“A good bite at Bite Me.”

Bite Me Fish Market Bar and Grill
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Reviewed January 2, 2014

Coming from AZ, the seafood is not really fresh so don't eat much fish. I only eat very mild seafood when I travel to a costal location. My idea of fresh is caught within the same day and never frozen, flash or otherwise. On this account Bite Me never fails to deliver. Fish is usually caught the same day, sometimes within hours of eating it.

Was last on the Big Island in May 2012 & remember the $3 fish tacos. We landed on New Years & went directly here from the airport to get dinner. My "go to" fish is Mahi (Dorado) but none was available. The waitress suggested Marlin so we had the Marlin tacos (2 with side salad included) & the Marlin Burrito with chips & salsa. We each had1 taco & 1/2 the burrito. I ate the salad, my husband had the chips. I drank water, he had a soft drink. The bill without tip was $25.00.

No longer the bargain it once was it was comparable to what we would pay at our favorite Sports Bar in Chandler. We had enough to eat but were not over full. The food was flavorful, well prepared and a good combination of ingredients in the burrito. I now can add Marlin to my short list of fish I eat, including Mahi, Swordfish, and Marlin....the last two thanks to the excellent recipes at Bite Me.

It's located in the Harbor, in the white building behind The Harbor house & has a water view. The atmosphere is decidedly causal, as many come directly from an ocean adventure of fishing, snorkeling, scuba, or some other excursion. It's a motley crew of families, tourists & local of all descriptions. Seating is at picnic style benches or on a bar stool at the counter. They have a TV with a sports channel which doesn't command much attention from the customers providing more a background noise to conversation.

I will definitely return to Bite Me, though I miss my $3.00 tacos.

Reviewed December 27, 2013

Great selection of Hilo beers and fish tacos with fresh catch of the day. Can't go wrong. Little hard to find in the harbor, you can see it, just probably better off parking and figuring out how to walk to it.

1  Thank MattR224
Reviewed December 12, 2013 via mobile

Marlin tacos and catch of the day fish melt sandwich were excellent. Ahi taco was good but a bit dry. Service was a bit slow but I think we were there early (10:45am) so that should be expected. No restroom in restaurant.

Reviewed December 10, 2013

When we used to stop by a couple of years ago the tacos were usually on special for half the price, the service was better and they had a better selection of beer. This time our server disappeared for a while after we were seated, they were out of the 1st local beer I ordered and when I then switched to another island beer on the menu she came back to tell me they no longer carried it. When the food came the fish in my wife's tacos was tough and chewy; the other orders of tacos (all were marlin) were good, but the rice and beans that accompanied were not warm. On a more positive note: the fish melt sandwich on sweet bread was very good and other waitstaff that stopped by our table seemed more engaged than our server.

1  Thank George R
Reviewed December 7, 2013

Saw this in the guide from Alamo Car Rental, as it was close to the airport and we couldn't get into the hotel until 4pm, we went straight there for a late lunch. So glad we did. The Marlin Tacos were so delicious, the waitress told me the fish had come in late morning, so literally fresh off the boat. We even came back for lunch before we left, again so convenient to the airport, just a 5 minute drive. Definitely would return on future vacations here.

1  Thank nikimc