Open today: 10:00 AM - 3:00 PM
Review Highlights
amazing experience with a cool team!

stephanie and i (yannik) made a night dive and saw some very beautiful mantas and other interesting... read more

Reviewed 1 week ago
Safari12497666406
via mobile
One of the best dive operators anywhere!

I have been diving for nearly 40 years and Kona Diving Company is one of best. They are extremely... read more

Reviewed 2 weeks ago
CNMark

Recommended experiences in and around Island of Hawaii
from $85.00
from $220.32
from $139.00
from $267.02
1,237 results
All reviews manta night dive dive master brownie dive shop hot shower the big island fish air consumption great dive morning dives two tank safety stop experienced divers captain mike eagle rays octopus rental gear
Selected filters
Reviewed July 9, 2018

What an amazing experience with KDC. We dove multiple days with KDC - always a different site each day.

Crew: All staff were professional, knowledgeable, and friendly. Dive masters we interacted with included: Daniel and Alex, but mostly with Hailey (4 out of 6 days). All were great at briefing before each dive site and pointing out interesting things to see. Communication before, during, and after each dive was succinct and clear. Safety/boat briefings were informative. All DMs were extremely patient. Hailey's knowledge of marine life is amazing. Captains Jeff and Shane were extremely helpful when getting back to the boat. They were able to save our dive when the O-ring on our wireless air transmitter failed on the boat. They were also able to change out a worn down mouthpiece on our regulator. All crew we met had been diving with KDC for multiple years (sometimes 5+) further enhancing the experience and validating KDC as a solid dive outfit.

Kerry, if you're reading this, your crew deserves a raise.

Dives: We did a night manta dive, a long range 3 tank dive, but mostly 2 tank day dives. Crew will set up gear and change your tanks for you in between dives. Rental gear available. 3 and 5 mm wetsuits available. Air and Nitrox available. Dives were limited based on your air consumption as opposed to a timed dive (one of the divers in our group dove for 90+ minutes!). The typical day starts at 7:45 am and ends anywhere between 12-2 pm. We had at most 5 people per dive master. Discounts applied to multi-day dive packages (inquire while booking).

*Pro tip: If you do the Nitrox e-learning through PADI, you can pay $50 to do the check-off with KDC and receive free Nitrox throughout your trip (Nitrox is usually $10 extra per tank).*

Food/Beverages: Hot water to make soups, hot cocoa, and tea. Cold water. Soda and soft drinks. Sandwich wraps. Brownies (as good as mentioned in other reviews).

Amenities: toilet (very basic), hot shower.

Overall experience: 5/5. Would definitely go with KDC again. The crew was what made it memorable.

Date of experience: July 2018
Reviewed July 8, 2018 via mobile

I've only done 44 dives so I'm not very experienced but I've dived in Mexico, Egypt, Canada and Hawaii and so far Hailey was THE BEST dive master I've had BY FAR, much better even than my diving instructors. She's extremely passionate, knowledgable, helpful and friendly but not at all bossy. I'd go diving with her again any time. Having her as a dive master is a good enough reason to go diving with Kona DC. Overall I did 12 dives with this company and I'm very pleased with everything. They are very professional and friendly. The only improvement I'd suggest is please remember that vegans also need to eat carbs (e.g. wheat wraps), fat (e.g. avocado) and protein (e.g. tofu) - not just vegetables... Still, thank you for a wonderful experience!

Date of experience: July 2018
Reviewed July 1, 2018 via mobile

Great company but the manta dive is an environmental disaster. I felt so guilty going on it after seeing what happens. 8-10 Dive boats jam into a cove... the divers crowd into the water. Coral damage then attract the mantas with intense light. The entire process felt very anti-ocean safety & preservationist the creatures that call the area home. The other dives with this company are awesome as are the guides. The manta trip just feels and looks wrong !

1  Thank DrBSGSAN
Reviewed June 30, 2018

Me, my dad and brother went out with Sarah, Sophie, and Captain Shane. They made us feel completely safe and comfortable with them, as well as providing us with a few laughs. They were all clearly experienced and had a passion for what they did. They took us out on two great dives, with the second being the manta night dive. The night dive was truly something else. We saw multiple mantas gracefully eat some plankton dinner which was really magical. 12/10 would recommend!!

Reviewed June 27, 2018 via mobile

I was a bit nervous about my first night dive, however we were in great hands with this crew. Excellent safety & dive briefing, lots to snack on and hot drinks to keep you warm.
The manta dive was truely enchanting, our dive masters watched over us and kept an eye on our air whilst we sat on the ocean floor and watched the show. I highly recommend the two dive afternoon trip with these guys.
Monique & Ross