Tripadvisor
Kailua-Kona
Open today: 10:00 AM - 4:00 PM
Review Highlights
What you didn’t know about vanilla!?!

Gave a call early am and did not expect an answer but rather a machine. But no, Steve answered and... read more

Reviewed 2 days ago
arlene727
Ottawa, Canada
via mobile
Very cool tour!

This was really interesting. It was in a beautiful setting, had a great tour guide, really nice... read more

Reviewed 5 days ago

from $133.22
from $193.21
from $116.37
More Info
All reviews vanilla ice cream vanilla extract beans vanilla farm great tour informative tour real vanilla body lotion farm manager gift shop vanilla pod growing area orchid plants growing process showing how kona airport learn something
Selected filters
Reviewed January 15, 2020 via mobile

Although the gift shop and (part of the) grounds can be visited without a tour, I recommend to do the approx 1 hr tour to learn everything about vanilla from hatching plants to growing and drying beans. A cup of tasty vanilla ice cream is free with the tour, and many vanilla items are on sale.

1  Thank trooper92
Reviewed January 14, 2020

We visited the Vanillerie in early January, and absolutely loved the people (especially Steve, our tour guide) and learning about how vanilla is grown. There's a reason good, and authentic, vanilla is such a precious commodity. It takes about five years of careful nurturing, tending, curing, etc., to get a vanilla bean to market. Those plants and beans need a lot of loving attention along the way. Steve did an excellent job of explaining the entire process. The site is beautiful, and the owners--another small family-owned operation--are involved in other environmentally conscientious agricultural ventures. The vanilla is to die for, and they sell really cool vanilla kits so you can make your own fresh vanilla extract.

Reviewed January 9, 2020

I was inspired to visit after Googling things to do in Kona and The Vanillerie came up. I definitely enjoyed my visit. I met Steve, the manager, who was friendly as well as Leslie, who gave the tour around the grounds. She was a fantastic tour guide with lots of friendly and positive energy. (I can't believe she's 87! Goals.) She seemed to have a true generosity of spirit about her which I admired. Learning about the vanilla growing experience was interesting and worthwhile. I only wish that we got to see the main farmer, JR, in action. I would have loved for him to be part of the tour as well, or at least hear from him in some capacity, considering he is the mastermind behind all the vanilla magic. When I arrived, I assumed there would have been a cafe or vanilla foods we could order. Opening a little cafe and offering a menu would take this place to the next level and I would love to eat food infused with the vanilla they grow there. The ice cream however was a great treat, thank you!

1  Thank nke910
JeannieVanilla, Owner at The Vanillerie, responded to this reviewResponded January 14, 2020

Thank you so much for visiting The Vanillerie, we are so happy you enjoyed your tour. We are very blessed to have Lezleigh, as our new addition to our team. She is very enthusiastic and loves working with the public. She did mention during your tour about vanilla having anti aging qualities, however, she is not 87 and was joking about that fact.

Our future goal is to offer more food products, so please stay tuned.

Aloha,

The Vanillerie

Reviewed January 6, 2020

Learning about all the production was almost as fun as tasting the vanilla ice cream that came as part of the tour! What a great operation that is truly focussed on sustainable quality. Great place to visit with family or friends

Date of experience: December 2019
1  Thank N4813IOpatrickl
Reviewed January 4, 2020 via mobile

Lots of fun and educational. Air-conditioning while waiting for the start of the tour was very welcoming.However, the group was a little too large so if you were at the back you missed a lot. The final treat was ice cream made from their vanilla. Fabulous!

Date of experience: December 2019