“First class sport fishing”

TOPSHAPE Kona Sports Fishing
More attraction details
Owner description: Imagine a day on a luxurious 43' Cabo trolling the world-famous fishing grounds of Kona, Hawaii with Owner/Operator, Captain Al Gustavson. Our immaculately maintained 43' Cabo is an epitome of luxury gamefishing in Hawaii. With an air conditioned salon, Wi-Fi, master stateroom, shower and state-of-the-art amenities, TOPSHAPE is one of the most comfortable fishing charters you will ever experience. Captain Al Gustavson, the owner and operator of TOPSHAPE, has been fishing the waters off the Kona coast for over 25 years. So, whether you're seeking an elusive grander (1000+ lb billfish) or are looking to catch some of the Ahl (tuna), Mahi Mahi (dolphinfish), Ono (wahoo) or other gamefish in Hawaii, TOPSHAPE fishing is where it's at.
Reviewed July 28, 2013

I am visiting the Big Island with my wife and three boys (ages 10, 8, 6) and decided to take them sport fishing. My boys are very active so it was important that I manage their expectations in advance because I know that sport fishing is hit or mss. I chose a half day excursion on TopShape because of its excellent reviews on TripAdvisor. It was a wise decision. First, Capt. Al and first mate John were outstanding. These guys KNOW fishing. More important to us, they obviously have experience with young kids because they were very patient and seemed to enjoy having three curious kids on the boat. Second, the boat is beautiful, has state of the art equipment, and is extremely comfortable. My wife did not get sea sick, which allowed us to extend the half day outing by an additional two hours. Third, the seas were calm in part because the boat leaves from a harbor south of the airport in Kona, which is further away from the rough waters between the Big Island and Maui. The boat was in 3000 feet deep seas within 10 minutes of leaving the harbor. Most important, we landed a 35 pound Wahoo (known as an Ono in Hawaii), which my 10 year old reeled in. It was the largest catch of his life. John filleted it for us and we had a family feast the next night. It was a fantastic experience. Thank you Capt. Al and John!

All reviews
"light tackle"
in 7 reviews
"top of the line"
in 10 reviews
"highly recommend this charter"
in 5 reviews
in 8 reviews
"charter boat"
in 7 reviews

Reviewed July 27, 2013

I've been on numerous boats and numerous charters all over. (Maui, Big Island, Washington and California) None of them even come close to comparing to my experience on the TOPSHAPE. We did an all day charter and I really didn't want it to end. They keep their vessel in IMMACULATE condition (Topshape really is topshape!) and it has all the amenities you could ask for. I mean, come on. Air conditioning? TV? We were one of the lucky ones who hooked up to a Marlin that was about 200lbs. John instantly went into action. Al carefully guided the boat and we landed it! What a rush! Bottom line: They know their stuff and they are genuinely good people who will take the best care of you. I have NEVER had an experience like I had with them and when I return to that beautiful Honokohau Harbor they are the only ones I will be trusting to show me a good time! Thank you SO very much Al and John-I will never forget my day with you guys!

Reviewed July 26, 2013

We (family of four) had an excellent day on the water with Captain Al & John. they made us feel really welcome from the start. The boat is great, kept in immaculate condition and the equipment is top end.
The scale of the drop offs and sub-surface structures is incredible and the sea conditions were perfect. John gave us a really good briefing on the boat, game fishing in general and the Kona area as we trolled lures from just outside the harbour. His enthusiasm,skills & willingness to share his knowledge really made the day for us all.
We hooked up late morning and boated a lovely Ahi (yellowfin tuna). I was very impressed with Als handling of the boat both here & in the harbour.This was my first big game fish and has got me wanting more. I'm already planning how to get back and chase one of those big blues, hopefully with a fishing mate or two.
I'm also going to be setting my boat in NZ up so we can try for the striped marlin that arrive in the summer.
All in all, a great day with a fantastic couple of guys. I would recommend TopShape to anyone thinking of game fishing out of Kona.

Reviewed July 20, 2013

This is by far, is THE best sport fishing experience I have ever had onboard this amazing boat! I had an opportunity to take my father and brother fishing in Kona, HI for a two day trip... Being that I rarely get to see them, it was very important that everything go smooth for us. I couldn't have asked for better treatment... As soon as we got onboard to begin the first day of fishing, they captain and crew were all smiles and make you feel very welcomed and comfortable... by the end of the second day, they were still smiling and just as polite and accommodating as ever! If you're looking for a great fishing trip for your family, they are THE only team to book a charter with! Thanks Capt Al and John for a superb two day trip onboard your boat... top notch gear, air conditioning, and all smiles... what a trip!

See more reviews
Reviewed July 19, 2013

We had heard good things on Tripadvisor and we also did some research on them as well. The reports did not disappoint. Captain Al and First Mate John were top notch. They were easy to talk to and John and had Florida in common. Unfortunately, we didn't catch anything that day but we know fishing and what can happen. I'm still lookng for that elusive Blue Marlin. Their CABO is absolutely gorgeous. It's immaculate from top to bottom. The fishing tackle is also top notch. We saw some dolphin on the way out of the inlet. The seas also cooperated with 1-2 foot rollers. We just couldn't get the fish to bite the lure and we tried between 40-60 lures that day including the famous FSU! (First Mate John's Favorite and mine to) Overall it was a great experience and can't wait to go back and fish with them again.