“Very Good Mexican Food”

Los Habaneros
Ranked #83 of 285 Restaurants in Kailua-Kona
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Families with children, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: In the Keahou shopping center.
Tucson
“Very Good Mexican Food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2013

Last year I was not impressed with this restaurant. I thought the food a little bland and too pricey. HOWEVER, this year, I was more than pleasantly surprised by a very tasty chile relleno with lots of cheese, and better than remembered side dishes. The prices seemed very in line with the quality of food that I got.

If you read my review of Tacos El Unico in Kona, I explained that to me, all Mexican food is different and you just have to find the restaurant that fits you; it's not that one is necessarily better. This time around, I asked for the hot sauce, and it was very spicy with a good flavor, not just hot, although the chile relleno was as good as many I've had in AZ and NM.

The day that I was there, Los Habaneros had 3 different groups that were all speaking Spanish. Gotta be a good sign.

I would definitely go here again.

Tracy, CA
“Awesome”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2013

We went her twice on our recent trip to the big island. We tried the tacos, the carne asada plate and the carnitas plate. All of it tasted great! We love Mexican food and were glad to find some on the islands. My kids loved the keiki nachos and quesdillas. All in all the service was fast and efficient. While there wasn't a lot of conversation, that's not what we expect from a walk up counter. We ate in once at one of the tables and it was very clean. The second time we got our food to go and they kindly packed everything into a box for us to carry out. Great place with great prices!

• Visited June 2013
Edmond, Oklahoma
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Nothing Special”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2013

Your typical strip center Mexican fast food restaurant. Average quality, particularly considering the price.

1 Thank MarkGW60
Mesa, AZ
“So Happy That I Found This Place.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2013

Whenever I travel to Hawaii I look for Mexican food. I'm from Arizona, eat Mexican food frequently, and don't eat fish. Good Mexican food is hard to find in Hawaii. I have been disappointed more times than not. If you are from Az, enjoy the Mexican food served at our local, non-franchised, restaurants, you will really enjoy this place. This place reminds me of Matta's Grill or Filiberto's. Counter service, seating inside and outside. Lots of locals eating here. The cooks chattering in Spanish with each other.

For Hawaii, the price is very reasonable, the portions are large, and the food is authentic and tasty. I had the daily special and ended up taking half of it back to the condo. It was just as good a day or two later, which was not the case for the pricey food we had in Haleiwa....

• Visited June 2013
Huntington Beach, California
“Chile Verde heaven...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2013

The food was excellent. I had the chile verde burrito and it was very very good. My son had the kids bean burrito and ate it all. My husband had the el pastor and said it was also tasty.