I wish I could give this resort 3 1/2 stars, but I gave it 4 because it's better than "average", but not really "very good". Our experience at the Kona Coast was good, but we have been quite "spoiled" with our Marriott vacation condo stays elsewhere. However, there is no Marriott condo property on the Big Island, so we exchanged into this place. We requested a higher-up villa, and they got us one quickly on the third floor of building 15. Very friendly greeting and front desk staff. I hated the fact that you had to choose to have a.c. turned on for an extra $11 a day. My husband wanted to leave it off and have the tradewinds blow through our villa, but when we got into it, it was sweltering and so we went back and asked them to add it on to our bill. They then gave us a key to turn it on. But it was a little bone of contention between my hubby and me for the first few days, which is silly. They should just include it.
The bed was very lumpy and squeaky and the sheets were heavy and not very comfortable. Marriott's beds are so wonderful, so we were a little disappointed. The couches were not comfortable, and a couple of light bulbs were burned out. The maintenance guy came quickly, however, when we called. The bathrooms were large, shower dated and lighting faulty. One flat screen TV in the living area, older TVs in the bedrooms, but they worked fine. The condo itself was huge and well maintained with a large balcony overlooking the golf course and a view of the sunset from the front entrance railing. The grounds are lovely. This is NOT an oceanfront property! Only 2 small pools and no good nearby beaches, so if you want the beach, don't choose this. We went at a time when few children were there, and I can't imagine how crowded the pools would be at other times. Quite small. 3 decent hot tubs.
The kitchen appliances were all nice except for the 20 year old oven, which worked ok but was substandard compared to Marriott condos. Plenty of cooking pots and pans and dishes, etc.
The resort is located far enough away from the main dining/entertainment district of Kailua/Kona that you must have a car. You can't walk to many restaurants. We cooked in mostly, and did not eat at the resort restaurant. Parking was a nightmare when we did go to Bubba Gumps and the main drag. Having never visited the Big Island, we drove out every day to explore, putting over 1000 miles on our rental car over 9 days! We loved our vacation there, and the Kona Coast is a fine choice for a home base if you want to do what we did. But if you are looking for a more relaxed, pool/beach/tanning/eating out vacation, don't choose it.
Tip-DO snorkel the waters off the west coast. We went on a snorkel trip and then took our gear 2 other times to snorkel at the "Place of Refuge" and Mauna Kea beach. We swam with spinner dolphins, sea turtles, eels, and tons of colorful fish. Clear water, easy to navigate and wonderful. We are scuba divers, and the snorkeling here is almost as good or even better than many of our scuba dives elsewhere!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Kona Coast Resort on Hawaii's Big Island sits on 21 acres of lush, tropical gardens and offers spectacular views of palm trees and calm waters. 267 spacious and air-conditioned villas at Kona Coast Resort are designed with a Hawaiian flair. Each comfortable villa offers a magnificent Pacific coastline view or a manicured tropical garden view from its private lanai or patio and include full kitchens and all of the comforts of home. Enjoy two swimming pools (one family pool with a children’s pool and one quiet spa pool), three Jacuzzis, sauna, playground, tennis courts, volleyball, fitness center, and on-site activities like hula lessons and dive instruction. The abundance of things to do on the Big Island found within easy distance of the Kona Coast Resort is as remarkable as it is exhilarating. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Travelocity, Expedia, Priceline, Hotels.com, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Agoda, HotelQuickly and getaroom.com so you can book your Kona Coast Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Kona Coast Hotel Kailua-Kona
- Kona Coast Resort Hawaii/Kailua-Kona