“I Wouldn't Stay Anywhere Else!”
Review of Kona Hula Girl

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kailua-Kona
Kona Hula Girl
Reviewed February 27, 2013

We just stayed at the Kona Hula Girl in the Tiki room and it was a wonderful experience. Dean and Sherri are the ultimate hosts. Available for any questions or help, but you wouldn't know they were there otherwise. They are both so friendly that you feel like you've known them forever. The room was beautiful, nicely furnished and very comfortable even though its small. You could tell whoever planned it put in a lot of work because they thought of everything including storage in the walk in closet, plenty of windows for the spectacular view, all equipment and utensils in the kitchen, etc. The room is open air and was very pleasant during the day and cool at night. The ceiling fan kept the air moving as the day warmed up. I admit I was hesitant when I first found out there was no air conditioning, but it was no problem at all. This unit is on the second floor and was very quiet overall, even with it being open air. It is the furthest from the street which helps although there is not much traffic, especially at night. We barely heard any of the other guests and that was really only when they were outside coming and going. There is on site parking, laundry facilities, books for your enjoyment, beach umbrellas, chairs and coolers. They thought of everything! It is just a short walk to the center of town. Other than the airport, you really don't need a car unless you want to drive around the island and they have bus tours for that. You can walk to many great and fun restaurants right on the water and grocery stores are within walking distance. I just can't say enough about the place. I can't wait to go again and I won't even look at any other properties.

Room Tip: The Tiki room is furthest from the street and gets air from the ocean in the morning and the mountai...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Wano16

Reviewed February 19, 2013

I spent over a week in Dean and Sherri's house (Plumeria room) and would recommend staying there to anyone (already did recommend to my friends). It's an awesome, "island feel", open-air house that let's you experience the morning breeze and smell of tropical rain (it does not rain much in Kona though). Dean and Sheri are friendly and welcoming hosts. Room had a beautiful, very large window, was very clean and nicely furnished/decorated. Walking distance to Kona center. I had everything I needed and will remember this stay for a long time. Thank you Dean&Sherri! / Wojtek from Poland

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed October 5, 2012

Just returned from our second visit to this beautiful property. Nothing has changed, and it remains one of our all-time favorite destinations. We stayed in the Tiki Room again, and the owners have added a new room that also is lovely. The Web site photos are accurate, and the hosts remain gracious and helpful. Convenient location, comfy bed, clean beyond belief. Kona Hula Girl will be our first choice when we return to the Big Island.

Room Tip: Tiki Room has an ocean view.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 25, 2012

I share the positive comments of previous reviewers. Kailua-Kona was the last stop of a six week vacation through the South Pacific. After traveling through four countries I was looking for the comforts of American accommodations. Kona Hula Girl was ideal.

Instead of repeating glowing comments, here are a few details that may be of interest. Kailua-Kona is an exceptionally small area. Within 5-10 minutes I was able to walk to the ocean shops. Kona is a volcano island, so there are hills everywhere including the street up to Kona Hula Girl. If you are of average health you will be fine. Kailua-Kona is quite a small area with most tourist attractions and major stores located within four to five city blocks. Due to the unreliable bus system the only option is to walk or drive. A car is not really needed in Kailua-Kona, but definitely for anywhere else on the island.

There is a Wal-Mart and a grocery store about 15-20 minutes on foot. That is an excellent option for groceries and other items. There is also a daily farmer's market 5 minutes down the road. To far to walk, but about 5 minutes by car is a shopping plaza with major stores like ROSS.

Kona Hula Girl provides everything you need within the room and for a leisurely day at the beach. This is not a resort, but for travelers looking for a lovely place to stay while visiting Big Island. They are more than happy to assist in anyway, but will not disturb you during your stay. The owners really want their guests to have a place to get-a-way, relax and soak up Hawai'i. Doesn't that sound ideal?

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank CuriousTrvl
Reviewed April 25, 2012

Having just spent 8 nights in the Plumeria Room, I can surely say this was the brite spot of our vacation. It was a slice of heaven to wake up in, with lovely views and an ocean breeze, and a great place to come back to at the end of a long day out and about. Our room was clean, and perfect, and had nice little touches. The owners are an amazing bunch - they were always helping us + guiding us. Right there when we needed them, but quiet and behind the scenes when we didn't. They are also kind: they woke in the middle of the night and covered our motorbike with a tarp when rain broke out. Amazing! I never write reviews, but I was compelled because this place will not disappoint you at all. L. Davidson + Friend.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank primovodka
Reviewed December 7, 2011

I stayed in Kona Hula Girl as a solo traveler and really enjoyed it. The room was the perfect size for me and I loved the open windowless design. It included a fridge and microwave so I was able to make my own breakfast and tea in the morning. The owners went out of their way to assist me and provide directions. I loved the little patio at the front of the house as a place to sit outside and BBQ or simply get fresh air. The design was new and cheery and the bed was very comfortable. I stayed for two nights and wish I would have had more time there. I would recommend having a car while you stay there as it will make your life easier. I didn't have one so that meant I just had to walk more to get to the grocery store, etc. - but the walks were around 15 minutes so it didn't bother me except for at night when the road wasn't lit too well. The owners however offered me rides a couple of times, but I actually enjoyed the fresh air instead and walked! Overall - it was a great experience and because the owners lived at the property - it was very well maintained.

Room Tip: The rooms at the back of the house are much larger and the downstairs one even has an outdoor shower...
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed September 23, 2011

We stayed in this lovely property for 4 nights in mid-September. After many stays in resorts on Oahu and Maui, we were looking for a different experience, and Kona Hula Girl was the perfect choice. I was concerned about the fact that the rooms are not air conditioned, but our stay in the Tiki Room was quite comfortable, and we enjoyed the ocean view. I saw the other rooms, and all are beautiful. The Web site photos are spot on. We were happy with the location, which is minutes from town and several great beach parks. The Volcano National Park is about 1 1/2 hour drive and a nice day trip. The house is near a busy road, but we live in the city, so no problem for us. As others have said, Dean and Sherrie are gracious hosts who are available to give you helpful advice or leave you to enjoy as much privacy as you want. Thanks, Dean and Sherrie--and regards to Wes. When we return to the Big Island, we'll definitely choose Kona Hula Girl.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple