“An Amazing Trip with Amazing People”
Review of Torpedo Tours

Torpedo Tours
Ranked #81 of 212 Tours in Kailua-Kona
More attraction details
Owner description: Wanna dive into an adventure!? Scuba Diving in Kona is the best in the whole state of Hawaii. The Big Island has three big volcanic peaks which protect the Kona Coast from wind, rain and big ocean swells. There are no rivers or streams on this side of the island making the underwater visability over 100 feet on average. The reefs are healthy and vibrant with finger coral, plate coral, cauliflower coral, and huge antler corals, just to name a few. The water is calm and warm with an average temperature of 80 degrees.​Call or text to book your underwater experience today!
Reviewed March 4, 2011

I have dove with them several times before. They never fail to disappoint. Each trip has been unique and I always have a great dive. They work hard to make sure that you are comfortable, and make you feel like you are going out with friends on their boat. They are safe to dive with, and are professional. I so love this dive enviroment over the cattle boats that I see drop 25 people in the water. Glad I found them. They are always one of my first calls when we head to the islands! I trust them so much, I let me son to an intro dive with them. The next year my nephew came and got his cert card with them.

All reviews
in 14 reviews
"pali"
in 3 reviews

Reviewed September 9, 2010

We booked the night Manta trip with Torpedo tours. It was a huge disappointment. The boat was 30 minutes late picking us up from the dock. So, that meant not time to fish (they promised to troll on the way to the Manta site). We were all snorkelers and were treated like second class citizens. They favored the divers that had been on board with them from the afternoon. This boat did not have the glow sticks or the large lights under the boat like the true Manta dive companies. We felt like we were imposing on the other boats that had the lights used for the night Manta trips. We were anchored pretty far away from the lighted boats and it made for a long, dark swim in the water. We were told on the phone that snacks and drinks were included. We were never offered a drink or snack, however, the divers ate freely. I stayed on the boat since the swim was a bit far in the dark and I literally sat on the boat in complete darkness while the captain threw a ball with his dog. The dog ran all around my legs and scratched my feet with it's paws. I hate dogs and not one ever mentioned that there would be a wet, smelly dog on board. The caption was just downright rude - he never took the time to ask our names or even talk to us. Our boys also said they felt very unwelcome on this boat. Other people mentioned how nice the boat is - it was in poor condition. It was rundown and dirty. We really wasted a few hundred dollars on this excursion. There are much better companies out there that make you feel welcome and appreciate your business. Shop around.

MikeandNikki, Owner at Torpedo Tours, responded to this reviewResponded June 6, 2011

I'm going to give you some information about this tour so you can understand how it works a little better, than this gentleman, who never got in the water and clearly felt terrible that he missed out on the experience. I'm sorry that happened to him. Firstly, let me say that he received several apologies from us, regarding our tardiness. Some times things happen that are unforeseen and you have to roll with the punches. Secondly, we provide fishing, whenever possible, at no extra charge. That night, unfortunately we were running late, so getting to the Manta site was the main focus. It was a gorgeous night with a beautiful sunset. We made every effort to show these guys a great time and they would barely talk to us. They looked like they felt completely uncomfortable the moment they got on the boat and would barely talk to anyone. That being said, the other snorkelers (a different family) on the boat that night were smiling and enjoying the boat ride and helping them selves to snacks and drinks which were set out for everyone. The night excursion to see the Manta Rays is conducted after the sun goes down, so it is dark. Everyone must swim in the dark. The boats all park around in close proximity to each other in the bay. On our boat, the snorkelers receive the same powerful, LED lights as the divers. Once you swim over to the Manta viewing area, we all "share" each other's light in a sense, since it is the light which attracts the plankton on which they feed. The closest boat parking spots to the viewing area are about 50 feet away while the furthest boat parking spots are a few hundred feet away. Anyone who can not swim in the dark for a few hundred feet should not take this tour. There is nothing else to do on the rocking boat at night but to just sit there, or play ball with the dog. We made many attempts to break the ice with this guy, but he was determined not to engage.
Scout, our dog, is not smelly. He swims everyday, is sweet with a wonderful disposition. If you like dogs, you will love him. He is mellow on the tours because he lives such an active life and gets plenty of exercise.... including playing ball from time to time.

Aloha,
Nikki

Reviewed August 13, 2010

I took a group of 7 divers to do the manta ray dive with Torpedo Tourts on August 10. As we boarded the boat the captain assigned tanks to each of the divers and set up th BCDs and regulators. As I was last to step on the boat, he was busy and had not assigned me a position, So I placed by BCD and regulator/computer console on the tanks toward the back of the boat and assisted the others in my group to get setup. Shortly thereafter the owner Nilkki came on board with her group of 4 divers and decided that the back side of the boat was for her group and put my reg setup on the floor of the boat for everyone to walk on. When I turned and saw my reg on the floor, I thanked her for throwing my stuff on the floor. She stated that she "placed it carefulluy on the floor, not threw it on the floor". I guess everyone was expected to carefully walk on it , too. No apology was given, just an attitude. Not very professional by any stretch of the imagination. As my daughter checked her setup the 1st stage had been placed on the tank with the reg on the left side and the console on the right. When she was taking it apart and fixing the tank straps the captain came up and asked what she was doing. DUH!! So be warned, watch your equipment and don't trust these "professionals" to do it for you. One positive note, the dive master, Christi, was superb and took the extra effort to make sure all of the newer divers in our group were taken cae of very well.

This sport requires a lot of equipment and part of our job is to load and unload gear, set up, take it apart, wash it, etc. All of our own personal equipment sees the floor of the boat at some point during the day. Your regulator was placed out of the way under the chair at the back of the boat where it could not be damaged while we got the other divers settled into that area to set up their gear. Your regulator was on the floor for less than a minute. You however, brought huge suitcases full of lots of other dive accessories, which you scattered from end to end of the boat. I guess you didn't care that the other divers had to walk around your other gear, all night. You had no regard for the other divers on board and were extremely rude to me and yelled at me. I wasn't trying to give you attitude, I just walked away to give you some space. Thank god Kristi was on the boat that night because I certainly wasn't going to touch a single piece of your gear after the way I was treated by you. Thank you for being honest about was a superb job our crew member did of taking care of you and your family that night. Hopefully you'll remember the amazing dive with the Manta Rays when you look back on this now, instead of the moment in time that your regulator was in the floor.... but that's up to you.
Aloha,
Nikki

Reviewed July 13, 2010

I was not exactly looking forward to diving in the pacific as I had heard it was not as colorful and COLDER than the Caribbean where we ususally dive. I am so glad my son really wanted to go, because this dive now ranks as one of my top two dives ever.

Mike and Nikki are the owner/operators/divemasters, and they were fantastic. Their dog Scout also was a ton of fun when he tried to herd the dolphins.

Their equipment is top notch - from the dive computer on my SPG to the high quality BCDs with integrated weights to the comfort mouthpieces.

I am not exaggerating when I say we saw about 200 dolpins - some getting as close as 20 feet. My only regret is that we didn't use their "torpedos" which allow you to glide through the water faster and actually swim in the pod of dolphins.

Highly recommended if you are diving in Hawaii!