“Finest Sportfishing in Kona”

Tropical Sun Sportfishing
More attraction details
Owner description: Tropical Sun Sportfishing is one of Kona's premier sportfishing charter operations. Her captain, Ryan Lutes, brings over ten years of experience of fishing on some of the finest boats in Hawaii and has experience in commercial fishing, sportfishing, bottom fishing, and major fishing tournaments and his crew is the very best you'll find anywhere in the world! We love to fish and you'll see why! All equipment, tackle and ice provided. Light tackle, heavy tackle and flyfishing tours available and combination fishing and snorkeling upon request. Custom fishing adventures and tours for families and adventurous groups. Absolutely the best "Value" in Kona and certainly the friendliest crew. Families and children welcome and "Customer Satisfaction" is our number one priority!
Kent, Wa
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Finest Sportfishing in Kona”
Reviewed October 3, 2011

It has been my privilege to fish in Kona, Maui, Alaska, and Washington for the last 30 years. My experience with Captains Dennis and Ryan stand out as one of the best sportfishing trips ever, certainly the best in Kona!

We hit Mahimahi (durado), Whitetip sharks, and Ahi (yellow fin tuna). What impressed me about Dennis and Ryan is their enthusiasm for the hunt, to actually track down, find, and catch the fish, whatever it takes. They clearly werent just going through the motions. For someone who loves fishing, it was great to be with skippers who weren't just taking clients out for a ride.

An added bonus was the converstions with Dennis. He was clearly passionate about family, business, and this great country, something that made the trip all that much more enjoyable.

Visited September 2011
1 Thank Jesse C

Waikoloa, Hawaii
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“The most awesome day on the water...PERIOD!”
Reviewed September 18, 2011

Look no further, you have found the best Boat, Captain and crew!

We live here on the Big Island and we took a couple of business associates for a day of sport fishing on Saturday, September 17. We have been on numerous other charters but Tropical Sun was by far the best we have ever experienced! Captain Dennis and Co-Captain Ryan were an absolute pleasure and they made this one of our most memorable days out at sea. From the second you step on the boat, you are treated like ohana. The boat is extremely clean and comfortable. We walked on to find a beautiful continental breakfast waiting for us. After a brief safety orientation, we were off and immediately dropped lines into the water. We reached a buoy and began catching fresh bait which was a blast. (I caught most of the bait) As soon as the bait was dropped into the water, the action started...we caught a 50 lb Ahi, 3 Mahi Mahi and 2 sharks!! Ryan was a great coach and helped each of us when we hooked up. Captain Dennis cheered us all on, it was great. The only negative about the trip would be how sore my arms and back are from all the reeling and catching we did!! LOL

Thank you again Captain Dennis and Ryan...
John, Teresa (MB), Jesse and Jeff

Visited September 2011
2 Thank Teresa808
San Diego, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Another fantastic day on the water with Captain Dennis!”
Reviewed August 18, 2011

One of the primary reasons we trek to the big island from the mainland is fishing with Tropical Sun. While captain Dennis is probably the most knowledgeable sportfisherman in the western hemisphere, he is undoubtedly the most entertaining and friendliest. We have been on half/full day charters with him umpteen times, and if there are fish biting Dennis will find 'em. Everyone knows that some days on the water are better than others, and you sure don't want to be stuck with a salty crew if the action is slow. Rest assured my family and I enjoy Dennis' company during any lull between catches...which are few and far between on his boat! Thanks again for another great memory Captain!

Visited June 2011
1 Thank Brennan_11
New York City, New York
“Two Great Fishing Days”
Reviewed August 10, 2011

We spent two enjoyable 1/2 days fishing with Captain Dennis and mate Ryan. Dennis is a real pro and a pleasure to be around. Ryan will keep the lines out to maiximize the fishing time. On one of the trips we landed a large blue marlin (800lbs +). Dennis and Ryan were pros helping me in my 90 minute battle with this trophy. We will continue to use Tropical Sun on our future trips to the Big Island.

Visited August 2011
oakland
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“NO OPTIONS BESIDES TROLLING....”
Reviewed July 25, 2011

So the big one do not always bite, but there should be options besides trolling all day on a 6 hour trip, like bottom fishing or in shore so the kids can have some action besides an expensive boat ride and nap, also the rates are higher than others.

Visited July 2011
2 Thank pstripadv
tunaroot, Manager at Tropical Sun Sportfishing, responded to this review, July 27, 2011
These people who chartered our vessel had never been offshore fishing before and their closest affiliation to the sport of fishing was lake and stream fishing in Southern California. During our trip which was scheduled for 4 hours we were very accomodating and especially interested in educating them on this type of offshore "Big Game" hunting which they had chosen. After nearly 4 hours, Mr. Sun asked me if I thought we were going to catch anything and I told him that fish had been caught near our position and that I thought we had an excellent opportunity of catching a mahi-mahi, tuna or marlin. I asked him if he wanted to extend for a couple of more hours and he said yes. He asked me about bottom fishing or smaller game fishing and I told him that our bottom fishing season was closed but that we could try and find smaller game inshore. We attempted inshore trolling for smaller tuna or mahi-mahi and didn't have any luck. Sometimes fishing can be this way and that's why they call it fishing and NOT catching! We were totally and completely accomodating and tried to make these folks happy. I have no regrets about the trip and can only say that a everyone has a bad day even a neurosurgeon.