“Sunset tour is not to be missed.”
Review of Mauna Kea Summit

Mauna Kea Summit
Ranked #7 of 145 things to do in Kailua-Kona
More attraction details
Owner description: At 13,796 feet, this peak offers an incredible view of lava, desert, the valley and Mauna Loa.
Reviewed August 18, 2014

The trip to the summit of Mauna Kea was great. Do not miss it!!!!! We booked with Hawaii Sunset and Trail tours. EXCELLENT. They thought of everything. Very good dinner. Parkas for the cold and a very knowledgeable tour guide.

Write a ReviewReviews (4,074)
All reviews
in 41 reviews
"bring a jacket"
in 41 reviews

Reviewed August 17, 2014

I hope you brought your jacket to Hawaii, you'll need it as you climb through the clouds on Mauna Kea, you have two options, stop at the visitor center for some stargazing (roughly 10K elevation) or head for the summit(4WD suggested) either way you're in for fantastic views of the sunset, stars, planets and all that tiny stuff below. Be sure to add some stargazing apps to your phone.

2  Thank Liqidarts
Reviewed August 17, 2014

I travelled to the summit of Mauna Kea after visiting Rainbow and Akaka Falls. We had rented a 4wheel drive and were able to drive on our own which was a great decision because the tour is about 200/person. I knew it might be cold so I was prepared but actually it was not snowing. After being on the summit , I took advantage of the star gazing that is organized by the state park and it was really worthwhile. I think this a great place

1  Thank CaroWright
Reviewed August 15, 2014

The drive is relatively short and even the dirt bits are not too bad. That may change with season and level of maintenance. We stopped to the recommended 30 minutes "to acclimatise" but two of our group suffered some ill effects at the summit within 10 minutes of arrival and minimal physical exertion. We descended straight away. Even when Hawaii is clouded over the summit may be clear. Check the details before you go at http://www.ifa.hawaii.edu/info/vis/visiting-mauna-kea/visiting-the-summit.html. Also heed the warnings about the descent. Use engine braking!! (ie low gear). Otherwise I must do while in Hawaii....simply stunning

3  Thank blueswarrior
See more reviews
Reviewed August 14, 2014

If you are on the Big Island, this is a must do. It was the best sunset I have ever seen. We knew we were going to the summit so threw a light jacket in our luggage. It helped a little. If you are up for it, I would recommend renting a 4wd vehicle. If you take a car to the top, you risk damaging it and its low gear won’t be as low as a 4wd. I debated on taking a tour to the top in a 4WD van but the cost of the tour for a family of 4 was way more that it cost me to rent a 4 door jeep for the week. We packed sandwiched and ate at the visitor center. We hung out at the visitor center for about an hour to make sure we acclimate to the altitude with not problems. I didn’t want anyone getting sick up top and miss the sunset. The view is amazing up top and the observatories add to the coolness. There is a walking trail that goes to the tip top of the mountain. My 19 and 16 year old boys went to the top. Yes! It’s cold at the summit. Other than the rental vehicle, the trip to the summit was free.

6  Thank MSU1992