“WONDERFUL TIME”
Review of Kona Billfisher

Kona Billfisher
Reviewed September 11, 2012

We arrived to a wonderful welcome it was our 60th anniversary. We had a chilled bottle of champagne in our room. The room was very clean and comfortable beautiful art work comfortable beds(the bedspread was ugly). The staff was very friendly especially the gals in the office who helped us with touring plans around the island. People at the bbq area were very friendly a short walk to everything in this small town.We will always remember this trip and hope to come back one day.

Room Tip: rooms on the south side are quiet
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank nancy t

Reviewed August 1, 2012

Our family went to Hawaii for the first time and we stayed at Kona Billfisher. It was a nice place, safe and clean and very friendly service staff. It is also convenient for traveling in Big Island. We like the place.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank samsakkul
Reviewed July 16, 2012

First off, let me tell you - this place has it's good points. My wife and I stayed here for six nights. Our first experience with the staff set a precedent. We arrived earlier than the check out time and figured we'd asked. The front door was open and although there were signs saying "Check in at 3:00 p.m." we figured we'd ask and see. Rather than being politley asked to come back. The staff member said :"that door shouldn't even be open" and walked around the buidling to lock up the office. Okay... I'd say Strike one, strike two, but this place had far more than three strikes against it. We came back in, checked in, which went fine and were directed to our timeshare unit. I thought the unit was nice but dated. I think other timeshare locations, like Hilton, Marriott and Welk, where we own, have kind of spoiled me. I expected more from a timeshare unit than this place has to offer. Yes, it's clean, which I liked and had a comfortable bed and probably the most comfortable bath towels I've ever seen in a timeshare but the rest of it was dated. The rooms need a facelift. One thing to keep in mind though is that the place recognizes and admits that it's basic and nothing fancy, which I admire.

Our interactions with the staff were interesting. First of all, the housekeepers don't clean the rooms during the time you're there. In fact, they don't even come in the rooms. If you need clean towels, you put them in a bag outside of your room and they replace them. Can't they knock on the door? Also, and this was a new one on me, you have to pack out your own trask when you leave, What is this, a backpacking trip? My wife and I have stayed in several timeshares and we have never, ever had to take out our own trash at the end of the stay. In the manual about staying at the place they say that there's "a charge for cleaning the room." What does that mean? You don't take out the trash, they charge your fifty bucks? Also, they ask that you strip your bed when you leave and pile up the sheets at the end of the bed and pile up the towels in the bathroom. Also, in sorting the recycling they have not one but two reminders to properly sort your recycling so they don't have to do it. This place was strange - it's like your job in staying there is to make their jobs easier. Hey Kona Billfisher - we're guests!!! You're the ones that should be glad to have us there not the other way around. Their office hours are strange, too - they seemed to close at noon on weekends and have an after hours telephone number which we called, they called back and didn't sound very chirpy in helping us.

Okay now - that's the bad part. There are good parts. We couldn't lock our unit door and although they didn't answer the phone in the office when my wife called, they did try and help me when I went to the office. They do have a lending library of books, which I liked. The beds were very comfortable. We had a nice view from our room. The room was pretty quiet.

The location is great - great! Depending on where your room is you've got maybe, if you're walking slow, an 8 minute walk to good restaurants, an ABC store, shops and great views of the ocean. The units were far enough away from the road that you didn't hear the traffic. You really felt like you were on vacation. I really liked that about it.

Okay, so bottom line, would we stay here again? If we really wanted to stay on the big island, which we do love, and other timeshares weren't available, yes. This place, however, is the definition of average; while I thought that the accomodations and location were above standard, the service was poor so it comes out to an average rating from me... And I repeat, it's ridiculous to think that you pay for a timeshare, you pay maintenance fees, you pay a fee to stay at a timeshare outside of your own network, you pay a $50.00 registration fee, you pay a daily air conditioning fee (granted, this was optional) and they don't even take out the trash when you check out. I'm sorry, basic or no, that's unacceptable.

