“Tired resort”

GreenLeadersGold level
glasgow uk
“Tired resort”
Reviewed August 31, 2006

We stayed in this resort on an RCI exchange. We had a 2 bedroomed apartment which the girl at check-in described as one of the best in the complex. it was a 5th floor unit which had a very large balcony with a nice view of the ocean.

The unit was very spacious and clean but was in need of renovation. The carpet seemed clean but there were holes in it. the unit was wel equipped but the towels were very small. there were only 4 pool towels for 4 of us and they were very small- only covered part of the sun lounger which I have to say were the dirtiest and most stained sun loungers which I have encountered in my past 15 years of coming to USA.

The pool areas are small with few sun loungers- just as well it was never very busy. There is no restaurant or snack bar. the position of the timeshare is about 5 mins by car from Ali'i Dr which is good. The staff were very pleasant and the concierge was very helpful with our tour requests and got us a very good deal for a plane ride round the island.

We had a good time but I do not think this resort merits it's gold crown status within RCI. It needs refurbishing and upgrading. Maybe our expectations were too high having just stayed at the Hilton Waikoloa but I would only rate it as 2 stars

• Liked — Very spacious apartments
  • Disliked — it is "tired" and in need of refurbishment
  • Tips/Secrets — it is in a good position but don't expect too much
  • Stayed June 2006, traveled with family
2 Thank mm123

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed August 30, 2006

After reading the reviews, I didn't realize how lucky I was. I rented a two bedroom ocean view condo through a property management company and it was fantastic. I have been there two times in the past year. Both times it was spotlessly clean and very well supplied with all kinds of extra beach towels, umbrellas, masks, fins - just about everything you could imagine. Both times there were no bug issues. Those little ants are typically something you expect to see when you are renting condos in Hawaii so I consider myself lucky. I plan on returning to the Royal Sea Cliff as often as I can. The location is great, sitting on the desk listening to the ocean is wonderful and there is nothing like having central air conditioning!!! I feel like it is my home away from home and look forward to "going home" again sometime very soon.

• Liked — Ocean view lanai and very spacious condo
  • Disliked — slow elevators
  • Tips/Secrets — make sure you book an ocean view or ocean front room
  • Stayed May 2006, traveled with friends
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 Thank 1mermaid
PHX, AZ
Reviewed August 21, 2006

I was skeptical after reading posts sent in by others. I found this place to be friendly and comfortable, the staff were nice and helpful; answering questions and giving directions to "first timers" to the Island. The room was clean and in good shape, I used the washer/dryer while there, staff immediately took care of my requests. The kitchen was well supplied and was used the three days I stayed there. Very happy to have spent time there.

• Liked — laundry room, kitchen, price
  • Disliked — lobby for internet
  • Tips/Secrets — have fun!
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank hosdine
Oceanside, California
Reviewed July 29, 2006

Stayed here for six days, then went to Maui where I stayed at the Whaler for six days. Whaler is probably a 4 star place, and the Sea Cliff is probably a 2 star place.

Everything about the place is sort of run down. I cannot say it was dirty, nor smelly, just shabby.

Room we had was probably the worst view in the place, but was very quiet, there is hardly anyone at the place. In all the times we went to either pool, there was never more than one or two people there.

Staff was neither friendly, nor were they rude.

If quiet is your thing, and don't care that everything is old, then this is your place. Otherwise pick someplace else.

• Liked — I did not find it to be terrible, nor good
  • Tips/Secrets — First trip to Hawaii, Go to Maui
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled with family
1 Thank li10up
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kailua-Kona
Courtyard by Marriott King Kamehameha's Kona Beach Hotel
#3 of 35 in Kailua-Kona
Kanaloa at Kona
Kanaloa at Kona
#9 of 35 in Kailua-Kona

Been to Outrigger Royal Sea Cliff? Share your experiences!