“A must do!”

Mauna Kea Summit and Stars Small-Group Adventure Tour
$196.88*
Mauna Kea Sunrise Experience
More attraction details
Owner description: The vision of Hawaii Forest & Trail is to share the splendor of Hawai’i Nei and inspire a deep connection with our natural world.
Reviewed September 5, 2013

Plan a full day for this trip, it's worth it. Drive through Hilo and stop by the farmers market for fresh fruit, veggies, jams, and fresh coconut cut while you wait! The forest tour is amazing! The best part is the lava tube! You can walk completely through it!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,918)

Reviewed September 3, 2013

I really enjoyed the forest and nature trail. The tour guide was very knowledgable. An experience I will not forget.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

We did HFT's "Zip and Dip" as a family of 5 (kids 16, 13, 11). It is a l-o-n-g, exhausting day that will leave a smile on your face for years to come. Harboring a slight fear of heights, I was really reassured by Chris (our Lead Guide) wrt safety by his calm voice, knowledgeable (but fun!) demeanor, obvious experience. Jeremiah (our Partner Guide), on top of his experience, was really so entertaining and reminded me by example to relax and have fun with it. Both guides made the zipl portion of our trip really a joy - the kids especially LOVED it, & the happy yells of pure exhilaration from the whole family were genuine testaments to how special the experience was. A beautiful, private stop overlooking Pololu Valley for lunch was the precursor to the "dip" portion of our day. An easy "hike" to a series of secluded waterfalls was very pretty (Chris did a great job of pointing out and explaining what we were seeing/doing all the way), and the swim in one of the waterfall pools was invigorating and just plain cool. So glad we did this trip! (Attention Folks prone to motion sickness - the zip itself and the drive to the waterfalls are pretty intense. You may want to think about preventative care before embarking on this adventure!)

Reviewed September 2, 2013

This was my first trip to the Big Island and I thought the Twilight Volcano Adventure was just perfect for me. I arrived at Hawaii Forrest and Trail at 1020 am. The tour guide Matthew was very personable and made us all feel welcome immediately. Even before the official tour started he answered our questions and talked about the many interesting and beautiful things we were in store for.

After everyone in the group was collected from their various hotels, we began our incredible journey across the Big Island from Kona through Hilo and ultimately to the Volcano National Park. It was a very relaxed tour. I didn’t feel rushed (as often happens on tours where a lot of ground is covered in a relatively short period of time.) I am not going to describe every aspect of the tour, but I would like to highlight a few things that were unexpected and added quality to the tour.

Early on in the tour we witnessed the “Island Graffiti” along the road to Hilo. The graffiti is done using white coral on the black lava rocks. Some were just names basically saying “I was here” or team mottos ranging from local high school teams to international champion teams, while others were memorials to lost loved ones. It was very cool.

We were fortunate enough to see a Nene during our tour. A Nene is also called the Hawaiian Goose (the official bird of the state of Hawaii) and it is an endangered species. We didn’t expect to see any of these birds because it is the beginning of breeding season and the female of the species incubate their eggs for approximately a month while the males guard them. Matthew made it a point of turning around and stopping the van close to where the bird was spotted. It was a very unexpected and wonderful addition to our trip.

Towards the end of our tour, after the sun went down, we went back to the crater and saw the beautiful orange glow of the volcano. Matthews knowledge, expertise and delivery of information about the island and its volcanoes was remarkable and well worth the trip, but add to that the crystal clear sky teaming with stars and I really don’t think we could have asked for a better day.

Reviewed September 2, 2013

Amazing tour of waterfalls, trees, and plants located on private area that can only be accessed by Hawaii Forest and Trail using a Pinzgauer all-terrain 6WD utility vehicles. Alisen and Gary were great and very knowledgeable tour guides and made the tour fun. Lunch at the Pololu Valley Lookout provided a fantastic view of paradise.