“Highly Recommended”

Outrigger Royal Sea Cliff
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed July 12, 2011

This was an exceptional hotel that was definitely a step up from a previous hotel on another island. My family and I stayed in Room 514. We didn't have a particularly breathtaking view, but we had a nice lanai, two bedrooms (each with a bathroom), a kitchen, a living room area (with a dining table and the most comfortable couch ever), and even a washer and dryer for doing laundry. We absolutely loved it, and even had many of our meals there, to not only enjoy all the fresh fruit of Hawai'i, but also to cut down on the cost of eating out every day. We stayed here for 4 nights at the end of June 2011 and into the beginning of July 2011. We did not want to leave. My only complaint is that a water jug in the refrigerator had a little mold in it, but other than that, I was thoroughly satisfied with the place. I would not hesitate to come back if I ever return to the islands.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family

Reviewed July 11, 2011

I was recently in Hawaii for a 10 day, 3 island vacation. Stop two was on the Big Island, where we stayed at the Royal Sea Cliff. This was to be my aging mother's vacation of a lifetime. It started out well enough, but the day we got to Kona her health decided to take a vacation of its own. Instead of spending two days in Kona before heading over to Waikiki we had to take her to the Kona hospital, where she stayed for the remainder of the trip. I had to scramble to come up with alternate arrangements for hotel, rental car, and air transportation, and the good people at the Royal Sea Cliff could not have been more understanding and helpful and working things out for me. They really made what was a VERY stressful time for me much easier by the way they assisted me in staying at the hotel much longer then originally planned. I cannot say enough positive things about them, and would recommend the hotel again and again to all who ask. Nice property, great views, good value, and best of all, Tremondous staff. Thanks to all!!!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends
3  Thank Rich_Bouchard
Reviewed July 7, 2011

My wife and I stayed for 7 days during our Honeymoon. We had room 315, with a view of the ocean and a very large balcony. The unit itself was comfortable and had everything we needed. The decorations were not overly impressive, but with the view, neither of us cared. We slept with only the screen door closed and feel asleep to the sound of the ocean every night; very relaxing!

The rest of the property was pleasant. They do some weekly activities (we attended the hula dancing display on Tuesday) that are very nice. They served food and kept us entertained for 90 minutes.

The unit also offered parking which was hassle free except for Saturday night when most of the spots were taken and I had to park a bit further away.

Overall we loved it. If we go back to the big island we'll definitely look into staying here.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank andrewikamas
Reviewed June 17, 2011

When we first got into the unit we noticed the musty smell. The Manager called asking to stop by to pick up something up from the unit. When she got there we mentioned the smell, she agreed and suggested that we open the sliding door and turn off the air-conditioning. We stated that maybe some candles would help; she thought that was a good idea. So we ended up going and buying candles and candle holders, it didn’t help. We tried to deal with it, but after an hour or two we called the front desk and complained again about the moldy smell. She said that they can run a machine the next day, but it would be an all day process. When we went to go to sleep, that was the WORST, the pillows and blankets were so moldy smelling that we couldn’t even put our face to them. I tried lying on my back but it didn’t help. At this point we were starting to feel nauseous, I called the front desk again and requested to change units, she stated that the 6th floor might be less smelly then the 3rd floor that we are currently on. She sent the security guard to come and show me another room. I asked the Security Guard if all the units smelt moldy due to the Tsunami in March, he said “no, that they were not effected because of there elevation, and that we are not the first guests to complain”. That room smelt like someone had used an entire can of Lysol (so almost as bad), but the pillows didn’t smell. So instead of packing up and changing room so late to another smelly room, we requested clean pillows, sheets, and blanket to get us thru the night. We finally feel asleep out of exhaustion, but only slept around 2-3 hours. Around 4:00 am I started to make phone calls to Liberty Travel in NJ to find us another hotel since this one had been booked and paid for thru Liberty Travel. We ended up sitting outside until 7:00 am when the front desk opened, so we could check out.

Let me add even though the place was gross, the staff was very pleasant and the Manager contacted me the same day. She said that she contacted Liberty Travel to credit them for the cost of the night. Although I am still working on getting a refund for the 4 nights from Liberty travel, as it was prepaid. I usually never use a Travel Agent and probably will not in the future. We ended up moving to the Waikoloa Beach Marriott Resort for not too much more money.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JGM285
Reviewed June 13, 2011

The ohana spirit is alive and well at the Outrigger Royal Sea Cliff. The condo units vary with some more recently updated than others but even so all are well appointed with all the comforts of home. There is something for everyone in their weekly cultural events which take place Mondays, Tuesdays, and Fridays. This Outrigger is a little North of Kona but still not that far from the town itself. Worth a try!

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank CarolMBellinghamWA
Reviewed June 4, 2011

I stayed here 4 nights, in a one bedroom oceanfront condo. The grounds are well kept and the property is gorgeous. My unit had a large lanai with sunny and shady portions available all day long and a good view of the oceanfront. The staff was friendly and very helpful, but ultimately not up to fixing the flaws in my unit.

The property advertises that have air conditioning. My unit did not have air conditioning. What it had was a "chilled air" system (delivering only slightly cooler air than outside temperatures in the low 90's). I suspect the AC compressor was broken. The maintenance guy tried to fix it but it never worked right the whole time I was there. The staff delivered two floor fans to help with the issue. I was on vacation and did not have time to complain every day, just the first night while it took 12 hours to cool the place down. After that I gave up and just put up with it. The temperatures were tolerable after the sun went down each night.

Real air conditioning removes moisture from the air, as well as cooling it. My unit only slightly cooled the air, and did not remove the moisture. As a result the unit smelled musty from this long-standing problem, as would towels and dish cloths if left out without appropriate ventilation. They had put a coconut-scented air freshener near the door to lessen the impact, indicating they knew something was wrong.

The second flaw was an annoying decorating choice to put in very dim lighting everywhere, and provide only minimal window coverings in the bedroom. As a result it was hard to see anything at night, certainly not possible to read in bed, and the bathroom was annoyinging dark with -- I kid you not -- 4 watt (that's four, not a typo) light bulbs, not even adequate as nightlights. The lack of adequate window coverings in the bedroom guaranteed a lack of privacy while dressing (in full view of the pool), and being woken up at the crack of dawn each day. Someone on staff should evaluate the rooms for habitability and make appropriate corrections.

Because of these major flaws and Outrigger's failure to acknowledge the problems, I would never stay here again.

Room Tip: Smell the room for mustiness before you accept it.
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled solo
7  Thank tooluser
Reviewed May 31, 2011

While staying at the Outrigger Royal Sea Cliff I was amazed how friendly everyone is at this property! The "aloha spirit" is alive and well at the Royal Sea Cliff. Everyone you meet is so nice, from the front desk to the general manager.

The 3 free weekly functions are a must do. They have lei making, hula dancing and more!

I loved the view from my ocean front room! While you may not find many sandy beaches on the big island, it is still wonderful to look at the water from your ocean front room!

Marie Glodt

Room Tip: Book with a travel agent who specializes in Hawaii
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends