“Took the plunge...glad WE did!”

Atlantis Submarines Kona
Book In Advance
More Info
$127.52*
and up
Atlantis Kona Submarine Adventure
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Get below the surface to Hawaii's hidden paradise! Experience the magic of Kona with the Atlantis Adventure submarine tour and create lifetime memories as you explore our majestic waters of Kailua-Kona.
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Activities for older children, Stairs / elevator
Reviewed November 21, 2012

This excursion (through NCL) was one my spouse wanted to go on, but I was a bit leery. However, since he goes on other things for me, I said YES. I knew I could do the vertical ladder but being enclosed that was another thing. From the start the employees are a lot of fun, very professional & got all on board without incident. Once they closed the door to the sub, it was a very weird feeling, as we noticed the depth reader, it became MORE intense (for us). As we dived further to the ocean floor, it was enchanting to see the sea world around us. A few sitting on the other side managed to see a shark but we still saw many beautiful fish. The heart-wrenching part was when we were at 107 FEET below we saw the remains of a ship wreck. It made one stop to think, esp. as we scraped along the bottom of the ocean - that almost did it for my husband. Something kids will love is HOW the colors of our clothes change at each level. I would have sworn the man next to me had a vibrant purple shirt on (as the guide asked us to look around at others clothing), but he (& his wife) assured me that it was BLUE. Unreal....For the faint of heart, try it. IF I did it, you can too and you will NOT regret it!!!

1  Thank JackieHobo
in 118 reviews
"feet"
in 133 reviews

Reviewed November 16, 2012

Diane is who booked my tour in Kona. She was very kind and I knew that it would be a good experience to chose the submarine ride, but what made them EXCELLENT in my opinion, is when they appreciated my military service!!! I had two activities to chose from that day for our trip and when I spoke with Diane and found out they actually appreciate the veterans, hands down, I chose Atlantis submarine!! I highly recommend their tour!!

2  Thank Gingerrr20
Reviewed November 11, 2012 via mobile

I love looking at fish!
If this activity is fun for you then by all means go on the sub
+ you may see a shark or an octopus
- you may see nothing
I would go again but there are a few annoying things
You have to wait out in the sun to board the boat to get to the sub
They make you take a photo I hate that and then try and sell it to you for a ridiculous amount of money
Bonus try the Maui divers unlock the treasure chest or pearl diver --- pearls are beautiful

1  Thank Alexandria L
Reviewed October 25, 2012

If you want to see beautiful sea life and coral reefs, rent a scuba diving video and enjoy with popcorn. If you are color blind and don't care about the $116 cost per adult, take this tour. Although our son enjoyed this excursion, the cost in comparison to other tours we took left us feeling cheated.

The shipwrecks you see would be cool if there was some interesting story or the boats were actually big ships. We did a glass bottom boat tour in the Cayman Islands which had "Real" shipwrecks and had all the color you could hope for so I guess we were expecting something more. Of course when you pay $116 per person, I feel entitled to expect more.

At least the crew was friendly and the sub was clean and comfortable.

1  Thank Steve D
See more reviews
Reviewed October 7, 2012

First off: The best way to see underwater sealife in the Big Island is to snorkel a lovely, pristine reef like Kealakekua Bay. It's super-easy. All you have to do is float upside down and breathe through your mouth. The experience is divine. (See my review about Seaquest Tours)

But, if are unable or unwilling to snorkel and you want to see underwater reef life, Atlantis is your next best bet. It's a true underwater submarine. The tour is kind of short for the money--about 45 minutes for roughly $100 or so. But you'll see a lot of marine life, some cool shipwrecks, and maybe a shark. Color is a little dimmed and distorted at these depths, not like the brillant colors you get in snorkeling a reef. But as second-best underwater experiences go, it's worth the trip.

The Captain of the sub is very knowledgeable about sea life and will bring your attention to various kinds of fish (and if you're lucky, sharks). You also are provided a handy-dandy fish identification guide. I recommend you not bother trying to take pictures out the windows and just enjoy the experience. The pics probably won't come out too well anyway due to the thick windows, depth, and color distortion.

Also, they provided a great safety orientation, which is the sign of a responsible, professional company.

2  Thank t_gale