“Learned to surf...”

Hawaii Lifeguard Surf Instructors
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Hawaii Lifeguard Surf Instructors are born and raised in the islands. Who better to visit when on the Big Island of Hawaii but the Natives! Learn how to surf the Kona style waves with our ohana (family) of Hawaiian watermen. Located in the Heart of Kailua-Kona On Ali'i Drive. HLSI proudly works with the Make A Wish Foundation year round and a family owned and operated Big Island Surf School since the 1990's.
Reviewed September 30, 2012

All instructors VERY patient! Nice and safe place to learn to surf. Located right next to a GR8 snorkel spot.

All reviews
in 24 reviews
"encouragement"
in 4 reviews

Reviewed August 16, 2012

I took my 10 yo son for a private lesson and booked myself for a group lesson. I ended up getting my own one-on-one instructor (Jacob) too sice we lucked out with the numbers. Bottom line: my son loved it, was up on almost the first wave and became addicted to surfing. Jacob was patient with my lumbering attempts to surf and provided me with much entertainment.

We had so much fun we brought by 12 y.o. nephew back two days later and, again, we all had private instructors and, again, I had Jacob. Jacob put me on a larger board and egged me on and--voila, this time I caught many waves.

Great instructors, laid back vibe, beatitiful surf spot. The Fairmont Orchid recommended them, and I give them an A. We'll be back.

1  Thank J B
Reviewed July 29, 2012

My daughter had the best time, one on one instructor for a 2 hr lesson. She was up on her feet the second wave she caught

2  Thank Jenna-travelingRN
Reviewed July 27, 2012

Our 9 year old twins are complete surfing converts! They had the time of thier lives while we (their parents) felt 100% satisfied with HLSI's instruction, hands-on care and safety! We would highly recommend HLSI because of thier friendly and knowledgeable service; their attention to detail; and the fantastic and friendly time they had in the ocean and on the boards with our kids.

1  Thank Wende A
See more reviews
Reviewed July 10, 2012

Wanted to give my kids (and myself!) the experience of surfing. The 6 year old did a tandem with the lifeguard, it took some convincing but he did stand up a couple of times. They wiped out a few times as well, but having a certified lifeguard right there with my little one felt safe and he had a blast. The 8 year old was on her own board with a private lifeguard, she was a natural and hit pretty much every wave (with a helping push from the lifeguard). I did a group lesson and then switched to private to make the most of the time. They have the option to extend from 1 to 2 hours and both the kids and I did not want to stop. We had a great time and with a local fotographer taking pictures of the surfers we have some great pictures to show as well.
If/when we go back to the big island, we will definitely take surf lessons with them again.

1  Thank DDSealy