“Great Introduction to the Blue”
Review of Torpedo Tours

Torpedo Tours
Ranked #81 of 212 Tours in Kailua-Kona
More attraction details
Owner description: Wanna dive into an adventure!? Scuba Diving in Kona is the best in the whole state of Hawaii. The Big Island has three big volcanic peaks which protect the Kona Coast from wind, rain and big ocean swells. There are no rivers or streams on this side of the island making the underwater visability over 100 feet on average. The reefs are healthy and vibrant with finger coral, plate coral, cauliflower coral, and huge antler corals, just to name a few. The water is calm and warm with an average temperature of 80 degrees.​Call or text to book your underwater experience today!
Reviewed May 13, 2013

I took my SDI Open Water Certification Course Requirements through Torpedo. I had never dove when I met them on Monday. By Wednesday night I was 7 dives in and certified. Just a great all-around first time experience.

Very much to their credit, Nikki and Mike both were very patient with the adjustments I had to get myself accustomed to. I had particular difficulty with equalizing - small eustachian on my left side - and took 20 minutes to get down the first time. Tips and insider tricks were all welcomed and clearly explained to safely reduce that to 5 to 7 minutes by the end of Wednesday. Never did I feel pressure to speed up. Safety was clearly encouraged, not "keeping up with the group".

Allen was prime backup to everything Nikki and Mike were coaching. If they were attending to other charters for a bit while I was getting my 200 yard swim or 10 minute survival float requirement, Allen knew that perhaps the biggest fear was not drowning but the unknown below and picked up the coaching right there and then. Most importantly, Allen (and Scout, of course) brought the funitude: "Relax, take your time, stay safe, remember you're having fun with each new step you're taking."

Where Mike and Nikki were strongest were in their underwater communication and briefing. Never was I made to feel stupid for asking a question or repeating an instruction or taking my time on equalization - but there was enough firmness to encourage me to make sure I was thinking about what I was doing all the time. This firm quality is key to their charter. I wanted to prove I could do well for the course.

In a sentence: Relaxed but firm.

If I was looking for regimented instruction, drills and exams I didn't find it at Torpedo. If I was looking for relaxed, no-nonsense, personalized and focused training by a strong, fussy-cuz-they-care-family-member-type, I was home with Torpedo. Plenty more to learn, of course, but I'm glad to have taken my first giant stride into the blue with them.

All reviews
in 14 reviews
"pali"
in 3 reviews

Reviewed May 7, 2013

Nicki, Mike and Allen were great. All skill levels will be satisfied. On my bucket list was a frog fish, which I was sure I wouldn't see in my life time. Allan took my hand and took me right to one. What an exciting experience. Allen also found a octopus that crawled up my arm. Another life time experience. They were helpful and there for you when needed. Fun and patient,experienced. The boat had seven of us and three of us had 25 or more dives. On just finishing his dive training. A good experience for all. I felt safe and saw many great things. Thanks guys and Nicki I promise not to wait so long till my next dive.

Reviewed May 6, 2013

just went this morning May 6, 2013 . Had a fantastic day on the water. 5 of us went, one a certified diver and found the experience great. Mike, Nikki and Allen were fun, friendly and helpful. Stuck with me patiently despite my inexperience.

No problem in highly recommending the crew.

Reviewed March 26, 2013

Had a great time with Torpedo! Everyone was fun and we all clicked really well with the crew. The swell was up, but the entire crew focused on making us safe and did a great job to make it a fun trip! They helped us troubleshoot some of our own gears problems and had spare/extras on board for us to use. They provided snacks and fruit and drinks which hit the spot as a few of us forgot to pack some food. They were great from booking to docking. We had the whole boat booked for a post wedding outing while friends and family were still in town, We had snorkelers and divers of all levels of experience and everyone had a great time and experience! Lots of Manta Rays! Thats what it is all about in the end...getting in the water and enjoying the amazing sea life!! I would recommend doing the two tank dive as you do get close to the camp fire for the big show at night and can get accustomed to the dive site in daylight. I look forward to doing the Dolphin Torpedo Tour next time with Torpedo Tours, something i know will be amazing!! Thank you Capt and Crew for a great experience!

See more reviews
Reviewed March 23, 2013

A group of nine of us booked a 3 hour Manta Ray night dive/snorkel. The Mantas didn’t disappoint. Captain Mike was abrupt, short-tempered and impatient. Nikki was sarcastic and dismissive. Crew member Alan was extremely pleasant, knowledgeable and helpful. The resident dog, Scout, has the run of the boat and passengers were told where to sit so as not to get in Scout’s way. Safety did not appear to be a major concern to Nikki, who gave a briefing on where the life vests are stowed (I would not have been able to find one on my own in an emergency), why you really don’t want to use the head (onboard toilet) and to not pee in the wetsuits. Alan was the only crew member genuinely concerned about passenger’s well-being and enjoyment. In fact, once we were in the water, a passenger complained to Alan about Capt. Mike’s rudeness, and Alan deftly diffused the situation by turning the focus back to the reason we were there—the Mantas, which were awesome and made the trip worthwhile. I would absolutely recommend a Manta Ray encounter, but would not recommend Torpedo Tours to get you there. Sorry, Alan.

2  Thank BMtnW
MikeandNikki, Owner at Torpedo Tours, responded to this reviewResponded March 25, 2013

We're so sorry that you did not enjoy our tour. We try our best. The night you were out with us, the seas were a little rough and safety is always of paramount importance. Your friend who complained that night, that Mike was abrupt, tried to drown herself. Mike was yelling to her in attempt to help her out and save her from inhaling water after she did a dangerous entry into the water. We are very glad that your friend survived her snorkeling experience and is home safe and sound. Our primary focus is to keep you safe. We do have to be abrupt in situations where people refuse to listen to instruction.

When in rough seas, the bathroom is the worst place to be if you are prone to sea sickness. This was explained to you for your own comfort. Many people used the bathroom that evening, it was not "off limits". The life jackets are clearly labeled with a bright red sign. Peeing in wetsuits is disrespectful to the people around you, disrespectful to the crew (Alan, whom you loved, who has to clean the suits) and disrespectful to all the folks who will wear the suits in the future.

It's interesting to me what people choose to focus on and what they don't. We remember a particularly jovial group of happy people on that tour. We had good conversation with many people on your tour. We covered many safety procedures besides the ones previously discussed here, that were helpful to you. Not every boat has a hot shower, nice snorkeling gear, brand new wetsuits, powerful LED lighting provided to draw the Manta Rays up close to you, snacks and an abundance of refreshments and a very comfortable and stable vessel. In fact, the boat you were supposed to be on, before they bumped you, has a cold shower and no bathroom.

Scout, our dog, receives compliments daily about what a cool, smart and well behaved dog he is.

Good luck to you in your future snorkeling endeavors.

Much Aloha, Nikki