“Best Surf Lesson for Newbie !”

Kahaluu Bay Surf and Sea
Book In Advance
More Info
$103.13*
and up
Small-Group Surf Lesson on the Big Island
More attraction details
Owner description: Get SURF LESSONS and RENTALS with Kahaluu Bay Surf & Sea in beautiful Kona, Hawaii. Winner of the 2014, 2015 and now 2016 Tripadvisor Certificate of Excellence award. Come experience the truly Hawaiian sport of surfing. Our friendly surf instructors teach people of all ages and skill levels how to surf in a fun and safe environment. We also have one of the largest selections of quality Surfboards, Stand Up Paddle Boards, and Snorkel gear for rent on the Big Island. The only surf shop located directly across the street from Kahaluu Bay, one of the best surfing and snorkeling beaches in Kona. So what are you waiting for? Book your surf lesson today!
Toronto, Canada
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Best Surf Lesson for Newbie !”
Reviewed January 9, 2013

Me and my buddy just took a lesson this morning. We never surf before so we are absolutely a newbie. When we get to the shop Isha help us check in and Ben got us sorted out with the gear and stuff. Ben is wicked friendly and awesome at explaining stuff, and we did a run down on the basic surf technique (how to standup, paddle, etc.) when we are still on dry land. We had a great time out there.

Personally i am not a physical guy so i got pretty tried after catching a couple wave...some of the wave are pretty big but i feel pretty comfortable after a little bit... the paddling is way more tiring then i thought..looks like i got some work to do with my upper body strength. I really appreciate Ben helping me paddle back out to the surf. I def'n will come back to surf with them. Thanks for the great lesson!

I would highly recommending taking surf lesson with Ben and Isha!

Jeff

Visited January 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Very fun teachers, safe place to learn”
Reviewed January 7, 2013 via mobile

Normally you'd think that a reef 5ft below the water with normal strong ripcurrents could be an unsafe place. But because of the people who live and work near this bay this is one of the safest places to hang out period. They wont even rent boards when the rip is strong. Despite how people may feel about that - I commend this act of preventing drownings.

The lessons with Ben and Isha were action packed. They made sure everyone got up on their boards. There were some good waves the day we went and we all caught some sweet ones. One thing notably different between our guides and the others out teaching this day - Ben and Isha helped push us up on to the waves when we weren't going to make it. We caught way more waves than the other surfing students! Very cool, we caught so many everyone had to take breaks during our 2 hour session.

Ben and Isha are very kind spirited people but aren't pushovers either. This couple has eaned my respect for delivering an awesome first surfing experience.

Cedar Rapids, Iowa, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“If you are a tourist looking to surf, this is where you need to rent”
Reviewed December 11, 2012

My Father and I decided to give surfing a go, however we chose not to get surf lessons (this comes with it's pros and cons, however somebody looking to become a surfer within the first hour, I'd recommend the surf lessons) and we were having one heck of a time. It takes technique and plenty of hours to be a self taught and even then, hitting consistent waves, is very inconsistent. The instructor Ben was out helping a couple people learn how to surf when he spotted my Dad and I struggling to hit a wave (it's pretty hard). For absolutely nothing in return, Ben called my Dad and I over and he gave us the pointers necessary for us to start being able to ride waves. The prices and quality of gear at this business ranges from beginners to experts and they will have what you need. Before I post this i feel it necessary to say that when the surf is not up and the waves just aren't there, Ben and Isha WILL let you know whether they think it would be worth your money to go out and give it a go. These guys are not out to take advantage of tourists, they are far too Aloha for that. If you want the Aloha experience in the ocean, this is absolutely a must for anyone. Thank you Ben and Isha.

Visited November 2012
1 Thank Dougismovingtokona
KaIlua-Kona, HI
“Great Stand up Paddle lessons, Great staff”
Reviewed November 28, 2012

I I recently moved to Kona and decided to try standup paddle and took lessons with Ben and Isha. The experience was awesome. I went on 2 separate days, the first day Ben taught me technique and the second day we concentrated on catching waves!! Ben was so fun and personable but also watched my technique and gave me great guidance on how to improve. He was enthusiastic and encouraging, and it made the whole process fun! So much so that the second day I did really well and caught at least 8 waves, riding in close to shore from out where we started. Its not a short distance! The bay has both smaller and larger waves, so theres a nice variety depending upon how good you get.. :)

Overall, i would highly recommend this company, Ben and Isha are so friendly and there are no gimmicks here. I just went out by myself today (yes rentals here are also easy!) and caught a few waves on my own- I think that says it all. I look forward to bringing my family and friends here when they visit!

Visited November 2012
Kailua-Kona, Hawaii
“Awesome knowledgable staff!”
Reviewed November 19, 2012

Isha and Ben are awesome! I moved to Kona and had to wait for my boards to get shipped out here, so I found these guys to rent from. The first time I visited I was unable to rent because of "high surf conditions", I was informed that the next day would be better. So the next day I was back and it was much better. Isha explained to me about the currents and what to watch out for(which helped out a lot). I have surfed several times but never in Hawaii so it was nice to have a local surfer explain the break. After I surfed I could understand why I was unable to surf the first day... The rip current at this spot is crazy strong and will wear you out quick. I truly appreciated the fact that they thought about my safety before the mighty dollar. I recommend these guys to everyone!

Visited October 2012