We've had a great experience renting Shell's property on Kauai (Kauai Coast Resort at the Beachboy) on 2 prior occasions, and we just returned home from a week at the Holua Resort with similar results. We loved the tremendous space in the 2-BR unit (2000 SF, with 2 bedrooms down, a large family room/kitchen up with a queen sleeper, 2.5 bathrooms, and washer/dryer). The unit was spotlessly clean with everything in excellent repair and fairly new, and the grounds were lovingly maintained. We didn't use the pools much but certainly not because they weren't readily available, but did use the tennis courts on multiple occasions--there's a very nice tennis center on site with 11 courts, free to guests before 5 PM (and truly we probably could have used them after 5 as well, though we didn't). The only modest criticism I have is that housekeeping is spottier than at the Beachboy; in particular we had a recurring issue with towels being taken away but not replaced until we called (at which point they were always quickly delivered with aloha, in fairness).
We liked the location: Keauhou was close enough to the action in Kailua-Kona while still providing a less frenetic feel than staying directly in town, and was very convenient to the tours we did with Ocean Safaris and Fair Winds, both within easy walking distance in Keauhou Harbor. It's worth mentioning that at least at this time of the year, the Keauhou area is consistently overcast in the afternoon--as the primo beaches are 45-60 minutes north anyway and reliably sunny, this really wasn't an issue for us. In summary: well done, Shell; we will stay here again in a heartbeat if we make it back to the Big Island.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- FIVE-TIME WINNER OF THE CERTIFICATE OF EXCELLENCE! With a stunning coastal view of Keauhou Bay's private harbor, the Holua Resort at Mauna Loa Village invites you to enjoy your perfect Hawaiian vacation. The Holua Resort offers 73 spacious, air-conditioned villas designed with a Hawaiian flair. Each comfortable villa offers a private lanai or patio with ocean, mountain or golf course view. Step outside your door and enjoy six sparkling swimming pools and whirlpools, 11 world-class tennis courts, 4 pickle ball courts, a fitness facility, and even on-site activities. When you're ready to explore your spectacular surroundings, head out to sea for some of the best sport fishing in the Pacific. Surf crystalline tropical waters in the morning and snow-ski on breathtaking Mauna Kea in the afternoon. From fascinating sights and spectacular natural beauty to endless recreation, the best of the "Big Island" welcomes you Holua Resort at Mauna Loa Village for your next romantic getaway, family vacation or golf trip to Hawaii. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Hotwire, Cancelon, HotelQuickly and Evoline ltd so you can book your Holua Resort at The Mauna Loa Village reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holua Resort At The Mauna Loa Village Hotel Kailua-Kona
- Holua Hotel Kailua Kona
- Holua Resort Mauna Loa Village
- Holua Resort At The Mauna Loa Village Hawaii/Kailua-Kona