“Awesome Fishing Charter”

TOPSHAPE Kona Sports Fishing
More attraction details
Owner description: Imagine a day on a luxurious 43' Cabo trolling the world-famous fishing grounds of Kona, Hawaii with Owner/Operator, Captain Al Gustavson. Our immaculately maintained 43' Cabo is an epitome of luxury gamefishing in Hawaii. With an air conditioned salon, Wi-Fi, master stateroom, shower and state-of-the-art amenities, TOPSHAPE is one of the most comfortable fishing charters you will ever experience. Captain Al Gustavson, the owner and operator of TOPSHAPE, has been fishing the waters off the Kona coast for over 25 years. So, whether you're seeking an elusive grander (1000+ lb billfish) or are looking to catch some of the Ahl (tuna), Mahi Mahi (dolphinfish), Ono (wahoo) or other gamefish in Hawaii, TOPSHAPE fishing is where it's at.
Reviewed December 2, 2013

Captain Al and John are great people who are knowledgeable and experienced in fishing the waters of Hawaii. Topshape is in immaculate condition and provides absolute comfort. On December 2/13 I chartered a trip on Topshape for my wife and I keeping in mind that my wife would not likely want to spend 8 hours on the deck. Topshape has an air conditioned cabin that is luxurious and provides the option to sit and rest, watch some satellite tv or have a nap if so desired. Captain Al and John are passionate about fishing and give their all! The highlight of the day was landing a160 pound yellowfin tuna to top the day off! We highly recommend Topshape and will come again!

Thanks again!

"top of the line"
in 10 reviews
"light tackle"
in 7 reviews
"highly recommend this charter"
in 5 reviews
in 8 reviews
"charter boat"
in 7 reviews

Reviewed November 28, 2013

2 days ago, I was minding my own business with all of my porpoise friends and their school of 300 comrades when Top Shape appeared in the distance. All boats had gone south for the day, but this one defied odds and came north... the captain's instinct was the best I had seen in years. I was immediately drawn to the Top Shape because of the fun and laughter that poured over its bows. Then I spotted the professional lure. It was so delicious looking that I ignored my porpoise friends' warnings. I was hooked, literally and figuratively, to the beautiful boat and its amazing crew. The rookie fisherman who had chartered the boat reeled me in with the greatest of easy because of the flawless instruction from Captain John and Firstmate Ryan. When they pulled me on board, I gladly volunteered all 140lbs of my flesh as a trophy. Back in the harbor, the charterers skipped down the dock as they took me home to feed their pregnant wives.
I've never seen so many smiles as there were aboard the Top Shape and then in the kitchen as the prepared my sashimi. My belly is delicious!

1  Thank Ryan K
Reviewed November 23, 2013

A day on the water was a gift from my new wife. The fishing wasn't great, but a as a whole, the trip was excellent. First and foremost the crew was great. They were very knowledgeable and personable. You can't help but notice the great condition of the boat and gear. There is a cabin with A/C and refreshments if you are on a long trip and need a break. If I ever have the chance to fish in Kona again I'll use the Topshape.

Reviewed November 20, 2013

After several fishing charters on the Big Island I have found the only boat and crew I will use. Not only are the boat and gear of the very highest caliber but the crew matches and even exceeds their equipment. They are committed to fishing and even more importantly: catching fish. Big fish. This is what they do.

This was an all day charter for myself with my wife and sister. Since I've had poor luck on previous fishing off the Big Island I thought I'd mix it up a bit and give my wife the first rod. That seemed to do the trick (with some help from the knowledge and skills of this crew). Since fishing had been slow close to shore the last while we went over 30 miles offshore to a hot tip received earlier by the crew.

What a great choice. Fishing is luck combined with skill. The boat this day had both. We ended up boating 14 fish total. The largest fish was my wife's mahimahi at over 35 pounds. It was longer than she is tall (she denies it). At times we had 3 fish hooked up at once. What amazing action, and on light tackle too.

I didn't think my arms would get tired of reeling in fish but it is possible! Mahimahi, ono (wahoo) and ahi (tuna) rounded out the species. And the taste later at the BBQ. The boat lets you keep as little or as much of the catch as you wish.

On the way back to port we trolled. I mentioned to the captain that it would be nice to catch a billfish and sure enough, he obliged! After a short(ish) fight using the fancy fighting chair a rare short-billed spearfish was tagged and released.

What an amazing way to finish the day.

Next visit to the Big Island I'm hoping for a large marlin. I can guarantee it will be on Topshape. It'll be hard to improve on this outing, but given how hard this boat works, I would expect it.