“Small group tour with friendly staff!”

Kona Ocean Adventures
Ranked #5 of 208 Tours in Kailua-Kona
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Winner of the 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 and now 2017 Trip Advisor Certificate of excellence!. Come Experience the Kona Coast of the Big Island of Hawaii like never before. Private charters are our specialty! With a group tour, Swim with the spinner dolphins, snorkel with the manta rays at night, whale watch (seasonal),scuba dive or with a private charter, customize your water experience with Kona Ocean Adventures. No crowds, no rush, just a safe and exceptional trip for all. Family vacation, a spiritual journey, honeymoon, or simply looking to experience a once in a lifetime adventure, you have come to right place. We now have 3 boats to accommodate various size groups. With over 17 years of experience working the Hawaiian Islands, Captain Danny, Captain Laure and their crew will make your adventure a memorable one. We speak English, French, Japanese and Spanish (simply request a guide for that language if needed on your adventure)
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Activities for young children, Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed May 30, 2013

We did the manta ray night snorkel with Lindsey & Captain Rick. Lindsey was really cool and put us at ease before our manta ray night snorkel tour. It felt like it took 15 minutes or so to get to the site by boat. The waters were pretty choppy that day and I took a dramamine which unfortunately didn't help at all. In spite of the motion of sickness, we both enjoyed the tour. We lucked out and there were up to 15 manta rays that came out that night. I would recommend an underwater video recorder. Overall, both Lindsey and Captain Rick were very professional and we love that our group size was smaller so we could have more personal attention. Our only complaint would be to pay more attention to the small stuff like removing chip bags that have already been open before serving them to guests. There was a cockroach in my husbands wetsuit. I understand bugs get into things, but they should shake out the wetsuits before handing them to their guests to put on. It's the little things that count. We would recommend them for this tour and we would go back for their dolphin tour.

Danny and Laure S, Owner at Kona Ocean Adventures, responded to this reviewResponded May 30, 2013

Aloha,

Thank you so much for choosing us for your manta ray experience. We strive to provide the best possible service and appreciate all your feedbacks and comments.

Big Mahalo and warm aloha from Hawaii

Laure and Danny

Write a ReviewReviews (1,201)
All reviews
in 12 reviews
"highlight of our trip"
in 36 reviews

Reviewed May 28, 2013

We went on the nighttime Manta Ray Snorkeling tour and it was AMAZING! I was pretty nervous about getting in the water period, let alone at night and both Lindsey and Rick were great at making me feel comfortable and at ease.
I had read about the tours online and then again in a magazine at the resort I was staying at. I asked the concierge to book me a tour with the company in the article. They said they would but that they recommended Kona Ocean Adventures, so I figured if a big resort recommends them, they must be really good. Well, I was NOT disappointed...everything you need, they provide..including a snack beforehand, a warm rinse off and towels afterwards followed by hot coffee, tea or cocoa....
I cant say enough great things about KOA! Captain Rick and Lindsey were AWESOME!
It was an experience I will never forget and would do it again in a heartbeat! Cant wait to visit Kona again! thanks so much for the fantastic ride!! Kelly Anderson

Reviewed May 27, 2013

My family and I can't stop talking about our day on the boat with Danny and Laura. These two were the most caring, fun and professional people we have had the pleasure of working with in a very long time.
They hooked us from the phone call and their ability to accommodate our family group of 8 ( adults and kids). The three other companies we called either didn't call back or weren't very friendly on the phone. Once we arrived at the boat they very prepared for our special day. They had our snorkeling equipment ready, food and drink and a very clean boat (and it even had a bathroom if you needed it).
Once we took off we spotted dolphins early into the day and jumped off to swim. They then proceeded to one of snorkeling spots that only had 5 other people...AMAZING!!!! Homemade salsa and guacamole followed with lunch to replinsh our energy.
Laur was in the water with us the whole time to keep an eye on us and to educate us on the types of fish.
We can't say enough about the incredible hospitality of our two boat owners. Owning a small business myself I can truly respect the hard work this company put in to our special day.
Thank you thank you thank you for making it a wonderful and memorable day for my entire family!!
Troy Davis and the entire family

1  Thank TroyDaviss
Reviewed May 25, 2013

My wife and I went for the manta ray night snorkeling trip with Tim and Rick. There are another couple on board so it's a total of 6 people on the boat. We were a bit worried about the water temperature during the night but surprisingly it was very warm (and we have the wetsuits).

4 passengers share a floating board and the lights are attached to the board to attract plankton and in turn attracts Manta Rays to feed. Tim are also on the floating board and he is our motor to drag us to the best spot.

There are 4 rays show up that night and the view was spectacular! You can tell each of them from marks on the chest and Tim gave us a good introduction about that before we jumped into the water. One of them swimming to us chest to chest, and we could essentially touch it and we didn't do so only because we were told not to. It was so breathtaking to have these huge monsters swimming elegantly right beneath you.

Also, there was a professional photographer diving below (from a separate company) taking videos and photos for you and you and get those with extra charge ($52). We looked at the video and it was very good.

It was a really life time experience and a must-do on big island. I also recommend do this trip with Kona Ocean Adventures. Since we were a small group, Tim can drag us to the right spot. For a large group, you may have to stay in one fixed location.