WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of Outrigger Royal Sea Cliff

Outrigger Royal Sea Cliff
GreenLeadersGold level
Sooke, Canada
“Helpful staff, good condo”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2013

I came here early Nov 2012. the staff was really good and helpful. I stayed in room 405 for a week. The rooms wre quite large and had a full kitchen with lots of dishes and cookware which saved on meals. There was no daily room service, but that wasn't important as the condo had a home like atmosphere to it. A couple of minor things: the carpet really needed replacing and/or major steam cleaning. There was also some mould in the washer as the previous person never let it air out after using it.
I did have an enjoyable time touring the island - the volcanoes, a vanilla form on the Hilo side, the observatory.....

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Jay B
CarolHanna, Manager at Outrigger Royal Sea Cliff, responded to this review, December 12, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your stay here at the Outrigger Royal Sea Cliff. As other reviewers have pointed out, each unit is individually owned and that owner is responsible for the decor of the unit. You and this owner had the same opinion about the carpet as they removed all the carpeting and laid a beautiful tile floor throughout shortly after your stay. You should come back and check it out! Thank you for staying with us and we look forward to welcoming you back!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
Vancouver, BC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2013

The Royal Sea Cliff oceanfront condo we stayed in is well kept with a huge lanai right on the water. We saw whales and dolphins from our lanai. The pools are well kept and there is daily entertainment including lei mankind, hula classes and a Hawaiian guitar player/singer. There is free wi-if on site. Secure parking.

Room Tip: Oceanfront is great if you can afford it.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
8 Thank Khayman
Thank you so much for writing a review on the Outrigger Royal Sea Cliff Resort. It is always such fun to hear about our guests being able to view the whales and dolphins right from their lanai!! Whale season usually starts around the end of December and the last of the humpbacks head back to Alaska around the end of March. Just a tip - it is recommended that you book early for the ocean front units as they are in very high demand year round. We look forward to seeing you again - Mahalo!
Sudbury, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2013

I(with hubby) usually stay at the Sheraton or at the Hilton. They were fully booked for the time I was on the Big Island. So I decided to check into the Outrigger chain. Was I ever happy I did. I past it up despite having the newest Magellan GPS. I retraced my steps and parked in the 15 minute check in parking space. The front desk was so cordial and helpful. I had a studio with a complete kitchen e.g. range, oven, microwave,big refrigerator, dishwasher, rice cookerand many dishes, pots/pans. I felt right at home. And to top it off they provided soap for the washer/dryer in the room! If you wanted, you pay a little extra for maid service but I was okay since they gave me so many towels and toiletries. It was good to sleep in without worrying if I was holding them up. They provide free internet. I had an early flight so I checked out the night before & the security guards helped me take my suitcases to the car. Now that's true aloha.

Room Tip: I had a room facing the garden so when I went out to the lanai there was an orchestra of birds songs...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank jo k
I'm so pleased that you enjoyed your stay at the Outrigger Royal Sea Cliff Resort. I, too, think our studios are perfect for couples or single travelers as they provide a full kitchen plus a washer/dryer yet are less expensive than many of the area hotel accommodations. We appreciate your comments and are pleased that you felt our Aloha Spirit.
Victoria
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2013

We were pleasantly surprised when we arrived at the Outrigger in Kona. The check in was friendly & personal after staying at the Hilton in Waikiki for a week where we felt like just a number. My husband had been sick all the previous night so they were very good & got our room ready early so he could to & sleep while the rest of us went out & explored the island.
Our apartment was huge - very large rooms. There were 6 of us staying in a 2 bedroom apartment & apart from the fold out couch being uncomfortable, we were very happy with everything. The rooms are nicely furnished & even though there is the odd bit of maintenance that is required, we could see a family staying there for a week no problem. There are two pools at the resort - one larger than the other right on the beach and both lovely.
There is a supermarket only about 2 klms from the apartment and a bbq in the grounds to cook your food so its all very comfortable. Would recommend it to our friends

