“A 140 pound yellowfin tuna's perspective” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of TOPSHAPE Kona Sports Fishing

TOPSHAPE Kona Sports Fishing
More attraction details
Owner description: Imagine a day on a luxurious 43' Cabo trolling the world-famous fishing grounds of Kona, Hawaii with Owner/Operator, Captain Al Gustavson. Our immaculately maintained 43' Cabo is an epitome of luxury gamefishing in Hawaii. With an air conditioned salon, Wi-Fi, master stateroom, shower and state-of-the-art amenities, TOPSHAPE is one of the most comfortable fishing charters you will ever experience. Captain Al Gustavson, the owner and operator of TOPSHAPE, has been fishing the waters off the Kona coast for over 25 years. So, whether you're seeking an elusive grander (1000+ lb billfish) or are looking to catch some of the Ahl (tuna), Mahi Mahi (dolphinfish), Ono (wahoo) or other gamefish in Hawaii, TOPSHAPE fishing is where it's at.
Hawaii Volcanoes National Park, Hawaii
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A 140 pound yellowfin tuna's perspective”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2013

2 days ago, I was minding my own business with all of my porpoise friends and their school of 300 comrades when Top Shape appeared in the distance. All boats had gone south for the day, but this one defied odds and came north... the captain's instinct was the best I had seen in years. I was immediately drawn to the Top Shape because of the fun and laughter that poured over its bows. Then I spotted the professional lure. It was so delicious looking that I ignored my porpoise friends' warnings. I was hooked, literally and figuratively, to the beautiful boat and its amazing crew. The rookie fisherman who had chartered the boat reeled me in with the greatest of easy because of the flawless instruction from Captain John and Firstmate Ryan. When they pulled me on board, I gladly volunteered all 140lbs of my flesh as a trophy. Back in the harbor, the charterers skipped down the dock as they took me home to feed their pregnant wives.
I've never seen so many smiles as there were aboard the Top Shape and then in the kitchen as the prepared my sashimi. My belly is delicious!

1 Thank Ryan K

Evergreen, Colorado
“Great day aboard the Topshape”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2013

A day on the water was a gift from my new wife. The fishing wasn't great, but a as a whole, the trip was excellent. First and foremost the crew was great. They were very knowledgeable and personable. You can't help but notice the great condition of the boat and gear. There is a cabin with A/C and refreshments if you are on a long trip and need a break. If I ever have the chance to fish in Kona again I'll use the Topshape.

3 attraction reviews
“Professional Crew - Professional Boat - Professional Result”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2013

After several fishing charters on the Big Island I have found the only boat and crew I will use. Not only are the boat and gear of the very highest caliber but the crew matches and even exceeds their equipment. They are committed to fishing and even more importantly: catching fish. Big fish. This is what they do.

This was an all day charter for myself with my wife and sister. Since I've had poor luck on previous fishing off the Big Island I thought I'd mix it up a bit and give my wife the first rod. That seemed to do the trick (with some help from the knowledge and skills of this crew). Since fishing had been slow close to shore the last while we went over 30 miles offshore to a hot tip received earlier by the crew.

What a great choice. Fishing is luck combined with skill. The boat this day had both. We ended up boating 14 fish total. The largest fish was my wife's mahimahi at over 35 pounds. It was longer than she is tall (she denies it). At times we had 3 fish hooked up at once. What amazing action, and on light tackle too.

I didn't think my arms would get tired of reeling in fish but it is possible! Mahimahi, ono (wahoo) and ahi (tuna) rounded out the species. And the taste later at the BBQ. The boat lets you keep as little or as much of the catch as you wish.

On the way back to port we trolled. I mentioned to the captain that it would be nice to catch a billfish and sure enough, he obliged! After a short(ish) fight using the fancy fighting chair a rare short-billed spearfish was tagged and released.

What an amazing way to finish the day.

Next visit to the Big Island I'm hoping for a large marlin. I can guarantee it will be on Topshape. It'll be hard to improve on this outing, but given how hard this boat works, I would expect it.

Visited October 2013
Evergreen, Colorado
“Top Shape Fishing”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2013

Our trip aboard this beautiful boat was excellent.
Great Captan and crew with fine fishing gear.
They made sure we caught some fish and it was great and relaxing fun.

Kailua Kona
“Best Big Island Sports Fishing Experience!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2013

I highly recommend TOPSHAPE! The boat is amazing, the crew is outstanding, and the fishing is excellent! This experience was one of our favorite things during our stay on the Big Island! Everyone had a great time and will remember the experience for a lifetime!