“pretty good "pub" food”

Cuisines: Hawaiian
Good for: Bar scene, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed April 3, 2013

My parents had eaten here on a previous trip and liked it, so we went for dinner in the early evening (the time change was really messing with us, so dinner was at 430). We got a nice upstairs table with a view to die for.The food was just what you would expect from the gastro-pub type setting: deep fried deliciousness and fresh local fish. We got good beer recommendations from our server who knew just what food needed a certain beer and had a great time. The burger was a little too crispy, but tasted alright. The fish-n-chips was great, as was the bowl of mussels in creamy garlic sauce. Our server was a little too quick to take away my plate and I didn't get to scoop up all the leftover sauce with the garlic toast I had, but a busboy was quick to get more sauce just for dipping!
It was just what we needed that and we went back later in the week for a round of desserts after wandering the shops and the Alii farmers market; They were great too.

It's not a fine dining type place and the weird skeleton in the rafters is kinda creepy, but if you want some good food and an unbeatable view, stop in.

Reviewed April 3, 2013 via mobile

They have over 70 beers on tap. Very well priced and great good. The salmon fish and chips are nice and fresh. They make their bread fresh for all there sandwiches . Great view of the sun set from their out door seating.

Reviewed April 1, 2013

We decided to eat dinner out on Easter Sunday, instead of cooking. We expected this restaurant to be packed since it is usually very busy and this was a holiday. Luckily, we happened to get there between crowds and got an upstairs table right away. Living in Kona, we generally avoid the busy tourist stops, but our son wanted to try it on a friend's recommendation. The food was very fresh and overall delicious. Son had the BBQ pork sub, which was huge! No fries or side needed with this monster. He said it was wonderful. Our server, Will, recommended a flavored ice tea, so he ordered mango, which was perfect with the pork. I ordered the fresh grilled fish sandwich with a salad on the side. The fish was cooked perfectly, and the soft bun was fresh, lettuce and tomato very fresh, but it lacked a little on flavor. Maybe a little more tarter sauce would have done it. The salad appeared to be from fresh local greens but the soy vinaigrette was too sweet for my taste. Husband got the Huli Huli chicken with white rice and mac salad and he loved the chicken. Very flavorful, but he said it did seem that it had been sitting in a warmer for a bit and not "just cooked". Might be because this was a busy holiday and they may have prepared enough of it ahead for the crowds. The beer selection is huge and husband had a Kona IPA he had never tried before, which was a pleasant surprise. Will even brought out a sample of another one husband hadn't tried, without being asked. The red wine selection is very limited, but I was happy with the High Note malbec. Our server, Will, was very nice & attentive even though he had been at it since early Easter morning and this was after 5:00pm. We will definitely go back and will recommend Humpy's to visitors to Kona.

Reviewed April 1, 2013

We stopped here for dinner after flying into Kona and checking into our condo. I had checked the place out online prior and it looked good. We ended up eating here three times. The view, especially at sunset, is spectacular. Sit upstairs for the best atmosphere - it is much better then their downstairs option. Great selection of beers on tap, including local brews and even some from our hometown. The service was very good.

We thought the food was good, with some inconsistency. The fresh fish preparation the first night was outstanding with a delicious cream/caper sauce. The blue-cheese burger I had one night was tasty but a little well-done for my liking. The baked turkey sub was enough for two and very good. My wife thought the nachos were only fair.

When your combine the view, beer selection and food all together it scores an excellent from us. We'll be back!

Reviewed April 1, 2013

We ate here our first night in Kona. Server was great and the food was c- brew pub food. Pork was a little short of flavor. The potato mac was really good. My wife had a salad that was alright. The second night we ate at Humpy's I had a pretty sub par burger that was not served as it was described on the menu. Server was very busy but also very nice.

Just blah, blah, food with nice staff.