“Good location, nice facility” 5 of 5 stars

WorldMark Kona
Alii Drive, Kailua-Kona, Island of Hawaii, HI   |
GreenLeadersSilver level
Honolulu
“Good location, nice facility”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2011

Kona worldmark is showing it's age a little, but is still a quality place to stay. The rooms were clean, plenty of towels, good appliances and furnishings. Plus it is only half a mile South of the main strip (Alii Drive) in Kailua-Kona, so there's plenty of restaurants just a short drive or walk away.

I only stayed a few days this time and last time I was here almost 10 years ago, we stayed a little longer. I stay in a lot of other places when I come to the Big Island (since I live in Honolulu on Oahu) but mostly on the Hilo side.

One huge complaint I have about this stay is that when I go to a time share on vacation I don't want to be bothered by sales presentations. I'm already a member -- I don't want an update or a special discount card or 3 phone calls inviting me to a presentation. I am not interested. Stop bothering me! I don't think Wyndham taking over Trendwest was a great idea to begin with and I think all it has done is devalue my points in the entire system. Thanks.

Room Tip: Stay away from the elevators, it gets noisy with the master bedroom up front.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
8 Thank osXmallard

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2011

We stayed here for one week and had so much fun! I booked all our activities through Rebecca of Expedia , she's very knowledgeable and gives you great and honest advice for the things you want to do.

The two bedroom suite was perfect for our family. We enjoyed the swimming pool every night but our kids were disappointed that they can only swim until 9p.m. What's up with that rule? They should let them swim until 10 or until closing. There is nothing wrong with kids swimming with older people. It's actually great family affair to have kids swim with older citizens.

Room Tip: There are no ocean views here.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank btreid
Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2011

I just got back from spending a week at the Kona Worldmark. My husband and I were pleasantly surprised by our 2 bebdroom condo. The rooms were spacious with all the ammenities, including a blender that we used nightly to make drinks. Obviously, this is not a luxury time share, but nothing was in disrepair. The pool and hot tub were nice and both were large enough to use anytime of day. I will definitely stay here again!

Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
5 Thank DrJV
Bonney Lake, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2011

We stayed here for 11 nights at the end of February 2011, We stayed in a 2 bedroom unit on the 2nd floor right above the hot tub. The units were quiet and comfortable. The pool is on the small side but still never felt overcrowded, the hot tub was large. The pool deck was plenty large enough with plenty of lounge chairs, regular chairs and tables. Their is a small covered area where the Expedia representative has a desk and does their presentation for Island activities. Their is also tables and chairs in this area along with a restroom. The activity price list is out dated and after asking the representative to show us the correct prices on the activities that had changed, we reserved a Zip line tour and after processing the request the price that was charged was higher than quoted. We asked for and received a full refund. We were able to book the same tour online for about $20 pp cheaper that what they were going to charge. They're are elevators on site but they are extremely slow, so we used the stairs as much as possible. Although both stairways are at each end of the building, to get to the parking lot, you have to walk back to the center where the elevator is to get to the parking spots and garbage dumpster, except for the stairway at the south end of the east building which accesses the parking spots at that end. I know,sounds like a petty problem but just isn't the most convenient when your unit is in the middle. (sniff sniff :) ). The location of the Worldmark, isn't the most convenient to shopping, beaches, restaurants, it is walkable, about 3/4 mile to the nearest place to eat. They're are a couple of very small convenient stores south of the Worldmark within walking distance. They're are no side walks in this area but the shoulders are wide enough to feel safe walking. Lots and lots of people walk along this stretch of road in the mornings. We were a little disappointed that they don't have a gym or work out facility on the premises. Would I stay here again, not real sure. We would rather be in a more convenient location or stay at an ocean front property. The lanai had 4 chairs and a table that overlooked the pool but when we are near the ocean we would rather look at that.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
3 Thank Liv2ski111
Honolulu, Hawaii
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2010

Our condo was nice, with all amenities you might need, clean, safe, friendly personnel and well located with a walking distance to Kailua Kona bars, restaurants and shopping.
All the condos are facing the pool/gardens or ocean view.
We had a nice stay and we will be back!
Drive around the island and visit East side of the island is very lush, with nice big waterfalls and Hilo and Pahoa are quaint old Hawaiian towns.

Enjoy life
Enjoy Hawai’i
Aloha

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Sebastianmiki
San Ramon, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2010

Yes-there are fancier places to stay in Kona area, but if you have Worldmark timeshare points this is a very comfortable accomodation! Building is 4 stories with 1,2, & 3 bedroom units, large pool and jacuzzi, and covered patio and BBQ area. Units well insulated--didn't hear our neighbors. Matresses very comfy, which is a big plus. Kitchen well stocked and spacious living room/dining area with nice flatscreen tv. (TV in master bedroom was small and older) Furniture is a bit dated wicker style but unit was decorated in nice Hawaiian motif and it is by no mean shabby. Property and pool are well maintained, but parking fills up.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank fperf
Seattle, WA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2009

The Conceirge doesn't actually work for Worldmark, but by agreement (and presumably some kickback arrangement) Expedia staffs a "Conceirge Desk" to sell activities to guests. I found the Luau at the Royal Kona Resort was actually cheaper to book on line (it was GREAT by the way), but did trust the Conceirge when she said that a snorkel trip by Sea Hawaii Rafting (SHR) was a great choice for families, and booked it through her.

I specifically asked if SHR provided infant life vests, because I had a 18 month old with me. It was not until we were on the boat and pulling away from the dock that I found out the conceirge was totally wrong about this. I would not recommend using this service - do it yourself on line (they have a computer for free use in the lobby) or go to Snorkel Bobs.

We did our "Owner Update" and were promised it would only take 45 minutes. Because of Worldmark's assign policy that both my husband and I had to be there, we had to drag our 4 year old and 18 mo old with us. We didn't get out of there until an hour and a half later...be warned.

Other than those two things, the place is very nice and well kept and is walking distance to the little waterfront strip of shops and resturants.

• Liked — Spaciousness and cleanliness
  • Disliked — Conceirge
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled with family