“Wonderful Spa Day”

Body Rhythms Massage and Spa
More attraction details
Owner description: Body Rhythms is Kona's most (and best) reviewed spa. We are centrally located, on Kona's "main" street. We invite you to visit us and relax and enjoy the warm, inviting, and unpretentious atmosphere. Located in Kona's iconic lighthouse building, our facility is modest, but is impeccably clean and comfortable. We offer unparalleled service and very reasonable prices. A one hour Body Rhythms treatment is actually over one full hour! All full body massages include a free hot foot soak, foot massage and hot oil foot treatment in addition to your massage time. Body Rhythms has free on-site parking.
Reviewed May 24, 2013

I treated myself to a 3.5 hour spa package, and was absolutely delighted with every step of my experience from booking the appointment online to leaving with a completely renewed spirit. Any part of the day would have been a relaxing experience, but combined it was fantastic, My therapist used great technique, and was very thoughtful about asking me for feedback to make sure I was comfortable at all times. The herbal full body wrap was amazing for my skin, and the combination of the body wrap with additional massage after was perfect. I received the hot stones treatment for the first time, and what a welcome addition that is to the massage experience! The mini facial, plus the hand and foot exfoliation, totally completed my blissful day. I enjoy massage treatments wherever I travel, and this one was among the best I have had!

Reviewed May 18, 2013

Thanks to David and the ladies, my friend and I had a great time at our massage. The team were very welcoming and so helpful right from my first email. With suggestions on how to get there without a car and aftercare, I felt happy and looked after the whole time. The couples massage was worth the time and money, I would go there anytime I'm on the Big Island!

Reviewed May 10, 2013

I was on the Big Island and wanted a good massage. I am happy to tell you I found one at Body Rhythms on Palani Road. It is located in the Blue Lighthouse and up the stairs. It is worth finding for a great relaxing massage. The owner David fit me in a very busy schedule. Be warned that you will be very oily when you leave, but relaxed. I have been to a lot of places for a massage and this one is worth the money. Give it a try if soar or having trouble sleeping. They include a foot soak and hot stones in the special.

Reviewed May 6, 2013

My wife and I just returned from a visit to the Big Island where we managed to both kink our necks and backs via surfing, cliff jumping, and other island activities. Passing through Kona on our way to the airport for our redeye flight, we were in need of some help. 3 Advil just wasn't going to cut it on the 5hr flight home.
We called and after giving him our story, the proprietor ended his dinner early, re-opened the place for us, gave us both terrific massages and sent us on our way to our redeye with time to spare. Prompt, efficient, good value, and just what we needed. The fact that they went out of their way to treat random visitors in off hours speaks volumes about their customer service. Highly recommended. We'll be using them again at our next visit.

2  Thank samchr
David M, Owner at Body Rhythms Massage and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded May 9, 2013

Thanks for coming! You were both very kind and considerate and were truly a pleasure to serve. I'm glad we were able to alleviate some of your pain, and get you out on time to catch your flight home. Hope you had a good trip and we look forward to seeing you on your next trip to Kona.

Reviewed May 4, 2013

I booked a reservation after seeing great reviews on Trip Advisor, especially after seeing one from an athlete who was worked on by one of their masseuses after Ironman.

Well, I was disappointed. I booked a Nenewed Spirit for two people. It's a 2 hours long package that includes a salt scrub, hot oil scalp massage and an hour long massage. The salt scrub was lovely, and certainly the best part of the package. It felt great to get all the dry skin from the previous days scoured off!

The hot oil scalp massage was very lackluster and actually doesn't get out of your hair easily even with the shampoo I used in their shower (to wash off salt) The scalp massage itself felt featherlight and could have been relaxing if there was more pressure.

As a previous reviewer had said, I couldn't get any pressure. It felt like someone was just stroking my back in circular motions and none of my knots were addressed either. I did ask for more pressure, but the difference was indecipherable. I'm not really sure why they had us fill out the diagrams where we were feeling trouble spots if none were going to be worked on. It was relaxing to have the oil slathered on, but my shoulder is still sore and knotty as ever.

It was a long session, an hour of scrubbing and head massaging before the massage itself... perhaps she was tired? Maybe they should have an assistant or something to do scrubs and minor massages like scalp massages to save energy for the main massage.

My boyfriend's massage was excellent, according to him, so I think it's a hit or miss.

Also, a huge downside, I was startled out of my restful reverie by a customer coming through the door and loudly exclaiming she was early for her appointment. She continued to talk without any interruption from the receptionist, so you'll hear every conversation. Not quite so relaxing.

hint: look for the big light blue lighthouse building on Palani Rd. The entrance is behind the building, and not glaringly obvious. They also ask you to tip $20 per hour, rather than based on the rate itself.

1  Thank Fatchamyleon
David M, Owner at Body Rhythms Massage and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded May 7, 2013

To our client, we are sorry to hear your experience was less than exceptional. We were not notified by anyone that you were dissatisfied with your treatment. We phoned as soon as your reviews showed up on Yelp! and TripAdvisor. To date we have not received a response.

Using information provided in the reviews, the two therapists in the room during the treatment and the front desk host we are responding to the public as accurately as possible.

We are committed to a high standard of service and work hard to provide an exceptional experience during your visit with us. We will remedy the possibility of any noise in the lobby carrying into rooms by the end of 2014. Our spa is small and due to the building design we do have lobby noise carry into the treatment rooms on occasion. We do our best to schedule appointments at least thirty minutes apart to insure total quiet. The client arrived fifteen minutes late, despite which we chose not to truncate their treatment. Had they arrived on time, or, had we truncated their treatment, (which is the industry standard), there would have been no extraneous noise.

We never ask for tips, however, our intake form provides a guide intended for our international clients, explaining customary tipping practices.

The service received was a Renewed Spirit package. The client’s main issue seems to be with the amount of pressure used during the massage. During the intake process the client told the therapist she had in the past only received deep tissue massages. The therapist advised the client this was a relaxation massage. The therapist asked if she wanted to upgrade the massage portion of the treatment to deep tissue. The client declined to upgrade.

A deep tissue massage is required to “work out knots”. The therapist thought she was giving the client the massage she wanted. When the client asked for more pressure the therapist complied within the range of what a relaxation massage would call for.

This is a 2 hour package. The first hour includes a full body scrub, and a hot oil scalp massage followed by a shower. The second half of the treatment is a one hour relaxation massage. The massage portion in this case was 65 minutes.

This response is intended to clear up any confusion - not to negate the client’s feelings about their experience. We strive to constantly improve our service and will use this experience as a tool to help us achieve that goal. Thank you for your time.