“Magical”
Review of Dolphin Essence

Dolphin Essence
More attraction details
Owner description: Wild dolphin swims and humpback whale watching
Reviewed June 21, 2013

We went out with John Float on our last day on the Big Island and it is an experience I will never forget. We weren't even out of the marina before we encountered our first pod of spinner dolphins and it only got better. A small Zodiac is the perfect way to interact with the dolphins. I could see, in other boats, they just plop the group in the water, but John takes a much more intimate approach. He paces the pod, so that they are swimming all around you. It's really so much better than I can even describe. I count it as the highlight of our trip to Hawaii and on the short list of best memories of my lifetime.

Marcy W.

Reviewed May 12, 2013

A one of a kind ,life changing experience!! Glad we did this instead of para sailing! Our guide and captain, John Float is an expert naturalist who taught us a ton about the dolphins and ocean life! We will be back for the humpbacks in January.

Reviewed January 19, 2012

Better than the average dolphin excursion because you are limited to only six people in the boat. John took really nice care of us. We saw dolphins, whales, and manta rays and had many opportunities for swimming with both dolphins and manta rays.

Reviewed December 29, 2011

In December 2011, I went on John Float's boat, of Dolphin Essence, in Kona, Big Island, Hawaii to swim with the dolphins. There were 100's and we also saw 7 beautiful manta rays. John is very attuned to the dolphins, and always finds them. He is very respectful of all sea life as well as of his guests. He only takes 6 people at a time, and he really cares about you. He offers healthy snacks, plays beautiful meditative music, has a great sense of humor, and generously shares his deep knowledge of the oceans. I highly recommend this trip to anyone who wants an unusual dolphin encounter. Aloha. Mary

Reviewed June 4, 2011

The Big Island offers one of the most unique experiences in the world, where you can join several pods of wild dolphins as they swim south along the coast in their daily routine. This is experience is different from meeting dolphins in captivity. While that may be more appropriate for non-swimmers or for those who really want to touch the animals or see them perform trained tricks, this experience is better for people who truly appreciate seeing wildlife in their natural habitat. Tour operators take you to meet up with these dolphins in their trek down the coast, drop you in the water so the dolphins swim by you, then pick you up and motor you ahead of the dolphins again after they pass by.

While there are 5 or 6 such tour operators, I would never choose anyone but John Float with Dolphin Essence. First and foremost, John limits his boat to 6 passengers, far fewer than the 15-30 allowed by other boats - the biggest advantage of this is that your "team" is more agile getting into and out of the water. This is important because the dolphins move fast - they don't just hang around you and play like Flipper - they will pass by in a few short minutes and you have to be able to get loaded back up to motor ahead of the pod again.

Secondly, John uses a Zodiak boat, which is much smaller than most. The advantage to that is that when you're in the boat and the dolphins are swimming alongside it, you are within inches of them. You see them surface to breathe, they swim on all sides of the boat, and in my most recent trip, one of them swam alongside us and slapped his tail on the water hard enough to splash us on the boat. Even the non-swimmers in the group really enjoyed this part of the tour.

Finally, John is simply a beautiful person - versed in Hawaiian ways, sincere in his love for the ocean and the dolphins, and trusting in a way that I as a mainlander was not prepared for. He worked really hard to be sure he found the best situation for our group and tried to stay away from the crowds from the bigger boats.

Some things to consider: while swimmers and non-swimmers alike can gain something from this experience, I recommend that only good swimmers should enter the water. The dolphins are not going to come up to you if you're just hanging out in the water - you need to be moving along at a good clip to experience these dolphins as they swim. Also, while I prefer the smaller boat, I could imagine that in rougher seas (it was as smooth as glass the day I went), a smaller boat might be more difficult for those unaccustomed to being on the water. Finally, the focus of the day is on getting in the water with dolphins and not on a gourmet meal, so fuel up ahead of time. John did offer some light snacks (water, trail mix, and some cookies), but he doesn't do a big barbecue on the boat like some snorkeling tours do. For good eats after you're done, I highly recommend the Bite Me Fish Market in the marina.

2  Thank CalBearTravels