“My first time with Poke - great experience”
Review of Da Poke Shack

Da Poke Shack
Ranked #3 of 293 Restaurants in Kailua-Kona
Cuisines: Hawaiian
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Takeout
Reviewed January 6, 2014

This was my first time trying poke - I decided to take the plunge and have spicy Octopus with rice and a side of potato salad. The poke was awesome, the prices for this very inauspicous "shack" we very reasonable and I came away very satisfied - definitely will go again

There are newer reviews for Da Poke Shack

Reviewed January 5, 2014

We ate at a lot of places (KPC, Sam Choy's, Kenichi pacific) but Da Poke Shack could make me fly back to Kona just to eat there. The restaurant is simple, but obviously focuses on making amazing poke. You could see the staff cutting up fresh Ahi while waiting in line. The bowl is simply your choice of poke (bottom shelf), rice or quinoa and then a side (top shelf). The Ahi pokes were fantastic. They have a couple of spicy options which were delicious. The side dishes I liked the most were the Korean cucumbers and the fern root salad (I really like foods which are local and enjoyed this salad when on the islands). Got people in your group that do not eat fish? They have a few other options like pork, and you can have them order those dishes and laugh at them for missing out on poke.

Reviewed January 4, 2014

These guys make fresh Poke (Hawaiian style of sushi) daily. Service is great and the various types of Poke kept me coming back. Late morning is the best time to visit as their is no waiting.

I highly recommend trying this Hawaiian native classic at this great little place. You can taste the ocean in every bite!

Reviewed January 2, 2014

Long time sashimi lover, first time Poke experience.
In short, the fish stacks up quite well with the sashimi I've enjoyed in Japanese restaurants, for a fraction of the price.

Loved the informal, take-out type experience. The guys serving the poke were very attentive and took care to help us select the best poke dish. We ordered poke bowls (poke with white or brown rice and a side) which were of generous proportion and amounted to a robust lunch. We selected a light sesame sauce for the poke which did not detract from the flavor of the fish. The seaweed salad and potato salad sides were excellent and the brown rice was perfect in flavor and texture.

We liked least the 20 minute line but it was well worth it and would not deter me from a return visit. As others have noted, there are a few tables outside and if those are full then a short stroll 300 feet to the south will reward you with public access to a nice little beach where you may eat your poke in peace while watching the surfers shred.

Reviewed January 1, 2014

This place was right outside our vacation rental, and we knew we were going to try it before we left Kona. On our last day we finally made it. We had to wait about 15 minutes in line, but it was certainly worth it. This place is the real deal. Just note that parking is limited and there's only a few tables outside for eating, so try and go on off hours and maybe do some takeaway to the beach!