“Great Manta Ray night snorkel”

Kona Diving Company
More attraction details
Owner description: Awarded the Tripadvisor Certificate of Excellence for 2014, Kona Diving Company offers SCUBA diving adventures off of their custom dive boat on the Kona coast of the Big Island of Hawaii. Contact us for certification of all levels, introductory dives & night dives/manta ray dives. Multi-day dive packages available. A wonderful shop and friendly staff will welcome you!
Reviewed December 26, 2013

My wife and went on a Manta Ray night snorkel in December of 2013 and highly recommend Kona Diving Company. First let me say that I agree this is one of the top snorkel/diving experiences. The Manta Ray is a graceful and beautiful create to experience first hand. This was my wife's first experience snorkeling other than a few minutes that morning in a lagoon. The guides are very safety conscience and made the effort to make sure inexperienced, and experienced people are comfortable and safe. Very professional from taking our reservation to checkin and of course the dive trip. While not beyond intro-scuba myself the divers on the trip made several comments on how professional and thorough the dive master was and how much they enjoyed the dive. A lot of attention is made to details down to maintaining wet and dry areas of the boat. They had salt water buckets for prepping your mask and freshwater for cleaning your gear and underwater camera. They can supply any gear you need. Got mask and snorkel and just need flippers and a wetsuit, no problem. I was able to see they run a full shop, tanks to clean all the gear and suits between use. The diver in charge of then snorkel group for our tour had a marine biology degree, more than just snorkeling trip we had a great review of the sea life in the area and a great talk on the Manta Rays themselves. We will certainly use Kona Diving again when on the big island.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,022)
All reviews
in 16 reviews
"morning dives"
in 26 reviews

Reviewed December 21, 2013

We had 2 great dives with Kona Diving Company, then the night manta ray dive as our last dive. I said to my wife as we got back on the boat, "That was the best dive of my life." She said, "That was the best experience of my life." I cannot do it justice except to say imagine Cirque de Soliel with mantas underwater. The biggest had a 12' wingspan. The company is kind, laid back (I got to do a 72 minute dive. I am good with my air, but no company has ever let me do that.) They love to dive, and unlike most, they aren't on a schedule. We will be back.

1  Thank sjw125
Reviewed December 21, 2013

We found Kona Diving Company through tripadvisor and found them to be one of the best companies, with the best people, that we have ever encountered. We had a couple of discover scuba dives from various places but wanted to get PADI certified and what better place to get it done than in Hawaii! They answered all of our questions and made all of the arrangements prior to our arrival and even guided us through the e-learning process so all of our bookwork would be completed and we could focus on diving when we arrived.

Our instructor, David, was fantastic! Through his enthusiasm and guidance we not only received our certification but one of the best experiences ever. David was extremely thorough and made sure that we were comfortable with every skill before proceeding. We worked the required skills in during our dives but spent a lot of time checking out the amazing underwater world around Kona.

The main thing that makes KDC stand out to us is the friendly staff and service. These people genuinely love what they do and it shows. Every person that we encountered, from the people in the shop (Ian, Ryan), to the people on the boat (Captain Jeff, and all of the KDC divers), and especially our instructor (David), made us feel comfortable and like part of the family. We also met several people on each trip that have been diving with KDC for years and told us that they wouldn't dive with anyone else on the island, and we can see why.

If you are planning on diving in Kona, you can't go wrong with Kona Diving Company.

Reviewed December 19, 2013

I have been diving for 10 yrs but this was my first time ever going someplace nice to dive. Kona Diving Company made it amazing. Everyone I dealt with was professional, easy going and very friendly. The pre dive briefing was always full of useful info including pics of the more common and exotic fish you would be seeing at the particular dive sites. The DM's went out of their way to show us the amazing sites underwater. They were very knowledgeable about all the sites we dove at. Between dives they had snacks, wraps, coco, tea, water, soda, juice, and brownies to partake in. I did the night manta ray dive as well. The day I was suppose to do it the weather wasn't the best and visibility was poor so they rescheduled for the following night. We had 4 mantas at our location. It was absolutely amazing! I would for sure dive with Kona Diving Company again and would recommend them to anyone visiting the Big Island.

1  Thank Jill L
See more reviews
Reviewed December 16, 2013

My boyfriend and I did the manta ray night snorkel. I'm actually pretty scared of the ocean and before coming to Hawaii, had only been swimming in the ocean 4 or 5 times. I'd only gone snorkeling once, and that was just a few days before in Hanauma Bay.

Our guide, Jordan, was really cool and didn't make me feel bad about my fears at all. She was so patient with me but still kept things moving for the other, less terrified snorkelers. David, who stayed on the boat during the snorkels/dives, was also very understanding and helpful.

During the day snorkel, Jordan let us know that there was a pair of dolphins, a mother and a juvenile, in the area, and led us on a swim to go find them - we ended up only feet away from them.

I'm confident that this company is the absolute best to go night snorkeling with, because they wait a good while before getting in the water after nightfall. This allows for other groups to start attracting plankton and, subsequently but inevitably, the mantas. By the time we hit the water, the mantas were in full force and we got to enjoy them for the entirety of our snorkel. The mantas were SO cool - we only got to see about 5, but that was more than enough. They came so close!

As an ocean advocate, I was a little worried about how the snorkeling/diving tourism affects the mantas, but everyone at Kona was so knowledgeable about the ecosystem and respectful of the mantas that my fears were largely alleviated.

Y'all should think about bringing some cash on the boat to tip these guys - I unfortunately didn't think about it and didn't have much on me, but they definitely deserved it.

One of the coolest things I've ever done in my life and I'm so glad I did it with Kona.

1  Thank rasputinlives