“Great place to stay”

Holua Resort at The Mauna Loa Village
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed September 2, 2012

We booked it over phone. This is one of the best place to stay. Great Room, Super Clean, quiet, next to pool, easily accessible,great balcony.

Well, There is no downside to this resort.

Highly recommended.

Reviewed August 31, 2012

Nicely manicured grounds greet you as you enter the resort. Beautiful colors everywhere you look. I made an exchange with Interval International to stay at this resort. Upon checking in, I was told that they did not have a reservation for me. I presented the confirmation letter from II with the the pertinent information. They were unable to locate my reservation so I suggest confirming before you leave home. The lady at the desk was very accommodating and found us an available one bedroom (king bed). I requested an ocean view and she accommodated. I was very pleased with how this resort handled the error. Our one bedroom unit was lovely. The long lanai had a beautiful ocean view. Pool towels were in the unit, the kitchen was well equiped and the bed was quite comfortable. The next day, 2 robes and a box of candy were delivered to our unit. A complimentary newspaper was delivered each morning. The 8 pools and hot tubs were well maintained. The concierge was friendly. Since this is part of a timeshare, they did push sitting through a 90 minute presentation at one of their new sister resorts. The front desk will supply coolers with ice, beach chairs, umbrella, etc. for a small fee. Bathroom could use new caulking. Staff was very friendly.

Room Tip: Ask for an ocean view!
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank sanmuffen
Reviewed August 30, 2012

We booked using the "Green" promotion where you can save money by opting out of daily cleanings. This was perfect or us as I don't see the need to have my room cleaned daily. They will still come by and give you fresh towels if needed. We ended up with essentially a one bedroom apartment with a balcony, very large. The grounds were lovely. The pool is just average but I wasn't surprised since it looked the same on the website. The front desk staff were nice and helpful. If you want to save some $ on tourist stuff you can go to the timeshare presentation. The concierge will sign you up, just know that they are pretty salesy. Discounts aren't that deep for just two people, probably more worth it if you're traveling with a family. Just know that you have to drive everywhere from here, except you can walk to the Sheraton in 5 min for dinner.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 27, 2012

This resort was exceptional value.

We had a spacious apartment with king size bedroom big enough to accommodate our infant's travel tent and ensuite bathroom. Our living room was very spacious and also had a sofa bed and open plan galley kitchen, which contained everything we needed. There was an additional toilet off the living room. The decor was bright and cheery even if it was starting to look a little dated. The rooms were clean.

We didn't use the resort facilities (pools etc) but the resort made a good base for touring the island. We did day trips to Mauna Kea, Volcano National Park and a tour around the north-east coast.

Reviewed August 26, 2012

Stayed here for 3 nights on the way to Kauai. I loved the resort. Loved my unit especially the comfy bed. My only issues were personel!! I love to be near the beach or on it. You would need to drive to the beach. There were plenty pools we enjoyed. My husband suffered the whole time we were in Big Island with allergies so we did not get to do much. He was in a constant state of sneezing and watery eyes so was not comfortable anywhere but laying on the couch!! For that - it was awesome! I just sat on the deck and read my book. When we did venture it was within walking distance to food, stores etc even though we did have a car. I really enjoyed it. It was a few years ago even though I am putting 2011 on the review. I am catching up on reviews and can not pick a year older than 2011~~

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 23, 2012

This place is great for a family. We stayed here for 5 nights and the first few nights were great but then the giant roaches and geckos moved in. We only used air-conditioning and closed all doors and window so don't think this will help. The service and value of this place is great. To be fair, we only saw one roach (we thought it was decoration on a frame until it started moving) and one gecko. I didn't complain because we were here only a short time but I did get a letter saying they would be spraying pesticide soon.

1  Thank cass888
Reviewed August 20, 2012

We got a great deal on this condo. It was really lovely, only a few things to keep in mind. It was a one bedroom with one and a half baths. Free WiFi that was moderately fast. It was in great condition, very clean, with a super comfortable king bed and even the hide-a-bed in the living room was comfortable. Great bedding and towels, even beach towels! The kitchen had the basics. All of this was great. On the down side even though our neighbors were quiet, if they did make noise we heard it. Fortunately, they were quiet and so we had a lovely time. The condo was large and had a spacious feeling. We had a large deck with a partial view toward the ocean (in the distance). The odd thing is there is no easy way to get to a beach, so plan on driving. Also, the resort has all these small swimming pools (really small) and spas scattered around the resort. I like larger pools to relax by and swim in. These small pools would probably be okay for a family. They felt dinky to me. This resort is a 10-15 minute drive from Kona town, but 3 minutes from shopping, movie theater and restaurants. It is on the south side of Kona, so it is closer to the City of Refuge (where we like to snorkel). Be aware that there is Volcano Smog (VOG). This made it hazy and could cause people with lung issues problems. The air is clearer up in Waikaloa, where I am staying now. The VOG will likely be around for many years.

Room Tip: Some rooms had smaller decks and some were on the lower level. Try asking for an upper unit with a...
2  Thank GeoT