“Real deal”

Cuisines: Mexican
SF, CA
“Real deal”
Reviewed July 18, 2012

Agree with the guy from Thousand Oaks. Really solid flavors. Tasted all homemade. Bought a togo taco with rice and beans for the plane ride back to SF. Tasted as good as the many taquerias back home. Would for sure go back.

Waikoloa, Hawaii
“Good prices and that's my only positive”
Reviewed July 1, 2012

Heard Good things about this place so finally checked it out. Don't see what the big deal is. Go to LOS ARCOS up in the Parker ranch food court in Waimea. Wayyyy better. My favorite Mexican food place I've been to on this island. Don't let the fact that it's in a food court fool you. I've been there many times and still love it.

At El maguey we went on a Sunday afternoon. There was just the two of us and one other table. Food took a while to come and when it finally did they forgot something I had ordered. Overall it was ok. The waitress/cashier was never around and did not once ask how things were nor did our waters get refilled and that was the only beverage we had. Maybe I was supposed to get it myself?? Glad I tried it cause I wouldn't go back.

1 Thank cozmickissez
Kailua-Kona, Hawaii
“Reasonably priced, good Mexican food.”
Reviewed January 29, 2012

The restaurant was full when we got there but only had a short wait for a table. There was only one lady waiting tables and she was working hard but with a very friendly attititude. We both got the pork burrito, one with green sauce and one with red. The burrito was large and packed with a ton of smoky good pork. I loved the green sauce and my husband seemed to like the red. We'll get there a little earlier next time for faster service. I'd love to try some of their other dishes. I'd definitely go back.

“Great, authentic”
Reviewed January 28, 2012

This is a great find, featuring authentic Mexican-American fare. This place is a fairly small hole in a strip mall, but is obviously run by a native Mexican family. (Think, grandma and daughter in the kitchen, and granddaughter working her homework at one of the tables. I'm not sure that was the right mix going on here, but the scene aptly describes what we observed.)

My wife and I had a couple of the traditional combination plates, and were pleased with the quality and quantity of food, all obviously prepared fresh from scratch.

Recommended.

Bend, Oregon
“Large portions of authentic Mexican food.”
Reviewed January 25, 2012

El Maguey offers very good Mexican food of large portions for reasonable price! You will find authentic tamales, homemade tortillas, and tasty salsas. It's a family owned restaurant with good service.