Holua Resort at The Mauna Loa Village
$189
  • Breakfast included
$1,379
$1,139
Kona Seaside Hotel(Kailua-Kona)(Great Value!)
$154
  • Beachfront
$381
$249
  • Pool
All reviewsparking garagetennis courtsfull kitchenhalf bathliving roomgolf coursethe big islandwasher dryergrocery storesmall swimmingkona country clubtime sharekahaluu beach parktwo storyocean viewboth bedroomskeauhou shopping center
FilterAll languages
Reviewed October 4, 2012

We stayed for 3 nights here and wish we had booked longer. We were celebrating our 32nd wedding ceremony and having booked a one bedroom villa we were upgraded to a 2 bedroom. Very spacious and quite. On arrival as we parked our car all our luggage was taken to our living accomodation by friendly and helpful staff. We were invited to welcome Luau and free drinks which was great after flying for 19 hours to get there.
Lovely gardens and honestly I am looking forward to going back one day. This place is great for families or couples.

Good restaurants are nearby in Kona although a bit of a drive out but the self catering units are very good

Reviewed October 3, 2012

This resort could have been a solid 3 star place. It wasn't fancy, but the landscaping was nice and the place was relatively taken care of. Though, the following things that happened, I just couldn't ignore and lowered my score for this place:

1. The night we checked in, we came from a more than 10 hour flight. We were extremely tired and ready to relax. We were not welcomed or greeted by the front desk staff. They asked us to wait when we communicated that we reserved a room there, even though it was late and we were the only guests there. They gave us the only room left, on the first floor. When I inquired about being moved to a room on the second floor, the woman in the front counter gruffly told me that "they don't do that". I asked if we aren't satisfied with our room, can we change it and she again curtly replied that "they don't do that" and any room changes are considered upgrades and would be charged an extra fee of $45 for a different room.

2. Doesn't matter who you book with, this place DOES NOT HAVE DAILY CLEANING SERVICES. We were abruptly told this when we were checking in. We only had one full cleaning day and the rest of the days only trash was taken out and towels were changed. When I inquired about this new detail that I wasn't notified by with Expedia, suddenly the man in the front desk that hadn't said a word until this point started rudely arguing about this. It was weird to be this tired and deal with staff that were jumping down my throat every time I was inquiring about an issue. It definitely was not the best first impression.

3. The woman at the front desk told us where to park our car and for the rest of the journey to our room, there would be a bell hop waiting for us to help with our bags. We obviously had a lot of luggage with us since we just checked in and when we got to the waiting area, there was no bell hop to be found. We waited for awhile but decided to walk to our room.

4. Our room was in the 16 complex which is almost at the end of the resort. It was a pretty long walk especially if you were tired after a day of activities. One of the days, we had a lot of rain and the outside walkway became completely flooded, up to our ankles. We noticed that the flooding did not occur in the other complexes since there were drainage systems. I guess they forgot to install a drainage system in this complex.

5. One night, we wanted to try out the hot tub. Big mistake. Didn't matter which one we went to, they were all caked with dead insects. The pool condition was slightly better in some of the places but still had a good number of dead insects. They don't seem to clean them out as often.

6. Our sheets were stained when we first checked in. Our comforter had an old blood stain. Our top sheet had some crazy translucent, wax-like stain. When we complained, they did change our bedding and sheets.

7. One of the days when we came back late after a long day of activities, there was a sign on our door saying that there was a "do not disturb" sign in front of our door and housekeeping couldn't come in to take trash out and change towels. We NEVER placed the DND sign on our door. We called the front desk to complain and they sent a bell hop to take our trash and give us new towels since housekeeping left for the day.

8. The bathroom was really outdated. The sink was extremely small and water splattered everywhere, every time it was used. The shower head was caked with rust.

Some minor issues that might be important are that this resort is not close to most things. The only restaurant somewhat nearby was Sam Choy's which closed at 9pm. Restaurants, shopping and other activities close extremely early on the big island. The resort also seems more fitting to families rather than couples, friends, single people or people there on business.

The morning staff, including front desk, were a lot nicer and accommodating. We did see a couple of moths and a beetle in our place but it's Hawaii and the resort was vigilant about bugs, having a scheduled spraying on one of the days we were there. Other than that, I don't think I will consider staying here again or recommend it to anyone.

