“First Whale of the season and we're going to Disneyland!”

Kona Diving Company
Ranked #4 of 199 Tours in Kailua-Kona
More attraction details
Owner description: Awarded the Tripadvisor Certificate of Excellence for 2014, Kona Diving Company offers SCUBA diving adventures off of their custom dive boat on the Kona coast of the Big Island of Hawaii. Contact us for certification of all levels, introductory dives & night dives/manta ray dives. Multi-day dive packages available. A wonderful shop and friendly staff will welcome you!
Martinez, California, United States
“First Whale of the season and we're going to Disneyland!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2013

October 31, 2013.
Saw a breach after David called a spout. First of the season! Way off in the distance but happy! Coincidentally (maybe not so much), almost exactly two years ago (check it out, I reviewed it then) I was on a dive with this great crew and saw the first whale of the season. Megaptera novaeangliae karma.
Then "we're going to Disneyland!" And it was. Halfway between Pawai Bay and the Old Airport (a very short distance), this has probably been my best aquarium dive (I've had at least a dozen previous dives with KDC). Ever. The number and variety of species was, well, like swimming in an aquarium. A big one with coral and. . . I can't explain it. Do it. You will value the experience.
Next dive was just a bit south to the old airport and a good one it was.
November 5.
Garden eel cove (done that more than any . . .) but still pretty good. Got into the middle of a school of fish with my GoPro - nice result. Then the Manta Ray dive. I've done it 4x before and it is one of the most transporting experiences (if you know what I mean, and I think you do) of my life. Every time. I've seen as many as 18, and as few as one. This, my first night dive with my GoPro, 29 mantas. 29! After awhile, I did not know which way to shoot. Did'nt matter. And since the great crews at KDC go in late and come out late, we had that group of mantas all to ourselves for about 10 minutes. First time I've had mantas hit my light. Truly incredible night at the Campfire.
And of course, the crews at KDC are THE best. I have dives with three other companies on the Big Island, all good, all pros, but the KDC crew is a notch up. Curly koa of the dive world.

Kailua-Kona, Hawaii
“"Just give them a GO" and then you will KNOW”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2013

I can't say enough GREAT things about this shop. I have round 400 dives in Kona. I have dove with 5 shops in Kona. KDC is a few "CLICKS" above all of the others. Each member is balanced, knowledgeable, experienced, friendly, and sincere. They are ALL ALWAYS cheerful and jump right in to assist each diver. Their mission is to provide their clients with a "unique and special" experience in these beautiful waters. During the dives each dive master takes pride in sharing th waters and showing the divers everything that is possible to see. On a great day, out in the deep blue, there are dolphins, eagle rays, hammer heads, and manta rays. Beneath us, on the reefs and in coral heads, the dive masters spot harlequin shrimp, octopus, leaf scorpion fish, frogfish, and an array of eels, reef fish, crustaceans, nudibranchs, divided flat worms, and more. They always work hard to keep us all busy. Their meals top side have an assortment of hawaiian canned drinks, hot chocolate, soup, teas, trail mix, tortilla roll sandwiches, goldfish crackers, and of course Kerry's extremely awesome homemade brownies. Enough said - "Just give them a go".

Visited November 2013
Seattle, Washington
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Excellent Diving Company”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2013

We did two AM dives with Kona Dive Company. From the boat captain to the dive guide (Billy), everybody was focused on making our experience a enjoyable and memorable one. As relatively new divers, we were shown new ways of doing things, but always felt comfortable that the dive guide was watching out for us. Would highly recommend this company for dive excursions in Kona. And would definitely recommend doing the manta ray dive, though we didn't get to do it with Kona Diving.

1 Thank Wes C
Kelso, Washington
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Great Dive Trip!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2013

What an awesome 9 days with a great dive team. Every detail is taken care of by this knowledgable crew. The long range 3-tank day was a definite highlight, with dolphins around the boat three different times that day.
We will be back next year, and wouldn't think about diving with anyone else!

Northern California, USA
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Best way to see Mantas”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2013

We snorkeled with the Manta Rays. The staff is kind, going out of their way to make sure everyone on board was having a good experience. They were also very safety conscious, which was appreciated. The whole package was great. First, they get your size for the equipment, then you meet at the boat. When I told them that I am always cold, they provided an extra thick wetsuit. There were 2 snorkeling sessions, warm drinks and sandwiches, hot water to rinse off with, a lot of entertaining information about the mantas, the sea life we saw, and what to expect during the manta viewing. Yes, there were lots of other boats and groups, but they seem to be working together to stagger the groups so everyone gets some time with the Mantas.
We were so impressed with the KDC. Thank you all for a great trip.