“A wasted vacation day.” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Tropical Sun Sportfishing

Tropical Sun Sportfishing
More attraction details
Owner description: Tropical Sun Sportfishing is one of Kona's premier sportfishing charter operations. Her captain, Dennis Cintas, has been operating charter boats out of Kona since 1973 and his crew is the very best you'll find anywhere in the world! We love to fish and you'll see why! All equipment, tackle and ice provided. Light tackle, heavy tackle and flyfishing tours available and combination fishing and snorkeling upon request. Custom fishing adventures and tours for families and adventurous groups. Absolutely the best "Value" in Kona and certainly the friendliest crew. Families and children welcome and "Customer Satisfaction" is our number one priority!
West Palm Beach, Florida
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“A wasted vacation day.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2013

This is not a negative review of Captain Dennis, who was friendly and knowledgeable, or mate Ryan, who worked the lines hard on the Tropical Sun, which is a nice boat. It is more a cautionary tale about allocating valuable vacation time to a day on an expensive fishing boat. We paid a significant amount of money for a 3/4 day trip, had only one bite all day, and caught nothing. It was the low point of our entire vacation. Of course the views of the Big Island from the boat were great, but you are in Hawaii so the views will be nice wherever you are. You really need to ask yourself whether you will be happy if you spend a vacation day on the boat, spend an amount approaching four figures, and catch nothing. If you would enjoy that experience, then the Tropical Sun may be a good choice (though other boats in the same harbor charge about half as much per hour). Our family, on the other hand, concluded that expensive charter fishing is a waste of precious vacation time.

Visited July 2013

Honolulu, Hawaii
“Fun on the ocean”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2013

Took my sister-in-law, from Kentucky, on her first deep sea fishing trip. Captain Dennis Cintas and his mate Ryan took great care of us. The boat was clean and comfortable. She hooked up with a 30 lb. Ono in the first hour. The biggest fish she has ever caught. The look on her face was priceless! We can't wait to go next year.
Thanks Dennis for a memory my husband, his sister and I will be talking about for years.

Visited June 2013
Orange, California
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 39 helpful votes
“Just wish he would have listened to us”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2013

Our trip to Hawaii was a surprise for my husband's 40th birthday. He had mentioned sport fishing in the past so I thought it would be a great afternoon. When speaking with Dennis - who was very nice and promised a great trip for the bday boy - I decided to book a 3/4 day...my thinking was that if I only booked a morning 1/2 day and we were having a great morning we might have to cut it short if someone else booked an afternoon 1/2 day.

The water was flat and clear as glass, I don't think anyone was catching anything that day. I understand it's called FISHING and not Catching, so I certainly don't fault Dennis for that. But when we asked to be brought in early he refused. He brushed us off saying that he wanted my husband to catch a Big One for his birthday.

The way I see it, I'm paying for your time/boat/etc and if I want to be brought back to shore at any point in time I should have that option. We felt like prisoners on the boat. My husband and I were seething and just trying to nap the time away in the galley. All we could think about was the time we were wasting on that boat when we could be by the pool at the Four Seasons.

This was the only downfall of our entire trip.

Visited March 2013
5 Thank Stephanie L
Calgary, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Awesome fishing experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2013

Capt. Dennis and crew, Ryan, are so nice and worked so hard to give us the best fishing experience. On a day when it's so hard to land a fish, we caught 2 Ahi and 1 Aku tuna. We saw whales and a pod of spotted pacific dolphins with babies. The boat is beautiful and comfortable. Capt. Dennis makes us feel like family. We learned so much from him about the culture and best places to go and dine. I can't wait to come back in the summer and get more fish!

Visited February 2013
1 Thank roseraff
san francisco
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Best fishing trip ever”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2013

First time fishing out of Kona and Captain D and first mate Ryan made the trip a Hugh success and very memorable. They know how to take care of their customers and find the fish. We hooked up 3 striped marlin and landed all of them (70, 85, and 89lbs). We even made the paper!

Visited January 2013