“Expensive boat ride”

Humdinger Sportfishing
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Full-Day Fishing Charter | 3/4 Day Fishing Charter | 1/2 Day Fishing Charter Hawaii fishing charters on the Big Island of Hawaii in Kona. Over 50 years of big game charter fishing experience in Kona Hawaii. Comfortable, safe, affordable. Courteous, experienced, professional crew. Our crew grew up in Hawaii fishing for giant blue marlin. Full and half-day Hawaiian fishing charters for blue marlin – up to 6 passengers. 37 foot custom Rybovich sportfisherman, tournament rigged, full electronics, Fin-Nor and Penn International rods and reels. The best Hawaii Fishing Charters in Kona! *** We encourage the Tag and Release of all billfish as a conservation effort designed to promote and support Billfish research world-wide. We are a member of The Billfish Foundation and actively involved in Satellite tagging studies to assist researchers in better understanding the habits and migration patterns of Billfish through satellite tracking data. Our charter clients are welcome to keep any sustainable, pelagic species of fish such as Ono (Wahoo), Mahimahi (Dorado) and Ahi (Yellowfin Tuna) they catch during the course of their Kona Fishing Charter. ***
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Activities for older children, Food available for purchase, Activities for young children
Pearland, Texas
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Expensive boat ride”
Reviewed August 14, 2013

All we heard about was how great the fishing was in Kona at the time we were there...we know we paid for a "fishing" trip and that catching is just an added advantage, but we fish A LOT and know that some times you have to work at it a little harder than others.
We did not get any bites the day we were out. I think the most disappointing part about the fishing trip is they never tried anything different. Once they threw out the first set of lures, they never changed them, added to them or anything. We just trolled. It made for a very long boring day. We thought at first maybe that's just how they do it in Hawaii until we fished with others and learned differently...

Visited July 2013
2 Thank MarieRiley2010
Captain Jeff F, Owner at Humdinger Sportfishing, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
Hi Marie,

Thanks for posting your review. I assure you that nobody gets more disappointed when we don't catch fish than myself and my crew. We have been fishing the waters off Kona for over 40 years now, and with that much time fishing in a particular area, we have a pretty good feel of what the best fishing approach is on any given day, not to mention the perspective of seeing what has been happening the days or weeks prior to one of our clients stepping foot on the boat.

Trolling, especially when the fish are scattered and not bunched up on bait provides the highest probability chance of catching a fish because we can cover more ground, have a higher percentage chance of contacting fish, and also possibly locating bait schools or even a school of porpoise where we might catch a tuna or other incidental species.

I would also point out that trolling is the single most expensive method of catching fish for us. With two engines and diesel fuel at well over $5.00 per gallon in Hawaii, I assure you that if I thought live baiting was going to be more productive we would have been live baiting and burning a LOT less fuel in the process. But when the fish are not concentrated on bait for whatever reason, we switch to trolling because it is a better percentage chance for our customers.

Again, sorry we didn't catch fish for you on your trip. We don't catch them everyday. But it has been an incredible year so far this summer with a number of fish over 1,000 lbs and lot more close to that mark. I hope you catch one next time you are in Hawaii.

Independence, Missouri
“Charter was okay. Got overcharged for a half day”
Reviewed August 13, 2013

Charter was okay. We didn't catch any fish but had been warned ahead of time that fishing was slow by Jeff. We trolled for fish the whole time and Jeff and Brett really tried to get us on some fish. I paid for the charter with a credit card. Got the bill in the mail and somehow our half day charter cost us $572 instead of the 399 special advertised on website. I knew we had to pay tax but shouldn't be that much tax. Talk about getting hooked!!

Visited July 2013
Captain Jeff F, Owner at Humdinger Sportfishing, responded to this review, August 23, 2013
In further review of your booking, you confirmed that you visited in July of 2013. The promotion you mentioned clearly states that the offer was extended through JUNE 30, 2013 and that all charters had to be completed by that date. You were not over charged for your charter. You were charged our prevailing rate for a half day charter plus the Hawaii sales tax of 4.6%. Furthermore, you never mentioned the promotional rate prior to booking your charter with me. Had you mentioned the promotion to me prior to your charter, I probably would have honored the rate because it was so close to the expiration date of the offer. And after the fact, had you just called me to discuss the matter over the phone, as opposed to making inaccurate and arguably defamatory claims in this forum, I probably would have even refunded the difference to you.