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Mr_Mrs_Melbourne
Aloha and thank you so much for taking the time to complete a review. Your description of the property was very thorough and I'm so pleased that we will be seeing you again!
Salt Lake City, UT
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2013

We were SO sad to see the Outrigger Keauhou close. We had to find a new location so trusting the Outrigger brand and knowing the general location of this hotel we got reservations here. These are condos. The setup is a little strange because it's one large building, but there are two check-in desks, two different owner/operators. Part of it is owned by a vacation plan and the rest is operated by Outrigger. The Outrigger units are owned by individuals and managed by Outrigger hotel group. They are scattered throughout the building. The building is built on a hill. The top floor (5) is at street level and level 1 is near the ocean. There are only 2 or 3 levels to the structure, so it is in steps down the hill. The structure has 2 sides with a garden in the middle and walkways and bridges connecting the two sides. There are "wings" extending from the main building on both sides and there is parking under the main building and outside near the units that are located in the "wings" - very convenient to those units. We were in a 1 bedroom unit with a garden view, in a wing on the 3rd level. We thought it was a very nice place to stay. They have 2 pool areas - one much larger than the other. Neither of them have great views although they are near the ocean. There are plenty of chaise lounges and some chairs and tables. Not much shade. There are restrooms close at hand which is nice. The unit we had was nicely furnished. We had some problem figuring out the light switches. When we checked out we mentioned that - some of the light globes may have been burned out. We didn't make a fuss about it because we could get by with the lights that worked. Our unit was quiet. The bed was very comfortable. We were there at a slow time (the end of November) so I think the place was not very occupied. The hotel has an entrance area that is open to all, but the rest is "gated" and you have to open a gate with your key. We like that because there weren't "extra" people there and it made the place more secure. It's NOT anything even close to our old favorite hotel down the coast as far as grounds and views, but it was nice, and we enjoyed the extra room that the condo provided. We will stay there again. It was reasonably priced, quiet, and very clean.

Room Tip: We like the unit in the "wing" because the parking was so close and it was very quiet.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Saxeygirl
CarolHanna, General Manager at Outrigger Royal Sea Cliff, responded to this review, December 16, 2013
Thank you so much for your extensive description of the property. I can certainly agree with you that we all miss the Outrigger Keauhou Beach Hotel - it had such a Hawaiiana spirit and we were all sad to see her "shut down," but it has allowed us to showcase some of the features of staying in a condo versus a hotel room. I'm so pleased that you enjoyed your stay here and we look forward to welcoming you back.
Hilo, Hawaii
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2012

Along the tourist trap of Alii Drive is a small, non-assuming condo hotel. Even though the front grounds are immaculate, it doesn't look like much. The rooms were surprisingly huge, the pool areas had beautiful settings and the oceanfront view from the multiple lanais was to die for....2 bedroom condo, on the water for $125/night!!!

Room Tip: all rooms are ocean view - if you can afford the slight upgrade to ocean front, I'd strongly rec...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
7 Thank Hilo-Chris
New York City, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 3, 2012

My family and children have stayed here many times in the past, the property it self in nice and generally clean and well maintained by the housekeeping and grounds staff, However the front check in staff namely "Kelly" has a bad attitude and made me and my family feel as though it was an inconvenience to be there and i even overheard her while i was in the lobby area call a guest a "Idiot" while on the phone and even worse another employee was there and had to tell her that the phone was still on, on my check out day i heard her call some one else a "Moron", God just what i want my children to hear while on vacation poor vulgar language! This must be the worst person there and if they want guests to feel comfortable this surely is the worst person for the job i mean seriously if the management there cannot recognize that this person should be fired at least than maybe the manager there needs to be replaced as well! would love to stay there again however with the front check in staff like this i would certainly consider another property to spend my money at where the staff at least can pretend to be nice and where my family and children are safe from vulgar language!!

Room Tip: Two bed room units are much nicer than the one bedroom units and are worth the extra cost.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family