“Great luau, great lcation”

Island Breeze Luau at the King Kamehameha Hotel
Ranked #29 of 296 Restaurants in Kailua-Kona
Cuisines: Hawaiian
Dining options: Buffet, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Ali Drive
Transit: Ali'i Drive
Description: Guests of the Island Breeze Luau will be amazed with a display of authentic Polynesian activities, cuisine, and performances. Island Breeze Luau, located in right on the edge of the ocean of the King Kamehameha Hotel is rated the best lu'au on the Big Island by kama'aina (local residents)visitors and travel writers. The luau begins with a lei greeting and picture taking. An open bar, arts and crafts await you. The imu (traditional underground oven) ceremony, is also a part of the exciting beginning to your Island Breeze ohana (family). There are many ways to participate in the luau activities: weave a coconut frond, learn how to open a coconut, learn the art of hula, get a Polynesian tattoo, and take the time to meet and talk to some of the performers.
Reviewed July 11, 2013

The Island Breeze Luau is held a short four minute walk from the hotel proper, and sits within a few feet of Kailua Bay. The food was typical luau fare, with really good entertainment by the band and dancers. This is a fun time, and a great way to spend the warm tropical evening.

Reviewed July 1, 2013

this was a great time. My daughters were very excited about going to this show. Before the show they had activities on the grounds such as hula lessons and washable tattoos. Very fun. Food was good and plentiful. Show was great. Would definitely recommend this to others.

Reviewed June 25, 2013

They ran out of plates.... First ran out of the fancy Luau plates, and then ran out of clean white plates! Brought out three stacks of dirty plates before the finally found nice clean ones. Totally unacceptable! And so sad, because everything else about this was WONDERFUL!

We went to a Sunday night show. We had a party of 7. When we were seated we were told we would be eating late. It was very nice to be informed, and we had a great table.

The pre-show entertainment was excellent. The drinks were very very good. (Go to the nice lady at the bar) The waitstaff was very nice and helpful and there to be sure we were well taken care of.

Once we finally got food... it was excellent. It could have been a little hotter, but given the horrible mistake about the plates we were happy just to have ANY warmth. This was the third Luau I have attended and the food was by far the best. Pig was moist and not too salty, the sweet potatoes were amazing. The coconut pudding was the best I have ever had. The food was a 9 on a scale of 1-10 and would have been a 10 had we been able to eat it hot.

The entertainers were very very good. First Luau I have been to where the fire dancer did not drop the sticks. Everyone was spot on!

But standing at the end of the line, watching the group in front of us pick through plates that were dirty, and then watching others go though the line getting seconds while we were slowly getting more and more hungry was inexcusable. When the second stack of dirty plates was brought out my review of the place plummeted. The wait staff was so apologetic and tried all they could to be helpful.

They had started out with three serving lines, but by the time we got through there was only one line left. So things moved very very slow.

But not having enough of the same plates for the entire luau crowd was a very bad mistake on someones part. Either don't sell more tickets than you have plates for, or buy more plates. And please check to be sure your plates are clean before setting them out for people. The numbers are known ahead of time.

And, I am only writing this review AFTER emailing the Luau and letting them know about our bad experience, and getting no response at all. Just a simple we hear you and have more plates on order would have allowed me to give this 5 stars.

If you're looking for a GREAT Luau to take family to, get great food, good drinks, excellent service and an overall memorable evening, chose this one. But maybe pack a paper plate in your bag!

2  Thank Pigfeathers
Reviewed June 22, 2013

I made reservations for this as it's touted as the best luau on the Big Island. This may be as I have not been to others on this island before. However I did attend one two years ago on Kauai and thought that was the better one. Everything was ok at the Island Breeze, just not spectacular or anything and I didn't particularly like the seating. We were seated way at the back of the area so it was difficult to see the dancers, etc. Seating situation was much better at the one on Kauai as at that one no matter where you sat you could see. As far as the food goes; well, really didn't like the way they gather everyone around before pulling the pig out of the ground where it is being cooked. I understand maybe this is a Hawaiian tradition but the pig they pull out of the pit is so awful looking; looks like a big dead pig is all and disgusting. My 8 year old granddaughter was horrified and after seeing this neither of us wanted to eat any of it. The rest of the food was so-so and not delicious. Pasta salad seemed like it could have been one of those instant pasta box mixes! Fish which is my favorite was just not that great. I have to say I was a little disappointed in this luau after reading all the great reviews. Or maybe the one I had been to on Kauai was just so much better andmore fun.

Reviewed June 1, 2013

Small and intimate. Great food and terrific entertainment. Unfortunately, the night we went it rained. We hung in there as long as we could and then the sky opened up. This happened during the show so we didn't get to see the fire knives which is at the end. My husband was disappointed but we still thought it was a good time. A lot of the luaus are huge with hundreds of people. This was small enough to feel like you were at a party in someone's yard. I would highly recommend it.