“Fun times!”

Lepika Sportfishing
Reviewed February 25, 2013

My father and brother-in-law and I joined Russ for a fun day of fishing. Russ is a great captain and proved to be a courteous and gracious host at all times. He is extremely experienced and was very patient with us as beginners. We did catch a mahimahi and a spear fish and had some great eating later that night. I would definately recommend Russ if you are looking for a great fishing experience.

31  Thank Bob D
in 18 reviews
"scenery"
"adventure"

Reviewed February 4, 2013

It was my boyfriend and my first time in Hawaii and first time deep sea fishing. It was a happy accident that I found Russ online and the great reviews that I found drew me to contact him.

From start to finish, Russ was a great captain. He worked very hard to get us some fish (which he did!), and his green sticking technique is both unique and highly effective.

Not only was the day successful (we got two ahi and a mahimahi), but the boat was very comfortable and the weather was great. We saw a huge pod of dolphins, got some great photos and had fun bringing in some fish.

We highly recommend Russ and the Lepika! You won't find a harder working captain in the fleet!

35  Thank Kirstan S
Reviewed December 3, 2012 via mobile

I should say that we were in Hawaii for diving, but decided to try a fishing trip for the fun of doing something different. We did not have high expectations to catch soecific species or fish a certain way. All of that said, I decided to book with Lepika after soending a couple of months doing research.

Russ was easy to work with from exchanging a few emails when booking until we left the harbor ... we caught a nice size mahi mahi and a (surprisingly) ~7 foot shark. Had a great time and if we make it back to Kona again, I would not hesitate to go out on Lepika again. Thanks Russ for a great time... fishing was the highlight of our trip!

34  Thank kmludwig76
Reviewed June 23, 2012

This was my first trip to the Big Island and booked Russ for three days of fishing. I am a very experienced fresh water angler and this was my first experience fishing in the ocean for marlin and tuna. I did ALOT of research before choosing Russ and my experience was all that I hoped for. He keeps a clean and clutter free boat and first rate equipment. His price is also low compared to many other charters I considered. This is not a charter with a crew serving your drinks...this is a charter captain who wants to catch fish and works hard to do just that. We caught a 93 and 159.5 tuna, and caught and released a marlin estimated at 400lbs. We missed hook ups on a smaller marlin and another tuna. This is the guy you want to book without question. If I ever get back to the Big Island, without question he is the one I will book.

Thanks Russ for a fishing trip I will never forgot! Joe from Michigan

39  Thank nonamesleftjoe
See more reviews
Reviewed April 29, 2012

I did a lot of research before picking Capt. Russ Nitta and the Lepika. I read about three months of fish reports and saw that the Lepika caught fish pretty consistently. The reviews also said that Russ was a nice guy and knew what he was doing. I am used to fishing with pretty surly captains and thought it might be nice to try someone nice for a change.

Russ was great. He said there had been a few Ono caught the day before along the rocks outside of the harbor and we trolled the area for about an hour before the whole fleet joined us. After it was pretty clear we weren't going to get lucky with Ono, we headed out and south toward Capt. Cook on a troll.

It was a slow day and we didn't see much in the way of birds, bait fish, or porpoises. Nevertheless, Russ did not treat it like a boat cruise. He was constantly changing out the gear and making adjustments. He never seemed desperate.

Late in the afternoon, we got a double striped marlin strike. We were able to get both fish to the boat and release them. It was a great trip and I highly recommend Russ.

39  Thank DanDWoodinville