TripAdvisor
Inbox
Search
Open today: 8:00 AM - 3:00 PM
Review Highlights
Family owned and operated.

I picked up a number of flyers, cards, and read online. Walking down the road I saw these guys... read more

Reviewed 1 week ago
Surf225
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Really invest time and effort

My sister and I have never set foot on a surf board before when we booked a class with HLSI. The... read more

Reviewed 2 weeks ago
Xenia4492
Zurich, Switzerland

All reviews private lesson hour lesson group lesson classroom session friendly instructors family owned and operated business these guys excellent instruction riding waves dry land learn how captain rick the big island a lot of fun awesome experience super fun highlight of our trip
Selected filters
Reviewed August 19, 2019

Jacob and John were me and my husband's instructors for semi-private lessons. We had a short training with Tiffany beforehand at the office and then went down to the beach to meet with Jacob and John. Everyone was really friendly and knowledgeable. I was able to catch a couple of waves which was so cool. My husband got sea sick and had to bow out early (our fault). My husband decided to go back another day and was able to catch several waves. Great company, great people, awesome time.

Reviewed August 16, 2019

My son had always wanted to try surfing. This was his shot. He had a blast. Even though the surf was not extremely active, he had the opportunity to learn surfing techniques and make a new friend in a safe and fun way. He had a blast!

Reviewed August 12, 2019

My fiance and I did a surfing lesson with Hawaii Lifeguard Surf Instructors in Kona last week (Aug 6, 2019) in the morning. We're spending 5 weeks on the Big Island and this was one of my favourite experiences, I'd recommend it to everyone!

The initial indoor training was a bit too long but taught us the main technique to get up on the board. Once we were out on the water with our instructors Jon and Jake, it was an amazing experience. It ended up just being my fiance and I booked for this particular timeslot, so we each had a dedicated instructor. They were kind, supportive, great guys! They helped us position our boards and when to start paddling so we could catch the best waves, and focus on our technique of standing up and riding the surf wave.

It was a ton of fun, pretty exciting to catch the waves and stand up and ride them. I've only taken one surfing lesson once before in Maui, and the waves were much calmer there, so it was more of a challenge this time and more exciting.

The water was clear, not too deep, but not too shallow so that you wouldn't land on hard rocks when you fell into the water. Towards the end of our surfing (around 11:30am) there were tons of bright yellow fish in the water, so after catching a wave and riding it in, you'd splash into the water and be surrounded by all these bright fish, that was a really something magical!

Reviewed August 11, 2019

Loved supporting this sweet family owned surf school. My first time out and I was riding! The staff are kind, funny, and experienced. John, my instructor
was awesome. I highly recommend them... I’ll be back. Mahalo

Reviewed August 8, 2019

Jake was awesome. He taught my two girls today. When it ended both girls wanted to go again. This was my daughters third time surfing and they can’t get enough because of teachers like Jake and the whole crew of HLSI.