“Great trip on a great boat.”

TOPSHAPE Kona Sports Fishing
More attraction details
Owner description: Imagine a day on a luxurious 43' Cabo trolling the world-famous fishing grounds of Kona, Hawaii with Owner/Operator, Captain Al Gustavson. Our immaculately maintained 43' Cabo is an epitome of luxury gamefishing in Hawaii. With an air conditioned salon, Wi-Fi, master stateroom, shower and state-of-the-art amenities, TOPSHAPE is one of the most comfortable fishing charters you will ever experience. Captain Al Gustavson, the owner and operator of TOPSHAPE, has been fishing the waters off the Kona coast for over 25 years. So, whether you're seeking an elusive grander (1000+ lb billfish) or are looking to catch some of the Ahl (tuna), Mahi Mahi (dolphinfish), Ono (wahoo) or other gamefish in Hawaii, TOPSHAPE fishing is where it's at.
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Great trip on a great boat.”
Reviewed October 31, 2012

My friend, 7 year old daughter ,and myself went out with captain Al and John this week. We had a great day. Captain al found a beautiful 35 lb mahi mahi in the morning. Good fight and even better dinner. We then threw out small gear and my 7 year old brought in a 2-3 lb skipjack tuna-narrowly beating a dolphin to the catch. A few hours later we found an enormous school of porpoise and tried to get some ahi strikes. No luck but they were down there.

Captain and mate were friendly knowledgeable and razor focused on getting us fish.

The boat was spectacular. True luxury from stem to stern.

These trips aren't cheap but for the product he delivers top shape is well worth the money. Hope to return someday.

Pacific Grove, California
“The Highlight of our Kona Vacation”
Reviewed October 19, 2012

We had the pleasure of spending seven wonderful days in Kona, Hawaii and did something different everyday we were there. By far, the most memorable day of our trip was the day we spent aboard the Sport Fishing boat Top Shape. Our outing not only included a day of big game sport fishing, but also included snorkeling in the same waters Captain Cook once sailed, a great BBQ'd lunch, and wonderful conversation with Captain Al and John, his right hand man. This was our first Sport Fishing trip and we feel fortunate to have found the Top Shape. This boat is simply extraordinary. The quality and cleanliness of the boat, and the years of experience of the crew truly made this a trip of a life time. Thank you Captain Al and John, we hope to come back soon and do it all over again! That's a promise!

Visited October 2012
San Antonio, Texas
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Top Shape=Luxury & Excitement”
Reviewed October 9, 2012

We chartered a 6 hour fishing trip with Top Shape in August this year. The captain and crew were super nice and knowledgeable. We did not get much action for a few hours so some of us took a nap, which was easy to do in the super luxurious,comfortable, and air conditioned cabin. Then all of a sudden we hooked a 170lb Marlin!! It was really exciting to catch everything on video. First mate John was a great guide as we reeled the fish in. Capt Al was an expert in terms of driving the boat so we could get the fish in easily. We did a tag and release, but good thing we got some awesome video from John's go pro cam. I wish we could have gotten more bites, but yeah- I know it's called fishing.

I would also advise taking motion sickness pills and starting off with a good breakfast before getting on the boat. None of our party got super sea sick, but it did lull us to sleep and I did feel better laying down at times.

Drinks and small snacks were provided on the boat, but we did pack our own lunch.

If you are looking for a legit, professional fishing charter in Kona, Top Shape is an excellent option.

1 Thank LIsa H
Derby, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“simply the best”
Reviewed September 26, 2012

I wasnt bothered about seafishing but my sons were keen.Thank goodness i decided to go along with them.We did many things on holiday and this has got to be the best.From getting on the beautiful boat,we were made very welcome by Cpt Al and Cpt John.Both of them really enjoy what they do and are very passionate about their fishing.Its definatly NOT a job to them ,more of a hobby.I was the first to catch a Marlin at 145lb.Then my son John caught an Onho? at 45lb.My son Matt then caught a 150lb Marlin.Even if we hadnt caught a thing ,it wouldnt have mattered because we all enjoyed the trip so much,and, company of 2 great guys.Just wish i could do it all again.Thankyou guys ,You were awesome. Sue.,John and Matt......Derbyshire.....England

Chesterfield
“Amazing....Just Do This!”
Reviewed September 9, 2012

This was the best trip that we did whilst in Hawaii and we did just about everything...We all caught our biggest ever fish.....you have to do this trip.
From the moment we landed on the peer Captain Al and John were absolutley fantastic. Both were very knowledgable and to say they are passionate about Sport Fishing is an understatement.
The boat (a 43 ft Cabo) is truly outstanding and well maintained - the 2 x 800 horsepower Mann engines are something else. There is plenty of space as you can imagine.
We did the 3/4 day (6 hours) and took my Mum along as she had identified Sea fishing as being on the old bucket list ...... you can imagine her excitement at reeling in a 150lb Marlin that we tagged before releasing. We also caught another 150lb Marlin and a 45lb Ono (Wahoo).
Captain Al also managed to find us some Dolphins to take some pictures of and we even saw a Bronze Whaler Shark cruzing past.
The conversation constantly flowed and we had a laugh - My mum nearly talked John's ears off but I know he didn't mind.
Al is extreamly passionate about this business and this is mirrored in every aspect of the Tour. We had a brilliant day with Topshape and I will definitely fish with them again...one day.