“Night kayak to see the mantas was incredible”

Ocean Safaris Kayak Adventures
More attraction details
Owner description: Paddling Kona’s clear, pristine waters since 1994, Ocean Safari’s Kayak Adventures have introduced countless visitors and Kama’aina (Island Locals) to the fast growing sport of kayaking, stand-up paddle boarding, and paddle-surfing. We focus on small groups of adventurers, making safety and fun top priority. Every Kayak tour is different and may include dolphin and whale watching, snorkeling, sea cave exploration and maybe even cliff jumping. You may see tidal pools filled with eels, sea turtles and colorful tropical fish while wild parrots can at times be seen flying overhead. Join us for a night snorkel with manta rays!All our guided adventures are led by experienced watermen/women who are Hawaii Lifeguard Certified and we are fully insured. Ocean Safari’s Kayak Adventures assist with water safety at Kona’s annual Ironman Triathlon as well as other water events.
Reviewed December 26, 2013

We had a great time. Highly recommend it. Angus and Dustin were our guides. They made the trip fun and safe.

Reviewed December 19, 2013 via mobile

My girlfriend and I wanted to see some manta rays and do some snorkeling and some kayaking.... this tour had it all. A little off the beaten path ( tricky to get to) the map lied... its actually in the bay next to the Sheraton. Angus was our guide....awesome dude...felt totally safe and comfortable.... we met close to dusk...kayaked out to the bay...put on our gear(they don't carry prescription snorkel goggles) and jumped in the water....and turned on the lights on our little surfboard.... we were the first ones in the water...minus the divers....which was nice.... just 4 of us including Angus. He guided us to the mantas....then the show began...these creatures were amazing...like ballerinas in the ocean. Once the other tour groups came...we just moved and found more mantas... totally mobile... great aspect. Book this tour...ask for Angus and you might get to hang w/ "Dad".

1  Thank Dan M
Reviewed December 9, 2013

I was in Kona for a business trip. I had an evening free and the hotel binder had a flier from Ocean Safaris about their swim with the manta's excursion. Count me IN! The hotel brochure didn't have any details and I was quite surprised when I arrived to see that we'd be heading out in a tandem kayak. A storm had passed though so the water was pretty rough- no problem because I am a kayak instructor but it would have been a huge problem had my can-barely-swim colleague joined me.

They provided wet suit tops which help keep you buoyant as well as slightly warm-I found the water quite chilly so next time I will probably find out about renting a "shorty" wet suit. Or just remember to bring my own from home.

Angus was our guide and was fabulous. He was funny, informative and a great instructor. There was another couple on our excursion and they didn't seem too confident on the water but did just fine. He was really good about talking each one of us step-by-step through the process of getting in and out of the kayak in deep water and how to correctly view the mantas.

We set out when it was still fairly light so we had plenty of time to get to the viewing area (about a 20 min paddle) and get into the water before anyone else arrived. We hung onto a surfboard board that had large bright lights shining into the water. The light attracts plankton that the mantas eat. It didn't take long for the mantas to show up and roll so closely to us gobbling up the plankton that we could have licked them- but Angus had warned us this would happen and told us to resist the temptation! We had quite the show for about 20 -30 minutes then the mantas just disappeared. I looked up out of the water and a huge catamaran had pulled up near us and had floated out a giant light board that could have been used to guide planes into an airport. So there went the mantas! Oh well at least we got a great show while they were around.

Angus helped us into our kayaks and we headed back to shore. It was really dark at this point so it was comforting to have lights on the back of the kayaks. Angus also walked me to my car- which was really nice because I had parked about 10 minutes away in a dimly lit area.

All in all this was a wonderful experience and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Just a heads up- the water is chilly and I know some of my friends have a hard time floating in the ocean in the dark.

1  Thank Jen78703
Reviewed December 8, 2013

We rented kayaks early one morning as we happened upon this operation while on a walk. What a great deal - $25 for the DAY. They told us where to go for a self-guided tour, which we did, seeing a few caves and doing some snorkeling along the way. When we returned a couple hours later, they told us to feel free and come back down later that afternoon if we wanted to take them out again - after all, the price was for the day. They couldn't have been nicer or more helpful. Great operation.

Reviewed December 4, 2013

My adult daughter and I had a great morning kayaking with dolphins and snorkeling. While the dolphins didn't come right up to the kayaks they were less than 1/2 a block away. Angus our guide was terrific. He did great safety instruction, and was very helpful throughout the 2 hour adventure. This was far more than I expected for the price---1 full hour or more of snorkeling, dolphin sightings and a beautiful paddle. I've rented kayaks before, but never in the ocean and this was comparable to a lake kayaking---they supplied the equipment (snorkel mask, life jackets, fins and kayaks). I'd highly recommend this. There's a clean public beach restroom adjacent to the area so you can change clothes before and after---a fresh water shower and some tables for an after adventure picnic snack if you with. Get there early to get really close parking otherwise expect to walk a whole block---you can handle it. If you need vision corrected masks they recommended a place to rent. (See Millers Snorkel and Surf shop).