Room Tip: Ask for a place far enough up the hill to be away from the road and yet not so far that it's a l...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
17  Thank DTM46
Reviewed July 8, 2012

The location is perfect and the units are clean and comfortable. They have outdated decor but they are kept up well so that can be easily overlooked. They have all the amenities that you need for your home away from home (i.e., a full kitchen, bathroom, living room). I enjoyed my stay here.

Room Tip: Bring your own shampoo and lotion, they don't offer any in the rooms.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Kat V
Reviewed June 29, 2012

For experienced timeshare condo travelers who have swapped their places for a variety of others around the U.S. and other countries, the Kona Billfisher is neither at the top nor the bottom of the list of places. The grounds are nicely landscaped, the units seem to be decently cleaned, many of the units have been remodeled in the past few years and they have a nice floor plan with a separate bedroom that opens by sliding doors into the living room to create a larger space. The top floor units are the best, (although a bit of a hike) with the vaulted ceilings and windows, creating a lofty, airy feeling. Construction details of doors, flooring, appliances, etc. are all pretty standard but all look as though they have been well maintained and the appliances all worked as they should. The other guests, most of whom seemed to be owners there, were all very friendly and outgoing, as we met them around the pool and the BBQ area adjacent to the pool. Be advised you have to pay a daily surcharge if you want air conditioning, which seems to be a bit of a ripoff.

On the downside is the brusque and borderline rude manner of the woman who checked us in -- don't know ifshe was the manager or not, but she needs to take lessons on how to deal with the guests. She needs to be reminded that she is in the hospitality business, so how about showing a little hospitality to guests checking in?

On the plus side is the great location, right on Ali'l Drive, the road that parallels the beach. From the Kona Billfisher, it's a very short drive or a leisurely stroll north to the center of town, just 3 to 5 blocks away, with shops, cafes, bars and restaurants lining the street the entire way. The famous farmer's market is on the way into the center of town on the same side of the street as the Kona Billfisher, and is something not to be missed.And Kailua-Kona is a colorful, slightly funky and charming (although touristy) beachfront town, with plenty to keep you entertained, between the shopping, the farmer's market and all the nearby beaches.

Room Tip: Top floor rooms have vaulted ceilings with windows to let in more light and make it seem airy. Rooms...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ThorneBirdGT
Reviewed February 14, 2012

The location is perfect about a block to many shops, restaurants and bars. Our room was well stocked with everything we needed, newly remodeled and beautifully appointed.The staff was very friendly as were all the people we meant at the bbq areas, sharing their ALOHA and food. We were their for a family reunion and wedding, the manager was great and helped us with many of the details for family members "Big Day". Even gave us flowers for our family get together at bbq area the night before the wedding. Cozy great place, I would like to own there.

Room Tip: We had nice room on quiet south side with a nice ocean view and a beautiful tree outside our door. O...
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank lucy b
Reviewed December 27, 2011

We love the unit we rent on the top floor, but the units on the 1st abd 2nd floor are awful! There is no insulation between the floors and it sounds like a herd of elephants are walking on your heads. The biggest complaint is the rude manager. She doesn't check behind the maids to make sure they are doing their jobs of restocking the rooms with toilet paper or paper towels. I've had to go to the office numerous times to get towels and toilet paper that weren't returned in the inventory. I ran out of paper towels on Christmas. I waited until Tuesday to get some. The office was closed. I had to use the rest room and noticed there was a new roll setting on the floor. I took it and was walking back my room when the manager confronted me and told me how rude I was for taking it. I was shocked! I explained to her why I had taken it and told her if she was doing her job of checking up behind the maids this wouldn't happen! They are on a budget which is understandable, but this is bordering on chinsey and not doing your job. When I came into this unit there was no spare roll of tp and no spare roll of paper towels. On the plus side the location is great1

Room Tip: Get a top floor!
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family