I have built a very successful business in Kona over 40 years, primarily by word of mouth, and I assure you overcharging customers is NOT how I built that business. Having said all of that, if you want to call me and give me your mailing address, I will still refund the difference of your charter to you. Sorry for the confusion about the promotion. The web page outlining the details are still posted on our website and if you search Google for that offer I am sure you will be able to locate and verify it for yourself. When I tried to post it here for your convenience, TripAdvisor rejected my reply.

Best regards,
Capt. Jeff Fay
NJ
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Great Day on the water”
Reviewed May 26, 2013

I have fished with Capt. Jeff for about 15 years and have had great success catching Marlin (one at 676 lbs), tuna, and wahoo. Extraordinarily professional with a great crew which may include his son Capt. Jeff works as hard as anyone to give you a day to remember...and I and my family have many of those days.

Visited August 2012
Review collected in partnership with this attraction

Thanks for your loyal patronage...and reminding me how old I am getting. Hurry up and get back to Kona so we can go again soon! Aloha. Jeff
Nederland, Colorado
“Exceeded Expectations”
Reviewed May 22, 2013

Capt. Fay is a legend in the world of marlin fishing. He is very intense, but very personable at the same time. No doubt he and his mate Brett will do everything in their power to get you hooked up. No sitting around for hours waiting for something to happen. They taught us a lot about marlin fishing. Capt. Fay's specialty is live baiting with small tuna (aku), which is very productive under the right conditions and a lot of fun. Catching the bait on ultralight tackle is a great way for inexperienced anglers to get involved with the action. We fished three days and hooked four blue marlin. My wife and I each caught one (tagged and released). We also caught a 150# yellowfin tuna and had spearfish in the trolling pattern a few times. We'll be back to Kona and will definitely fish on the Humdinger when we do!

Visited July 2012
Review collected in partnership with this attraction

Brett and I sure enjoyed fishing with you both. It was great three days -- awesome fish! It was quite an honor to be able to catch so many fish for both of you. When it on its ON! Thanks for fishing with us and we look forward to seeing you on your next trip to Kona. Aloha!
North Central Washington State
“No Fish but still First Class”
Reviewed May 21, 2013

My wife and I visited the Big Island for the first time in March and one of the things I wanted to do while in Kona was to take advantage of the fishing opportunities. I booked with Jeff Fay, in large part, due to the excellent reviews on TripAdvisor. He responded immediately to my inquiry about open dates and was very helpful with making arrangements for a 1/2 day trip for the two of us. On the day of the trip, we arrived about 30 minutes early and found Jeff and his son already geared up and ready to go. This gave us the opportunity to depart early and avoid the fleet lining up for the Breast Cancer Awareness Tournament which was taking place that day. We began fishing only a few minutes out of the harbor, with Jeff's son setting up the lines, explaining how we would fish and answering my many questions. The weather was sunny and warm that morning, but the wind was as strong as we would experience during the 2 1/2 weeks we spent on the Islands. Despite the rough seas, Jeff worked the water hard and we covered a lot of territory during the trip. I had taken Bonine prior to the trip but it still was not enough to overcome a couple of minor bouts of sea sickness. I'm sure Jeff would have turned around and headed in at any time if I had asked, but I wanted to fish so we continued to work hard until our time ran out. We didn't catch any fish that day but it was not for lack of trying. By the time we headed back to the harbor, many of the other boats had already turned around and gone back in. As captain, Jeff can't control the weather or the bite but he provided us with a clean boat, excellent equipment, an experienced friendly crew and an abundance of effort on his part. As a former fishing guide myself, I know he was frustrated by the conditions that day and I know he was more disappointed about not getting me on a fish than I was for not catching one. I do know that if we get the chance to return to Kona, one of the first things I will try to arrange is another trip with Jeff, simply because of the great service he provided.

Visited March 2013
Review collected in partnership with this attraction

Thanks for posting your review. We never like to go out and not catch fish, but that is the reality in this sport. Wish we could have hooked a big one for you! Give us a shout when you are coming back to Hawaii! We'll do our best (again) to make it up to you. Aloha. Jeff