“Local flavor - Hawaiian friendliness”
Review of Da Poke Shack

Da Poke Shack
Ranked #3 of 296 Restaurants in Kailua-Kona
Cuisines: Hawaiian
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Takeout
Reviewed October 6, 2012

I had heard about this place when I grabbed an afternoon Blue Moon at Lava Lava. When traveling I like to find good food off the beaten track. Especially something unique to the area. Melissa at Lava Lava suggested Da Poke Shack and although she had a personal interest her endorsement was confirmed by 3-4 other locals I bounced it off over the next two days. When I mentioned the name of the place people's eyes would get big so I knew it was something special.

To be realistic if you don't like raw fish or sitting at a picnic table (only two) when dining then you may want to look elsewhere but my wife had the pulled pork (she's not a fan of raw fish) and loved it. I did too. They also have chicken but I'll have to try that next time I'm in town.

Personally I sampled several different Poke's and enjoyed them all. Never had anything like it and am bummed that I might have to wait till I come back to have it again. The fish is fresh daily and very high grade Tuna. I actually watched Keoki slice up a new 30 lb cut from scratch. He was super cool by the way and very friendly. I flat out loved the place. The salads were fresh and the rice was cooked perfect, just sticky enough. All priced reasonably. Even the t-shirts.

If you're in the area and want to treat yourself to something special, check out Da Poke Shack. It's worth the trip.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,734)

Reviewed October 2, 2012

The food is great, and the ppl were really sweeet.. If you like raw fish, you will love it.. if u don't take someone with who likes it... you can do tasting... :)

Reviewed October 2, 2012

Awesome locals’ hangout place….
If you like fresh fish and poke this is the place to go for the best poke! Super friendly staff. So many options and so difficult to decide, but they offer you samples if you want to try any of the poke or side dishes. I had the special with a nice sweet sauce and combined with the mussels as a side dish yuuuum! Too bad we went there on our last day on the island…..if we would have tried it on the first day on the island probably we would have become regular clients…..
BTW when you are there make sure you check the photos....

1  Thank Isis30Ca
Reviewed October 2, 2012

Ate here for lunch. Had the rotisserie chicken plate with a side of the spicy crab- the best chicken I've had in years- hands down! Also had the poke meal with spicy edamame - also awesome. Friendly place with no attitude- it's a take out shop with two benches out front. Everything around $10 per meal- inexpensive for what you get.

Would highly recommend to all

Reviewed September 30, 2012

We saved our trip to the Poke Shack for our last night of vacation...and we just didn't get it. They were out of Huli Chicken, we we had Kalua Pork and it was so salty I couldn't finish it. My husband did enjoy his Poke bowl and the crab salad was great. What really killed it for me was when we walked in, the cooler by the door was open and it was full of bloody ice. I assume it was where they kept the Ahi. The sight and smell of the blood killed my appetite. The service was super friendly, maybe we just aren't Poke people?