4  Thank anon345
Reviewed October 2, 2012

You are guaranteed a quiet stay. This is the second time that I've stayed here. The first time was a few years back and pleasurable. This time was very different. Local teens rented out the condo beneath us for a birthday party- slamming doors, loud music shaking the floor, and screaming. I call the front desk to complain. This is a resort, not Spring Break. The front desk calls the room below and they tell the front desk that it's not them making the noise. Of course, we know this is a lie because the floor is shaking. We have to follow up 30 minutes later because the party is getting louder with friends showing up. The front desk tells us that they will send someone out to tell them to quiet down. Bear in mind I can hear the conversation from my front door. The person who answers the door below tells the front office person that they will quiet down. Of course, as soon as the person walks off, they crank up the music. At this point, paradise is ruined. I walk over to the front desk in person and tell them that either they move the party to a new room or we move to a new room. The front desk tells me that there are no rooms available and that the people below are checking out in the morning- also, that they have a three warning policy and then they will evict. Now at 9pm (four hours later), the front desk sends out someone to give the final warning. Once again, a whole bunch of slamming doors and laughing. It quiets down at 10pm. I thought at this point all would be good. At 2:30am, they come screaming back in, running around, slamming doors...this would go on until around 5am. So much for sleep. I try to call the front desk, but no one is answering- security is supposed to answer the phones during this time. I hate to have an actual emergency. So later that morning we go into the front office to complain. We get the same message of that they are sorry and the downstairs people are leaving today. They said we did the right thing to call the front desk. No offers about making it right, etc. Right now, I'm a zombie without sleep and my wife isn't happy at all (never a good thing).

I really hate to give one star given my past enjoyable here, but the situation really could have been handled better. There should be a no tolerance policy to such behavior. They've lost any future business from myself, family and friends- potentially tens of thousands of dollars per year vs the couple hundred you charged the teens- bad business in my book- penny wise, pound foolish. People go on vacation to avoid these situations.

So, if you visit the Kona area, stay somewhere else if you want to experience paradise.

Room Tip: I thought upstairs would be the best, but I was dead wrong. If you are doing the ironman, I wouldn't risk your sleep by staying here.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank redcyclist
Reviewed September 29, 2012

The grounds were beautiful, our room was impeccably clean and VERY spacious. I shouldn't even call it a room -- we had requested a 1 bedroom Villa but were upgraded to a two bedroom! It was great to have space to spread out. Every staff person was helpful, friendly and very responsive. For example, we put too much in the garbage disposal one morning, and a maintenance person showed up at the door 5 minutes after we placed the phone call -- it took him about three minutes to make the repair. The kitchen had all we needed, and the pools were clean. there's a bit of a walk from the parking garage to our suite, and we didn't mind it but older folks will want to take advantage of the golf cart service that is provided. There always seemed to be an employee in a cart willing to shuttle us to the room. We didn't need the concierge's suggestions for side trips as we had been to the Big Island before, but those who are new to the area may appreciate his advice. Close to the market and shops at Keauhou, we will stay here again.

Room Tip: We requested a room that was quiet overlooking the edge of the property, rather than looking in to the other buildings.
Reviewed September 24, 2012

We booked the resort on the same day due to a horrible night featuring flying 3-inch roaches at another place, and it was the best decision we ever made. We did have to wait for c.10 min before we could get checked in (the receptionist really should at least acknowledge the people coming in) but then she upgraded us to a 2-bed suite, which was absolutely enormous. There was a round living room with cathedral ceilings and 2 bedrooms coming off of it, plus 3 bathrooms, washer/dryer and a kitchen with full size appliances. It was very clean and looked recently renovated. A 4-person family would've had no problem staying here for a week or two as there was everything you needed. There was also a balcony and access to a variety of pools and relaxation areas - although it looked densely populated, we slept perfectly and there was no noise. The only 2 minor annoyances were that the a/c controls seemed to be broken (in the living room) and there were some tiny ants on the kitchen counter (so don't leave stuff there).

Best of all, the resort is really close to the fairwind cruises night Manta ray snorkelling, which was a really memorable experience. You could walk there in 5 minutes so no need to try to find parking. After the snorkelling we hung out at the heated pool - it was awesome. Would definitely go back.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple