“Big Adventure!”

The Volcano Van Private Tours
Ranked #32 of 212 Tours in Kailua-Kona
More attraction details
Owner description: We are a personal and private tour provider serving all areas of the Big Island of Hawai'i, We allow our guests to get an up-close look at the Big Island's great volcanoes, including world famous Kilauea, the most active volcano on earth. Whether you're staying in the rain forests of Hilo, or the sun-drenched beaches of Kona and Kohala; we'll pick you up and introduce you to a day full of unforgettable excitement!
Reviewed June 18, 2013

My husband and I were lucky enough to have Scott and his wealth of knowledge about all things volcano to ourselves for our recent "Big Volcano Adventure". This tour was definitely the highlight of our Hawaiian holiday. Scott is a wonderful tour guide and the day was full of fun and definitely adventure. Scott asked us what the highlight of our day was and I truly found it difficult to answer because around every corner was another amazing sight and story. The hike down into Kilauea Iki was amazing and the walk across the 'moonscape' to the 'bottomless' fissure was definitely special - especially the remnants of trees preserved by the lava - and then there was the red glow of Kilauea's lava lake in the night....WOW! Thank you so much for a very special day Scott - Janice & Denis

1  Thank janice h
All reviews
"the big island"
in 92 reviews
"volcano national park"
in 17 reviews
"malasadas"
in 8 reviews
"picked up from our hotel"
in 4 reviews
in 5 reviews
"thurston lava tube"
in 3 reviews

Reviewed June 15, 2013

The Volcano Van is a private tour of all of the best spots on the island. Scott knows just about everything when it comes the history of the island and the volcanos. Our family was blown away by Scott's knowledge. You will never get the tour we got and the beautiful sites we saw on a regular tour bus. We saw almost all of the entire big island.Scott even went back up to the volcano so we could see the glow of it at night. On the way home we stopped for these really good hot dogs Scott told us about but when we got there there was only one left and he ate it!!! Just kidding Scott we wanted you to have it and this way you won't forget us. Your tour was first class all the way!!!!!!! Sharon, Jeff, Logan. Lucas and Grandma Carol.

1  Thank Skamin85382
Reviewed May 13, 2013

My husband booked us to go on this tour. He spoke to Scott by skype before we went and Scott’s enthusiasm came across even then. I happily went along, though believed it to be more my husband’s thing than mine. However, by the end of the day I was just as hooked! Scott’s (and Becky’s) knowledge of the island and volcanoes in general is immense, and he patiently and clearly explained everything we needed to know. Right from the start they planned the day around what we wanted to see and do, and we had a great lunch at a local eatery and a picnic tea later on. All Scott needed was a bit of notice if we wanted rest-stops, as he needed to plan them in!
We saw some beautiful waterfalls and scenery off the beaten track, and obviously the advertised lava tubes etc. We went back at night to see the glow from the Kilauea which was stunning, and awesome to be able to hear the lava sloshing around from a distance. Scott and his wife Becky are great fun, and in some ways it felt like being out on a great road trip with our mates, who happened to know all about volcanoes!
Obviously I hadn’t done any comparison with the competing tours, but I would recommend this one way above any of the others – we just had a really great day!
- Anne (& Adam) - Derby, UK

3  Thank 866anneh
Reviewed May 1, 2013

My wife and I had an amazing day with Scott and Becks (and his mum!) travelling all over the big island. As others have said, Scott knows his stuff and is great at explaining about what you are looking at (apparently Lava doesn't go uphill!!). At one point my wife was attacked by a bee and Scott bravely flicked it off her head! A great lunch at a local eatery and then a picnic on top of the volcano before going back after sunset to see the lava lake reflecting off the clouds! Amazing!

Thanks Scot and Becks for a wonderful day. We loved your enthusiasm and your friendliness. It really was just like hanging out with a friends on a day trip. I would recommend this day out to anyone who wants to have an amazing day seeing waterfalls, volcanoes, and lava flows.

1  Thank adam d
See more reviews
Reviewed March 13, 2013

The Volcano Van is a private tour of all of the best spots on the island. Scott knows just about everything when it comes the history of volcanic activity and the island. My husband (who was a geologist) was blown away by Scott's knowledge - you're not going to get that type of commentary/information on a regular tour bus. Not to mention, we saw the tour buses and you DO NOT want to deal with those crowds (waiting for all of the other bus passengers to get on and off bus etc etc.). Scott knows of all of the hidden little spots (great waterfalls, an unbelievable fruit stand, hiking to craters/vents). If you want a comfy tour with your closest friends/family and get a great education, take the volcano van!

3  Thank aimeearis