“Best Adventure Of Our Trip”

Wild Hawaii Ocean Adventures
More attraction details
Owner description: Winner of the TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence for 6 years in a row. Aloha & welcome. If you want an amazing ocean adventure like no other offered in Hawaii, come see us! Only we can offer you the comfort and speed of the Ocean Warrior--an 11-meter Navy assault vessel designed for and used by the Navy S.E.A.L. Teams and Special Warfare Operations. With this amazing vessel we have a further range than our competition and can get you there fast and comfortably. And did we mention that our captains are world-class freedivers and underwater photographers with over 20 years of ocean experience? Take a look around the website to see what we offer and feel free to either book online or give us a call to reserve your seat! Mahalo!
Useful Information: Lockers / storage, Activities for older children
Reviewed December 23, 2012

This was one of the highlights of our 10 day Hawaii trip. We were only in Kona for one day aboard the Pride of America and have no regrets about this excursion. We almost never do the ship sponsored excursions and this experience is one of the reasons. The boat generally holds 6 passengers, but for us it was just my wife and I on the 4 hour snorkeling trip. We weren't sure of exactly what to expect when we signed up as we've done the regular snorkeling trips in the past. However, this was far from just a regular snorkeling trip. The crew, Brett, Deron, and Mouna were fantastic and went out of their way to make sure we were having a good time. After explaining all about the boat we headed out to sea. Instead of rushing to the snorkeling site we explored the ocean and found whales and dolphins. We then headed to the snorkel site which was very secluded and had lots of great fish and turtles to see. We are novice snorkelers, but were put at ease with the crew's experience and direction. After a brief snack we started the trip back where Brett showed off the boat and everything it can do. Our hands were hurting from holding on so tight, but that was a small price to pay for the enjoyment. Deron gave a great history lesson on the island and what we were seeing along the coast. My wife is prone to motion sickness, but the only time she even felt ill was when the boat was anchored for snorkeling. So if you are in Kona be sure to check these guys out. And if you are on a cruise ship, this will blow away any ship sponsored excursion. Only draw back to being on the cruise ship is the cost of the taxi over to the marina can add up. Thanks to the crew for an amazing trip!

3  Thank Case1096

Reviewed December 2, 2012

We have done numerous "adventure trips" on the islands including helicopter rides, zip lines and other snorkeling trips. This trip with Deron, on his navy seal boat, with a 960hp engine was the best adventure we've had so far. His expertise on oceanic animals and spotting them was what added the over-the-top experience. We saw 3 different kind of dolphins. He knew how to make them come to the boat and play in the wake. We got into the "blue water" with the Stino dolphins and they were very curious and swam circles around my husband. We swam into a lava tubes and snorkeled in areas we couldn't have found otherwise. The trip back to the marina was thrilling as we buzzed the cliffs! He told us the story of Captain Cook with more detail than any other captain had done in the past. I thought I knew the whole story, but we did not. Mouna was especially nice and accommodating too. This is a must. We can't wait to do it again when we return to Kona! We actually tried to book it again but they were all booked up, so book early so you don't miss out on the best thing going in Kona!

Reviewed November 28, 2012

Hit the ocean with Derron and his counterpart Julie on Saturday the 24th. First off, he's towing his Navy assault vessel with a killer huge military truck...the whole package is a beast. My wife and I and our two boys (12,10) got lucky as we were the only four on the trip and got undivided attention. Derron is cool, knowledgeable and has a very interesting and impressive history with free-diving. Ask him about that and his breath-holding ability. Scary cool. The first half of the trip (we did the snorkel trip) is more open ocean searching (jumped in with a couple pods of spotted dolphins), but once you get to the snorkel spot along shore (some of the best we've had including a sea turtle named Chip), then the extreme action begins. 45 degree turns at high speed buzzing the sea cliffs, in between lava rock outcroppings, into bays where Derron stopped a couple times to deliver some great history of the area. Felt completely safe and in good hands. Was an awesome and thrilling adventure and our boys favorite during our trip, even more so than our helicopter tour. Couldn't recommend it more. Afterwards we dropped by the close-by Kona Brewing Company for a well deserved brew and lunch. Awesome day!

1  Thank Rlumsden23
Reviewed November 28, 2012

This ride is wild and fun. Awesome experience. My cheeks hurt from smiling so much. The boat is amazing, the captain is incredible, and 1st mate Moona(sp) is the best ever! This is truly a different type of adventure-a combined hunt for ocean animals, snorkel with the animals, and a fantastic ride in the Ocean Warrior. I really liked the small group size. There were 4 of us on the tour and they generally shoot for a party size limit of 6(they will take more if you are a group together). The small group lets them personalize the whole experience. This is not about going to a predetermined spot and hoping the snorkeling will be good. This is using the Ocean Warrior to find the ocean animals and then jumping in to take a look. We swam with "Rough Tooth" dolfins, had Spinner dolfins surfing behind the boat doing acrobatics, and Capt. Deron actually got me into the water with a Hammerhead Shark. WoW!!

Then there is the boat ride. The Navy Assualt craft they use provides an incredible ride. Fast and fun. I was blown away (by the wind and by the things the boat could do). Getting to the animals and then back to the harbor is a big part of the tour and something not to be missed. W.H.O.A. has turned a unique idea into a great tour. Go for it, you'll be glad you did.

1  Thank Jim S
Reviewed November 20, 2012

Wow, we had a great time on the Ocean Warrior. Deron and Brett made the experience great with their fun personalities and their knowledge of the Big Island. The small personal atmosphere, there were 5 in our party with my mom and 3 boys 8, 13, and 15, allowed us to have an individual experience. When my younger son was scared at the beginning, they adjusted the seating arrangement and made sure we were all comfortable. By the end of the trip, they were bringing on the speed and the fun turns. My boys loved it. I felt like I was on a Disneyland ride were you feel like you are going to run into a mountain. At Disneyland, you know the wall will open up. During this ride, I was not sure but we made the turn every time!
Our snorkeling experience was great and no one else was there. You can only reach the spot by boat. We saw a great variety of fish and a few turtles too! I would recommend this trip to anyone looking for a fun, unique Hawaiin experience. Thanks for great trip!! Cherie B.