“Lots of firsts!!!”
Review of Wanna Dive Kona

Wanna Dive Kona
More attraction details
Owner description: Join Wanna Dive for a great day of boat diving. Personalized diving for small groups, 2-6 divers on the boat. We offer daily guided morning dives on the beautiful reefs of Kona and the manta ray night dive. Intro dives are available for non-divers.We provide tanks, weights, sandwich, snacks, towels, water, sport drinks. Rental gear is available if needed. Let us share our enthusiasm for diving Kona with you.Visit our new dive and snorkel shop across the highway from Honokohau Harbor between Kailua town and the Kona airport.
Carmichael, California
“Lots of firsts!!!”
Reviewed May 22, 2012

My husband my 10year old Daughter and I absolutely loved our Manta Night Dive with Steve and Mike!

This was our first family trip to Hawaii(My husband myself and our 3 daughters) We were scheduled to meet at 4:30 to do a 2 tank night dive (one pre manta and the other the manta dive) when we had to take our youngest to emergency for 3 stitches after a run in with the door. I was very disappointed because I knew I would not make it back to be able to dive with my husband and my daughter (Leah and I go certified just prior to this trip to do the night dive with the mantas) on our first ocean dive, first night dive, first boat dive and just not being there with her was going to be hard.

But because this was a small boat and we happened to be the only three people they were able to wait! SO I showed up about an hour after they were there and all our gear was set up and ready to go! We got to the dive site and had our briefing and were all in the water in no time. They gave my daughter and I all the time we needed to do our first roll in entry and were very supportive and helpful every step of the way.

We had a very information evening dive where Steve pointed out and wrote on his pad what the things we were seeing were called and if they were poisonous etc. We also saw some early comers (mantas) before the night dive with the lights began. After a quick sandwich provided by Wanna Dive Mike had our gear all ready to go for our lighted dive with the mantas. It was amazing he stayed with my daughter and my husband and I followed. He made sure we knew what signals to use ahead of time and everything was fantastic. This the the dive my daughter liked best the whole time we were in Hawaii....it was amazing, and made better by the personal attention we had being on a small boat.

When we returned we went to look at our pictures and by the time we got back to the boat they had already rinsed all our gear! That made for and easy ending to a great night! Thanks Steve and Mike!

Visited May 2012

Ontario, Canada
140 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 190 helpful votes
“great diving”
Reviewed May 19, 2012

We chose Wanna Dive the same as most people, small group, not a cattle boat.
Steve takes only 6 and the boat is roomy enough for the divers.
They are attentive to the divers needs, helping with the gear, and setting it up between dives.
The dive briefing was the longest we have ever had. Out comes the fish book and we are told what we might see and what to look for. Steve will describe the reef we are going to dive on. Great dive brief.
You can dive your air/computer which for us made long dives. No rushing here.
It is a nice touch to have a sandwhich for the SIT time.
Steve just runs a nice op and we would recommend him in a heart beat.

Visited May 2012
San Francisco, California
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“Among our best ever dive experiences”
Reviewed February 1, 2012

My wife and I recently made a trip to the Big Island, and we wanted to make sure we did the manta night dive along with a couple of two tank day dives. Several Kona dive shops are well reviewed, but we chose Wanna Dive because we liked the idea of a small boat and lots of personal attention. Turns out, that's exactly what we got. Steve is a great captain / dive master who loves to seek out the rare little fish and critters that you just don't get to see with larger dive groups. We (my wife and I) learned more about the local sea life on this trip than we've learned on any other dive trip we've made. We're both light breathers underwater, so typically we have to come up well before our air or computers say we need to because the rest of the group is out of air. Not so with Steve; we were often down more than an hour because it was usually just the 3 of us (on one dive there were 4 of us). The manta dive was amazing, and we even had some bottlenose dolphin swim right up to us...at night...crazy. When we had enough manta action, Steve took us on a night tour of the reef as well.

If you have concerns about a small boat without showers, bathrooms, etc, you shouldn't. Most of the dive sites are extremely close to the harbor, so if you're doing a two-tank dive you're only on the boat during your surface interval anyway (and Steve always has sandwiches to snack on) and the boat is plenty comfortable for that. Steve and his 'crew' of 1 handled all of our gear etc, so everything was super easy. Bottom line: Wanna Dive is more or less the same price as the rest of the dive operators in Kona, but you get personal attention, a ton of knowledge, and A LOT more bottom time than you would with the bigger guys. We will definitely go back to Wanna Dive on our next trip. Thanks Steve!

Visited January 2012
1 Thank Ztakk
Oregon
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 54 helpful votes
“One of the best!”
Reviewed December 3, 2011

We actually dove with them in early March, 2010, and thought I had written a review at that time. Oops.

We had generally gone with another dive op when on the Big Island, but decided to go with Wanna Dive based on a recommendation from our local dive shop. So glad we did! There were four of us, eager to jump in the water. Both Bob and Cathy were excellent divemasters.

No matter how many times you dive the Kona Coast, there's always something new to see. This time we did Suck 'Em Up and loved it. Cathy and Bob obviously love what they do and it shows. Because the water temp was lower than usual, they loaned me a shortie to go over my 2/3 and it made a big difference.

During the surface intervals we were treated to humpbacks and dolphins along with sandwiches and treats.

Overall, one of the better dive ops around. We'll give them a call whenever we're on the Big Island!

Visited December 2011
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Good diving with a good crew.”
Reviewed September 23, 2011

We just got back to the mainland after taking our Advanced Open Water with Steve and his crew. While I felt the course was just a money grab from PADI, Wanna Dive did a good job in picking dive sites that made finishing the requisit dives fun.

The DM ensured we saw sharks, octopus, eels and many beutiful mantas. With only a 6 diver max. On the boat, the dives are very relaxed and there is no lack of elbow room.

Overall Steve and his crew do a good job of showing off their beautiful island.

1 Thank mikeanderin