“Awesome Dive Time”
Review of Torpedo Tours

Torpedo Tours
Ranked #91 of 209 Tours in Kailua-Kona
Reviewed January 2, 2013

We dove with mike and Nikki for 2 weeks this past December and had an awesome time. We cannot recommend them enough and can't wait to dive with them again. From snorkeling with spinner dolphins to the amazing manta night dive we truly enojyed our experience with torpedo tours. They went out of their way to accommodate our needs and made sure we had a great time. I would highly recommend anyone who is diving on the big island to dive with them. Great fun!

All reviews
"smaller boat"
"bucket list"
"small group"

Reviewed December 30, 2012

Our sick diving experience- we just got done doing 4 days of 2 tank diving with Torpedo Tours. First of all Mike , Nikki and Allen were great- hopefully Allen is over his cold. They took us to sites that were for all levels of divers - we had our two teenage boys with us and they got along great with all of them including their cool dog Scout , that searches for dolphins. We would HIGHLY recommend doing the night Manta dive- one of the top 10 things I have done. Also go to suck it up lava tube site. This dive company sets up all your equipment and has some of the best food in between dives( go for the chicken salad sandwich). You won't be disappointed diving with them- next time we are on Kona we will surely dive with them.

Dave, Lori, Justin , Ryan

Reviewed December 29, 2012

I actually was booked through Neptune Charlies but I was the only diver that day, so my dive master and I went on Torpedo Tours dive boat, the Na Pali Kai II. I don't like large dive boats, so this one was perfect. It was small but comfortable. I think there were around 10 of us. It had a working bathroom, which was a plus. We were able to sit out on the bow, which I loved. The captain spotted dolphins and got us as close as he legally could, and we were able to jump out and swim to them. They had sandwiches, sodas, juice, water, and snacks on board. They seemed very good at tailoring things to the wants, needs, and experience levels of their divers. I was impressed. If I ever go to the Big Island again, I will look them up.

Reviewed December 18, 2012

Just returned from a great week in Kona. Scout, Nikki and Mike were a big part of the fun. The boat is clean and comfortable. Nikki and Mike are easy going and very knowledgeable. Their dog (Scout) is a frequent passenger, and loves to lick a salty face.
Highlights of the six dives were> Hammer Head, Manta, Monk Seal, Dolphin, Green Sea Turtles, Harlequin Shrimp, Octopus (multiple), Pipefish, Frogfish, Lionfish, Slipper Lobsters.

See more reviews
Reviewed November 30, 2012

I probably have 3000 dives, but I'm really clumsy out of water and so I don't do well with big boats and crowds. Mostly I like shore dives. But, you can't do the famed Kona Manta Dive from the shore. After some calling around I found Torpedo Tours. They had a good-sized boat that they said comfortably took about 10. I showed up at 4:30 and we ended up with 5 divers and 5 snorkelers. I brought my video camera, mask, fins and heated wetsuit top but I used their gear for everything else. Their gear was clean, and in excellent shape and they even weighted me correctly without any problem.
I was talking with Nikki who had signed me up and the next thing I knew we had left the dock and were on our 15 minute cruise to the Manta dive. We got there, they went over the boat rules, helped everyone get going with the gear and over the side I went.

Nikki took us down to what they call the campfire circle where with other boats all the divers form a big circle and held supplied dive lights up to attract the plankton that in turn attracts the Mantas. Plus, they put down some major lighting in the middle. We spent the next 55 minutes surrounded by mantas. I did the dive once before about 8 years ago, but this was much better.

We had 5 or 6 10' plus mantas the entire time. I shot over 50 minutes of great video and there was almost no time that at least one manta wasn't in the frame. During the dive, Nikki checked each diver out 2-3 times, but didn't bother us. At the end, she collected the 5 of us and shepherded us back to the boat.

Frankly, in the total darkness, I give her credit for both keeping track of the 5 of us as there must have been 50 divers in the water (which you want or there isn't enough light to attract the plankton which intern attracts the Mantas). We've used colored chemlights before, but she didn't use anything.

During the day I prefer to dive with just a buddy. But for this dive, a group is the best way to go. Anyway, getting back to the boat was easy and they helped us board. A few minutes to swap stories, dry off and have a supplied Diet Coke and we were on our way back. All in all an awesome dive and I'd love to do some daytime diving with Torpedo tours on my next trip to the big island. So yes, this is an unqualified recommendation. I'd dive with these guys any time.