Open today: 10:00 AM - 3:00 PM
Review Highlights
amazing experience with a cool team!

stephanie and i (yannik) made a night dive and saw some very beautiful mantas and other interesting... read more

Reviewed 1 week ago
Safari12497666406
via mobile
One of the best dive operators anywhere!

I have been diving for nearly 40 years and Kona Diving Company is one of best. They are extremely... read more

Reviewed 2 weeks ago
CNMark

Recommended experiences in and around Island of Hawaii
from $85.00
from $220.32
from $139.00
from $267.02
1,237 results
All reviews manta night dive dive master brownie dive shop hot shower the big island fish air consumption great dive morning dives two tank safety stop experienced divers captain mike eagle rays octopus rental gear
Selected filters
Reviewed May 29, 2018

This team of divers are great! We dove with them two years ago and then again last week. They are accommodating at every level. I am a little less adventurous than my husband and didn't care for the drop-offs. So my dives tended to be around the 50 feet mark which suited me fine. Kerry, Ryan, Daveed, Sophy, Alex, and Jeff. Always accommodating. These guys are really the best and I wouldn't go any place else. See you next year! A special thanks to Daveed for the go-pro pic.
Aloha,
Caroline and Chris

Reviewed May 25, 2018 via mobile

Booked ourselves a 2-tank PM charter with KDC during our time on Big Island and had such a wonderful time with the crew on Hale Kai - Captain Shaggy and our dive guides Max and Sophie. They were warm and funny, but also really professional and knowledgeable about local marine life. The boat was great too and we loved the thoughtful provisions they had onboard for us.
The night dive in particular was amazing as we sat under 11 beautiful mantas swimming above and around us. Definitely recommend doing the night dive/diving with them on the island!

Reviewed May 23, 2018 via mobile

I am in Kona solo for four days prior to a business trip, I felt like I had to explore the island while having the luxury of being here.

My friends wife was born in Kona and she recommended me to Kona Diving Company and advised the Night Manta Rays Dive or Snorkel is what Kona is known for. I am eternally grateful for that advice.

I scheduled in advance I appreciated the questionnaire and professional booking staff. When I arrived at their dive shop everyone was so bubbly and friendly. I felt super comfy with my choice is dive companies.

Our Captain was pleasant, funny and very helpful. I hadn’t been diving in almost two years due to a terrible motor vehicle accident and to say I was nervous would be an understatement however, I’ve been diving for a decade and it’s like riding a bike, right?

We do an initial dive in the same general vicinity with a myriad of beautiful fish and sea life. Luke, the Dive Master and my own personal hero made certain to show us and explain the different creatures we would encounter and point them out during the dive. We even saw a few Manta as the sun was setting. This reef is vibrant with so much aquatic life I was completely mesmerized. The glowing colors at this depth were surprising.

Between dives we had food and hung out and Mark explained about the Manta Rays their history the names of the ones we may see as well as their unique markings.

The night dive decent could have been scary however it wasn’t in the least. Luke was very specific and we all went down together and then he led us to a perfect spot near the campfire.

Having the Mantas feed on plankton and swirl allay orchestrated around us and right above our heads was one of the most beautiful experiences I have ever encountered. I am still completely awestruck.

A female monk seal we were advised may pop up if we were lucky was so playful and huge! She was having quite a time swirling around near us. We even had a sneaky eel hide between us and then pop out into the light. I felt as though I was living in a Disney movie they were all so charismatic.

Luke made sure to check on all of us throughout the experience and Kona Diving has their own secrets to make sure we have an exceptionally special encounter. And we did.

I wish I were staying longer as I would experience it all over again, but I will. When I return to Kona. And the only Dive Company I will use is theirs.

1  Thank mw14035
Reviewed May 14, 2018

I recently won a Kona Diving Company "Discover Scuba Diving" gift certificate for two, which I used to take my mother scuba diving for Mother's Day. Both of us are lifelong Hawai‘i residents and although we've done some snorkeling over the years we've never scuba dived. Our crew were Alex, Sophia, and Captain Tara. Everyone on the crew was friendly, helpful, and competent. Sophy was our instructor, clearly and methodically going through everything we needed to know. I'm comfortable swimming in any depth of water but have never been fully comfortable with snorkel equipment so I was worried how I would do with scuba gear. Sophy patiently gave me as much time and practice with the skills as I needed and was great at troubleshooting my mask issues. Before I knew it I was swimming around at 40 feet deep, totally happy and without trouble. During our two dives Sophy kept a close eye on us, checking in on us frequently with eye contact and hand signals and rescuing us when our buoyancy got away from us. I have never been so relaxed and comfortable underwater in my life. I couldn't believe how quickly the time whizzed by, I was having too much fun. To my surprise I enjoyed scuba more than I've ever enjoyed snorkeling, although I'm looking forward to applying my dive skills to snorkeling in the future. I expect I will probably continue on to a scuba certification in the future. Sophy is an excellent teacher and a true professional, you will feel comfortable and safe with her.

Reviewed May 1, 2018 via mobile

We’ve been to Everest, Bali and beyond. That said the Kona Diving Company Manta Ray dive experience is one of the top experiences of my life. Most important is the team; Captain Mike, Daniel (who loves Bali), DiveMaster Luchas, and Dive Master Sophie , who kept me in her - brilliant - mind’s eye throughout the night dive until I was back on the boat. Boy did this matter. The team was outstanding and were constantly look out for our needs and situation underwater and above. Case in point Sophie listened and heard we were planning to go to the Volcano (@10,000’ the next day. She explained that you need 18 hrs before going above 1500’ otherwise there was a risk of (I believe it was) nitrogen narcosis (best to ask Sophie) and when during the dive I was having trouble with getting settled on the seabed to engage with the mantas, she gave me a couple of rocks to hold me down and stabilize.

Now to the dive itself. First, we were fortunate there was plenty of plankton in the water. We were favored by the currents. It all kind of sneaks up on you for I did not know what to expect. What was a “campfire?” It was the underground lights that attracted the mantas along with our hand held lights, which we were taught to keep above our heads. The spot was SHARED with other dive companies which enhanced the experience. So it was a phenomenal scene with maybe 30 or more spots of light shooting up into the ocean. We were at maybe 35-40’.

Then it happened...whoosh this giant being with a 12-13’ wing span can by me from behind. (Luchas had thoroughly prepped us) then another and another and more of the same size (maybe 8) began their exquisite dance while consuming plankton. It was an ancient ritual you were instantly made part of. You can think about Avatar or Wakanda; yet this was the real thing, ever more profound. For this diver it was a holy event. The divine was made manifest. I could not help but wonder in whose mind’s eye these awesome creatures and ourselves were created? There was a magnificent and instant bond and relationship of trust between the mantas and the divers. They came with in inches again and again. Trust it’s that simple and complex.

I’m hoping Serge our dive buddy will share the great video he shot with Kona Diving Company and the rest of us. Sophie’s working on that too. I got some peaks into his viewfinder. Wow!
Again my thanks to the Kona Diving Company.

Deeply moved,