“Friendly service and good value”
Review of Da Poke Shack

Da Poke Shack
Ranked #3 of 293 Restaurants in Kailua-Kona
Cuisines: Hawaiian
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Takeout
Reviewed September 27, 2013

This was our fiest time trying 'real' poke. Fish is absolutely fresh (we watched them slicing up the next one as we ordered), and the portion is generous for the price. We tried several different varieties, all were good but none made us instant lifetime fans: we both love ahi sushi, and i think we both would prefer it to the poke we selected, though I also think we would like to try it again in a different place. Sides were almost as good as the poke. A good experience, with very friendly and helpful service at a very reasonable price.

Reviewed September 25, 2013

Then you'll love Da Poke Shack. Such a selection, we were "educated" by the owner with toothpick samples. Each were great. The fish was being prepared right behind the counter. Absolutely fresh! My wife does not like fish. Period. The kind owner persuaded her to try a piece of fresh Ahi poke. She said it was "not bad" which means she liked it. We live in New York, so our fish just isn't as good. Oh, and I had these little octopus poke which was delicious and quite a culinary adventure.
I returned a couple times during our stay. Awesome!
Thank you for the super meals.

Reviewed September 23, 2013

Ok, i dont want to be negative but i really didn't enjoy the poke here and i couldn't even finish it all. I love raw ahi tuna, and i know how ahi tuna tastes like. I am from Vancouver, and we have a lot of good sashimi/saefood here. Maybe poke is not sashimi, but technically they are both raw fish. I ordered the one marinated in soya sauce for the sake that i wanted to taste the real flavour of the fish. The ahi tuna didn't taste like anything, basically no flavour, except soya sauce. I almost wanted to throw up b/c I know I am eating tuna but my brain is asking me, "what are you eating??". I was being reserved about this and thought maybe it is the way poke tastes like, so i should not write anything negative about this place. But when i was in Hilo and had another poke at a cafe/restaurant, it was so good that I wanted more. It was good because i can taste the tuna every single bite and the soya sauce was light, so it doesn't over power the fish.

one poke bowl is like $9 here with salad and rice. I would give it a 21/2 star because of its good portion, good salad but I dont really enjoy the poke.

2  Thank agentCodyboy
Reviewed September 19, 2013

During a family vacation to Kona we wanted to try the poke. Da Poke Shack absolutely deserves the high ratings it has on Tripadvisor. When we arrived, the fresh caught tuna was being delivered and while we watched, one was butchered behind the counter. My wife and I tried two different types of poke and our daughter had the roast chicken. The poke and kimchi were amazing. We ended up making a couple of trips to Da Poke Shack and were never disappointed with the food or friendly service. Give them a try.

Reviewed September 18, 2013

We loved the laid back, informal atmosphere but most of all the incredibly fresh, wonderfully seasoned Poke. Lots of choices and fairly reasonably priced for such a generous serving of super fresh fish. You order from the counter and can either sit at one of the 3 or 4 picnic tables in front or take it out. I rated it good atmosphere because we liked the totally casual atmosphere sitting at tables which border the parking lot. It's not a sit down restaurant so if that's what you want you won't find it here....you'll just find the best Poke anyplace!