“Best option for Italian food in Kailua town.....”
Review of Amici Ristorante Italiano - CLOSED

Amici Ristorante Italiano
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed May 28, 2014

"Everything's delicious, I hope?" overheard as our waiter Carl served another table with a single mom and her kids. This seemed to summarize our visit; everyone wanted us to enjoy our meal.

We made a snap decision to go out on a friday night and were early enough (6:30) to score a very nice table inside. Whatever issues they had with permits or whatever is clearly over, and the indoor has a very nice ambiance. I noticed two quiet and efficient a/c's at work. There was some dollars spent on this place, and it shows.

We each had one of the two specials of the evening; stuffed swordfish, and pork.... both were excellent, done in ways I wouldn't ever do at home, so it was a reminder of how many great recipes are out there. I'd like to see them expand their menu, but am pleased at what they do offer. We started with a salad that my wife and I split, just the right size for two.

They have a couple of tables that are arranged against some pillow backed seats, a nice touch for that romantic dinner to be able to slide over next to your date. One of those little details that I found endearing. I watched the wait staff, and they all seemed calm and organized. I didn't go out in the back to get any idea of the ambiance out there so I won't comment. They had a large party outside that was having a birthday blast and seemed happy. Looks like they could handle a large group inside as needed. I'd suggest reservations as a good idea.

I saw other tables with large servings of pasta that looked good. As designated driver I didn't partake, but the pours for wine looked reasonable, and they had a sampler for 3 tastes that looked like a good option. My wife felt her martini at $8.50 was overpriced.

Service was fine, friendly, and the staff happy on a busy Friday. My wife and I are happy to have an Italian restaurant we can drop in on or do take out from. I'll add more to this review when I do a takeout :)

Reviewed May 23, 2014 via mobile

Ellen said, "We'll drive to Kona-side, eat dinner, drive back. Saddle road is easy now."

Ellen said, "Its Italian, the menu looks great. "

Ellen is originally from California. It has yet to be proven to me that they have real Italian food there. But I grew up with the North End, I know there is more to life than red sauce.

It was in a strip mall. Not a real breaker, I have had awesome food in strip malls, two different sushi... never mind.

Inside, the decor was tasteful, sort of Tuscan. Not my speed but peasant. It was raining so we ate indoors. Fine with me. It was early for dinner so we had the place to ourselves. We'd made reservations, and add the night went on, it was a good idea.
it, add did the rest of the stagger, even

Our waitress was friendly, patient and playful. We can get very silly and she went along with it, as did the test of the staff.

Two of our party has food assault. allergies and she was able to answer all our
questions easily.

Simply outstanding service.

Food.

We shared the fried ravioli appetizer.they were dredged in panko crumbs and served with a Gorgonzola sauce. Delicious.

They always have a gluten free pasta offering.

I had a salad, it was Huge. Mixed greens, fresh cucumbers, a delightful vinagrette, and it cane in a small tub. The side salads filled the sacks plates nearly to overflowing.

The seafood salad had pickled veg I could not risk so I did not taste but it looked great, and was also served in a big dish.

The chicken (picatta?) Very nice, tender chicken, tasty sauce, very like a Marsala but with more bite.

The chicken with artichoke heats also yummy.

I had the garlic shrimp in cream sauce. It was pure garlic heaven. The shrimp we many and tender.

We could not stop eating even after we were all full, simply it tasted so good.

Dessert
Yes. We did.

Two of us went for the Lilikoi gelato. Three small scoops, and they could not finish it.

I was seduced by the promise of homemade Tiramisu. Mother of gods, it was bliss. It was perfection. It heaven on earth. I should have skipped dinner.

Wait. No, I shouldn't.

Reviewed April 15, 2014

Hadn't been there since their move to Kailua. Portions were and the quality excellent. Ordered bruschetta and cold egg plant as an appetizer. Quality and quantity excellent. Fortunately they ran out of the egg plant and only gave us a half serving which was more than enough. Split an order of Ono and pasta in a caper sauce with my wife. The fish was cooked perfectly as was the pasta and the sauce was divine. Once again, a very generous serving that was more than enough for the two of us.

Reviewed March 31, 2014

This restaurant is kinda hard to find even if there is a big sign advertising it from the road that runs by it. The entrance is in the back. Once in though you find a very traditional Italian restaurant. The menu is pretty extensive with many options. Four of us had an order of bruschetta and an order of fried mozzarella for appies to share. The orders were plentiful and very tasty. Sliced grape tomatoes on the bruschetta was different but great. Two of us had the ragu with meatballs which was outstanding. The other two had the fish of the day special, and both raved about it. We were too full to try the dessert, but the ones that went past our table looked delicious. Our server was extremely helpful. We will definitely go back when we are back to Kona for our annual vacation.

1  Thank Callingwood
Reviewed March 10, 2014 via mobile

We stumbled across this restaurant while hungry. Apparently previously south of Kona, that location closed when the theater closed. Now on the north side of Kona on Kaiwi street. Lunch was good, servers were attentive. I had the local fresh cod, wife and kids had different pastas. Think I liked my daughter's "red" sauce in the kids pasta the best. All sauces were freshly made.