“Disappointing” 2 of 5 bubbles

Houston, Texas
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Disappointing”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2013

We chose Torpedo Tours as they appeared (according to their website) to be just what we were looking for. Unfortunately, this was not the case. In no small part, this was due to Mike just not wanting to interact with any of the parties (including ourselves) when doing anything on the trips, leaving everything to Nikki. I don't know if he was somehow offended by our presence or what, but he was always short with us and it really spoiled the experience. When we went diving (both day and night), the day trip we saw .... nothing. Why he chose the spot where we went, I don't know. I ran short of air and had to come up early (my tank was only half-full) - he waved me away in such a sarcastic manner, it was downright offensive. When we did the night dive, whilst the rays were just amazing and Nikki did a great job looking after us, Mike was actually trailing lines in the water as he pulled in where the rays and the divers were diving! He had to be warned by other diving groups to pull them in. Looking at how much fun the other diving boats / groups were having, we were sadly very disappointed with the experience, and am unfortunately left with no course but to warn of a disappointing experience.

Visited February 2013
3 Thank skinnric17
MikeandNikki, Owner at Torpedo Tours, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
We are very sorry to hear of your disappointment in your experience with us. Of course, this is not our intention. We strive everyday to give a safe, quality experience for everyone.

Since your tour was in February and you are now giving your review in July, we can not comment on the specifics of the day you were with us. We have done many charters since then.

However, as a certified diver, why did you not check to make sure your tank was full before diving? That is not safe! In the future, you should alert a crew member that you need another tank. This makes us wonder if you were unsafe in other areas as well.

Also, we go fishing regularly between dives and often are reeling in our lines as we pull into the cove for diving. The lures may be dangling momentarily just outside of and directly next to the vessel, but we are prudent to make sure we not fishing anywhere near other divers, swimmers, snorkelers or other boats. Maybe you were confused.

Lastly, people have bad days... even in Hawaii. A good crew member picks up slack for the other. I'm not sure what Mike was going through 4 months ago but he may have just been having a bad day. Right now I have a bad ankle, for example... Mike has had to pick up my slack and do more while I just sit around and drive the boat.

Thanks for your criticism, We will take it constructively and strive to be better.
Aloha, Nikki

Littleton, Colorado
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“May Trip 2013”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2013

Just want to say what a EXCELLENT trip of a lifetime we had with Torpedo Tours Mike, Nikki, Allen, and Scout! We saw tiger sharks, white tip sharks, mantas on night dives and day dives,frogfish, a bait ball and bar jacks feeding on it, eagle rays, morays and all sorts of fish unique to Hawaii. We were able to swim with spinner dolphins the entire dive with the use of the torpedos (highly recomend trying them). We fished on the way out to dive sites and between surface intervals we caught Ono (wahoo) and the filets were offered to anybody on the boat that wanted them. They were delicious had many meals from them and Nikki made Poke out of some and brought it to the boat the next day!!! Yummy! The boat is set up great for diving and fishing easiest entry to the water and return to the boat we have ever had with a warm water rinse at the back of the boat. The dives include snacks, sandwichs and refreshments to drink. Try Torpedo Tours instead of a "large dive companies" it is a experience you wont regret! Cool tee-shirts too! Dirk and Carol Steinsiek

1 Thank Scubastein
Los Angeles, California
3 attraction reviews
“Great Introduction to the Blue”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2013

I took my SDI Open Water Certification Course Requirements through Torpedo. I had never dove when I met them on Monday. By Wednesday night I was 7 dives in and certified. Just a great all-around first time experience.

Very much to their credit, Nikki and Mike both were very patient with the adjustments I had to get myself accustomed to. I had particular difficulty with equalizing - small eustachian on my left side - and took 20 minutes to get down the first time. Tips and insider tricks were all welcomed and clearly explained to safely reduce that to 5 to 7 minutes by the end of Wednesday. Never did I feel pressure to speed up. Safety was clearly encouraged, not "keeping up with the group".

Allen was prime backup to everything Nikki and Mike were coaching. If they were attending to other charters for a bit while I was getting my 200 yard swim or 10 minute survival float requirement, Allen knew that perhaps the biggest fear was not drowning but the unknown below and picked up the coaching right there and then. Most importantly, Allen (and Scout, of course) brought the funitude: "Relax, take your time, stay safe, remember you're having fun with each new step you're taking."

Where Mike and Nikki were strongest were in their underwater communication and briefing. Never was I made to feel stupid for asking a question or repeating an instruction or taking my time on equalization - but there was enough firmness to encourage me to make sure I was thinking about what I was doing all the time. This firm quality is key to their charter. I wanted to prove I could do well for the course.

In a sentence: Relaxed but firm.

If I was looking for regimented instruction, drills and exams I didn't find it at Torpedo. If I was looking for relaxed, no-nonsense, personalized and focused training by a strong, fussy-cuz-they-care-family-member-type, I was home with Torpedo. Plenty more to learn, of course, but I'm glad to have taken my first giant stride into the blue with them.

Wisconsin
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“diving skill levels for all”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

Nicki, Mike and Allen were great. All skill levels will be satisfied. On my bucket list was a frog fish, which I was sure I wouldn't see in my life time. Allan took my hand and took me right to one. What an exciting experience. Allen also found a octopus that crawled up my arm. Another life time experience. They were helpful and there for you when needed. Fun and patient,experienced. The boat had seven of us and three of us had 25 or more dives. On just finishing his dive training. A good experience for all. I felt safe and saw many great things. Thanks guys and Nicki I promise not to wait so long till my next dive.

Prince Albert, Canada
“Great Morning on the Ocean”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2013

just went this morning May 6, 2013 . Had a fantastic day on the water. 5 of us went, one a certified diver and found the experience great. Mike, Nikki and Allen were fun, friendly and helpful. Stuck with me patiently despite my inexperience.

No problem in highly recommending the crew.