Open today: 6:00 AM - 7:00 PM
Review Highlights
Epic experience with Fire Hatt

What a great experience with Captain John and First Mate Austin. We got into some wahoo, and had a... read more

Reviewed 5 days ago
Cberger34
Half Day Trip

Fished with Captain Joe, Austin and Javi and our group of 4 for a half day. Got on the water at 6am... read more

Reviewed 3 weeks ago
teresacA3845QE
Kailua-Kona, Hawaii
via mobile

Recommended experiences in and around Kailua-Kona
from $127.53
from $589.42
from $65.00
from $109.49
More Info
All reviews captain chuck blue marlin ono fishing experience tuna fishing knowledge warm muffins spear fish pilot whales the big island deck hand biggest fish deep sea fishing excellent fishing catch of the day smaller fish big game fishing
Selected filters
Reviewed December 29, 2018

We really enjoyed our day with Joe and Anthony of Fire Hatt! The weather was perfect and my daughter caught a Blue Marlin. She was really excited! Joe and Anthony really worked as a team to help my daughter reel it in. Then we spent time snorkeling by the Captain Cook area, one of the best. You will not go wrong choosing Fire Hatt for your sportfishing adventure. Thanks guys also for the Taco Tuesday recommendation!

Reviewed December 24, 2018 via mobile

This trip was an amazing experience - even according to our teenage son. The crew really cared about making it the best experience. Our son caught a 200lb marlin!!! Thanks, Chuck and Anthony and Joe!!

Date of experience: December 2018
firehatt, Owner at FIRE HATT Sportfishing Private Charters, responded to this reviewResponded December 25, 2018

The fact is we took a young man out Marlin fishing and he is The One who got “hooked” for a lifetime. This is our goal every trip. Making new friends. Since Linda and I began FIRE HATT Sportfishing here in Kona our thought is when you come on board as a guest I hope you leave as a friend.
Nice job young man. Chuck

Reviewed December 13, 2018 via mobile

My boyfriend and I booked a 3/4 day fishing trip a few months ago and finally arrived and went fishing today. Anyone who does any amount of fishing knows that sometimes you spend all day and never catch anything, that being said, we were lucky enough to catch 2 big fish in the same day! My boyfriend caught a large, 43 pound, 74 inch short-billed spearfish and I was lucky enough to catch a 180 pound blue marlin that we released. Chuck wasn't able to join us today,we were told that he had a surgery yesterday, so Joe and Anthony guided us today. BOTH of these guys did an amazing job, we had hilarious conversations, listened to good music and they made sure we had a blast! They were very knowledgeable and they worked their butts off when we were in the chair. In addition to catching 2 beautiful fish, we had the privilege to see spinner dolphins and pilot whales! The boat was clean, large, and in excellent condition. We were provided warm muffins and fresh fruit for breakfast as well as water, juice and soda. They even processed our spearfish for the trip home. Catching 1 fish is extremely lucky, but to be able to catch 2 fish in the same day was definitely a bucket-list check off! We will definitely be coming back to Fire Hatt! Thank you guys! We can't wait to come back!
Scott and Jackie

Reviewed October 7, 2018

It’s always hard to know which fishing charter to book with. I read lots of reviews and decided on Fire Hatt. Best decision ever for booking a fishing trip. We fished 2 days, we caught a marlin both days and 3 mahi-mahi. Fishing is always a gamble and catching the fish we did was a bonus, we would have enjoyed the trip either way. It was a very relaxing and exciting trip all in one. Chuck and Pat were awesome, we can’t wait to return. If you’re looking for a good fishing charter, this is the one, you won’t be disappointed!,

Date of experience: September 2018
Reviewed September 13, 2018

Paid $1100 plus $150tips for a full day. Not one fish, nada, nothing, zero. Still trying to get over the disappointment. they didn't even try to change the bait or lures to get me the fish. but they wrote down we need to pay the tips thats the only reason I paid it otherwise they dont deserve any money seems they can't get me a single fish.

Date of experience: September 2018
firehatt, Owner at FIRE HATT Sportfishing Private Charters, responded to this reviewResponded October 5, 2018

This review is unfair and a smear attempt. Please check out this "unhappy with his life" reviewer and you will see that he gave 1 Star reviews to everything he did in Hawaii. When we go Charter fishing we are dealing with nature, and no one on this Planet can guarantee a Trophy catch. There are no participation Trophies. On a given day, you will get over a fish that is ready to bite and sometimes you don't. If this person had gotten in touch with me, I would have tried to do something to make his trip better for him.

"Match the Hatch" is a term everyone who fishes understands. Choose lures that fish are attacking or eating that resembles the local bait fish around at that time. We run the lures and baits we use on our current experience of what works and also that of the other Charter Captains we network with and the catches they are reporting. I promise you, we want to catch our guests a fish as much as they do. With FIRE HATT, customer service is what we excel at with my 35 years of Fire Department and Fishing experience. We have earned the Trip Adviser "Certificate of Excellence, "Every year, for the last TEN years. We are proud of that Achievement and work hard to maintain that. This is the second time we have received a 1 rating ,in ten years and that person had a somewhat similar issue as we had hooked up 3 times and none kept hooked and he could not weigh a fish. In summary, we are dedicated to provide our guest the best possible Charter experience and communication is always the best way to handle issues.